Reminder Secure

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 - sound's awful!!! Help!

Dominic Fisher is off-lineSilver Member
19 February 2012 11:21
Dom
Photographer
Dom
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Now then, my trusty Sigma lens has started to make a high pitched screech when focusing and I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the subject. I could have sworn I have noticed a drop in it's sharpness to go along with this, though I may just be imagining it as the screech is making me paraniod!

Is this something that anyone has come across before? The lens is well used though cared for extremely well, is it a general wear and tear issue?

And can anyone recommend somewhere not a million miles from me in sunny Doncaster to take it to??? Leeds, Sheffield not a problem... Bearing in mind the cost of a second hand lens, may just be cheaper to replace if repair is likely to be expensive.... No idea so any guidance or advice would be very helpful!

Dom
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
19 February 2012 11:22
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

What camera are you using

Dominic Fisher is off-lineSilver Member
19 February 2012 11:29
Dom
Photographer
Dom
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Quote from frankpht
What camera are you using

5D MkII.....

But I have been using this for approx 6months and this has only just developed in the last 4 weeks....
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
20 February 2012 15:32
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

"Is this something that anyone has come across before? The lens is well used though cared for extremely well, is it a general wear and tear issue?"

i have a canon 50mm that does that too. it screeches when its focussing.
i purchased it "for a song" after a friend got worried about it and wanted rid of it.
£5 for a 50mm canon lens aint bad going right ?

its been months since i took possession of the lens, and its continued to work
just fine. the noise is *exactly* the same now as when i 'stole' it off my friend

if the autofocus ends up dying i plan to leave it broken and use it as a manual
focus (assuming that still works ?).

my theory is that it had been mishandled by trying to manual focus with af switched on
or had been trying to focus automagically whilst someone held the focus ring, and
made the gears jump out of synch. its probably broken, but not completely.

as in all mechanical things: its not broken or reapaired, it IN A STATE OF REPAIR.

i'd leave yours in its current state of repair until something happens; as you wrote
it's likely to be a costly strip down and gear replacement. why bother unless you
need a silent lens (theatre / event shots etc).

all the best, ~a

Matthew G is off-line
21 February 2012 06:35
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I know this might sound nuts.... but if it were me and i wanted to take a gamble.... I'd research how you take them apart.. they must be quite easy. I'd then perhaps just put a little wd40 on the autofocus mechanism... The worst case, you have a broken lens, the best case, it cures it! :-)

PJ is off-line
21 February 2012 08:49
PJPhotograper
Photographer

Birmingham

Happened to mine .Autofocus kaput.£80 plus to be repaired.2 years ago .And happened again last week!!!

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
22 February 2012 15:31
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

......wd40

nahhhh dont use any lubes at all.... they
attract dirt and gunge will soon build up inside.

i think lenses are made to run dry.

diipii is off-line
25 February 2012 16:54
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Why use auto focus ?
How does your lens know where you want it sharp ?
It only happens all the time.

62 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alexabell Bryonysmith burno Cassandrafreeman charlotte_x Charlotte90 Chloe_L dramaqueen mandymack mel_adams83 Roxyrogers Sophiadelane sxhazel ZoBow
alasdairew andypandy50 ansonphotography Barrysmiles Blancho chicimages cliffc craig davidhibberd Doctor Elwood Flawless_photo gerry99111 gfsphotography Gunnar1975 inthelens jayfish jrjstanford kelper_uk Kevbee lfc9_uk locophotography maximusone michaelJ paddyg para Paul_Simister photosbymarshall Profilepictures redtail Ron_H RPMan russeld scruff sebsm99 Simon_P Stevedphoto steveh32 Stolenfaces StuartHenderson Studio4 Surreyshooter sutekiphotography tarmoo tgphotography trevski wasper
forummoderator