Claire Shipman is off-line
24 January 2012 07:48
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Hello everyone,

This mua's forum is pretty boring so I thought i'd spice it up a little!

List below whats the most scary or worrying thing a model / client has said to you as an mua that they do to themselves in thier path to look beautiful. Heres my horror stories below that make me cringe at the thought, models you can join in to if you dare to admit the scary things you do to look beautiful!

Using nail glue to stick on eyelashes when they have ran out of eyelash glue but cant live without lashes

Spraying the face with hair spray to set make up

Accidently using nail polish remover to take off eye make up

So lets hear it...

Claire

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
24 January 2012 07:57
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

I thought using hairspray to set your face was normal! I've never done it myself but have seen my mates do it.

Using nail varnish remover to take off your eye makeup.... oh noooo...

Sorry got nothing to add I think I only do normal beauty stuff!

Ariana Wood is off-line
24 January 2012 08:22
ArianaWood
Model

Kent
Maidstone

Ahh, the nail glue on eyelashes sounds horrific.

I sometimes use a home made asprin mask to make the skin soft and take off some layers of dead skin, which really makes my Mum worry...but as long as you don't go near your eyes, I've always found it works well.

24 January 2012 09:41
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from JenSomerfield
I thought using hairspray to set your face was normal! I've never done it myself but have seen my mates do it. Using nail varnish remover to take off your eye makeup.... oh noooo... Sorry got nothing to add I think I only do normal beauty stuff!

Well you know how hairspray makes your hair crispy, imigine what it does to your face blocking your pores etc its not made for spraying on your face, i've never quite understood this one when there are so many make up setting sprays on the market now lol

clearly people dont care about there eyesight lol!

x

24 January 2012 10:20
Nel05
Model

I don't do this anymore, but when I was in school I liked my pencil eyeliner really dark. For some reason applying a black eyeliner "normally" just wasn't enough. So I used to burn the end of the liner with a lighter until the end went soft, then apply.

Unfortunatly one day I burned too long and when applying, the end just melted and spread around my eyeball.

*cringe*

I never did that ever again.

Chanelle x

Jade Crean is off-line
24 January 2012 10:28
JadeCreanMUA
Make-up Artist

West Midlands
Birmingham

I once worked with a model who didn't eat anything for two days before a shoot!
This is an alien concept to me, I can barely stand up if I haven't eaten for just a few hours!

24 January 2012 10:28
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

@ Ariana: I know the nail glue thing was the worst thing I've ever heard! Wow an aspirin mask, never heard of that one so dont really know enough about it to say if its right or wrong.

@ Chanelle: Oh dear, well at least eyeliners are pretty safe near your eyes, although in large hot quantities perhaps not that great! You live and learn lol!

24 January 2012 10:34
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from JadeCreanMUA
I once worked with a model who didn't eat anything for two days before a shoot! This is an alien concept to me, I can barely stand up if I haven't eaten for just a few hours!

Unfortunatley this seems to be a regular occurance, and a very sad one. I worked with a girl who did exactly the same and just eat a few raisens to keep her energy levels up  during the shoot and with influences like Kate Moss stating in an interview: "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" theres just no hope!!

Im exactly the same, I get shakey, feel sick and very groggy if i dont eat lol!

Chrissie Red is off-lineSilver Member
24 January 2012 10:43
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perth/Coupar Angus

Quote from JadeCreanMUA
I once worked with a model who didn't eat anything for two days before a shoot! This is an alien concept to me, I can barely stand up if I haven't eaten for just a few hours!

2 days.. I'm guessing she either didn't shoot much or never ate. I remember when I started I wouldn't eat before a shoot, I learned my lesson though one day when I had an evening shoot It was unusually warm weather and I passed out. I still don't eat in the morning if I have a shoot starting early but lunch or at least something in the afternoon is needed. To be honest though I generally look more toned the more shoots I do - its amazing how a bit of stretching and things make all the difference

I have been known to put toothpaste on spots before bed, it never really works for me though
I use conditioner on my legs before shaving and constantly smother myself in body cream to stop them getting itchy - I'm sure the same can be said for most folks though!

24 January 2012 10:48
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

The toothpaste things a bit of an old wives tale

Eeek I hate the itching that comes with shaving, I shave with baby oil and that stops the itching the day after, and makes your skin really soft, worth a try!

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Annakalek Tiinak WildChildSubarna
Andy_B Daddylonglense dommclean epsmith headsnipper kemphotograph lysander MartinB palwall shandyman yellow_peril