Reminder Secure

Someone directing your shoot

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
29 February 2012 01:27
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

Is this any different from a movie scene? Where the Director will rehearse with the actors and then the First Assistant will actually shoot the scene.
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

Ross McKelvie is off-line
29 February 2012 03:20
Photoflash
Photographer

London
Maida Vale

If you are being very well paid for the shoot the art director should know exactly what the client wants, the photographer just records it and sets the lighting.
Although, I remember a shoot for a client I knew, the art director had strange ideas and I thought "they wont like this" and they did'nt, so it was a reshoot. I got paid twice.

Paul Riddell is off-line
29 February 2012 11:39
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Nothing wrong with working with an art director as long as they know what they want.

I've shot many shoots like this in the past.

Sometimes its really good if you work with someone good, because you can really bounce ideas off each other.

But working with an inexperienced person is a disaster. I usually be a bit forceful and steer them in the right direction. Afterwards I almost always get an apology and plenty of praise when they see how much better my directions went in.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Profile Pictures is off-lineSilver Member
29 February 2012 11:54
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

It's not likely to come up on a shoot I'm involved in, but it might be good news. Quality creative input can shift boundaries and step up your game. I guess you'd either be paid and just get on with it, or suss out the persons work first if you were collaborating?

Jesfish is off-lineSilver Member
29 February 2012 12:44
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

I suppose it depends what the shoot is and who it's for.  I've worked on many shoots whereby the company pays an art director, photographer, stylist, MUA, models etc.  It's never a problem unless people within the group have big egos and can't work in a team.

03 March 2012 04:55
andybramahphotograph
Photographer

I work with art directors frequently. As long as they take responsibility for the photography fitting the brief there is never a problem.
My idea of what is right and what the client wants can be quite different. Handled professionally an art director can take the pressure away from me and let me do my jobb.
Regards-andy bramah.
www.photographerpreston.com
i love faces and images that make me want to see more.

Scott Morgan is off-lineGold Member
03 March 2012 05:54
Scottmorgan
Photographer
Scottmorgan
Somerset
Bristol

Part of my photography is styling the shoot so would never work with a stylist and if I did and they tried to take over they would get a very polite 'Scottmorgan is a naughty person off'
Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

175 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Angel_21 Angel8 annabella annakalek arubajasmine Beccax Bigp Carolineuk Charlotte90 charlottepoole chosin clint1983 cody dede demi_e21 donna73 Filove Gemh GeorgieS22 georginamodel85 hannahhotchkiss Harvey31 Helena74 jennykiss69 joelhicks jojobear Jude kacie Kasia kelsey19 Kimmy99 kittypie Klouise1992 krissigalores ladyartist mariwka Marta24 michellehush missrachel nikkilea paige17 roxymendez shadowsfire Tiffanynaylor Tiinak vellocet
2webmedia adamspirit Aidendale alasdairew Andy_B anotherphotographer anthonyh Antony13 ArranC Arron atvlondon bbphotos Beaumonty Beemer2009 Belemboo bizz blades brianselway Bucklers callear captain Chris_Mansfield chris1000 clivelawrence ColinJackson Crippen davelefant denyerec Denysddf digitalsugar diphoto djb1 djwilby Doctor Dstafford Eebijeebi eosfan epsmith Firebaby flawless_photo furian G3cKoD3siGnS Gaudinio gedimage gordon grahamh grahamr grisey gsphoto Hardwick HowardJ IainT imageatthemill Imageimpact ionosphere ironblokeman JamieCraigPhoto jimpow johnb63 jonnar42 keithpics kevinuk kjoleweb Kjoservices Ladiesman LukeSeagrave Magpie1 markbutler Markeewould michael_cameraman Michaelangelo Mike103 Mikex79 mitch69 moritz78 mr_fold_sir_08 Neill5409 orsoncarter Otteypm parafotos paulbatterbury peterwilshaw Phil_J photofrank photosareu photoshooter pirateflashman quentinferier rankin22 RazorSharpImages ritamaccall Rob77 Robbo61 rod_m99 rodandthefaces rogerholt rossvincent rscott360 sandycamel shackledmaidens Shawry sinthetic_image skinz skphoto skymouse skystudio smooth_image southernsnapper Spike Steve57 stevegosh steveh32 stiffoak571 StNeots stolenfaces strongnick tabloid1 talldave68 tc66 teddybear TheStudioMK vincenthanna westcott woody yekim Yellow_peril
barlowstudios discretion prpstudios
chosin