This thread is being watched by 1 person
Cath Faza is off-lineSilver Member
17 April 2012 05:07
cathfazaxxx
Model
cathfazaxxx
Bristol
Bristol

Okay so when I finally move to the South East, I'll hopefully be able to shoot in my own place.

Wondering where you photographers and models most enjoy shooting?

Do photographers like using studios or location...

Or models do you prefer to shoot at your place to cut out travel expenses ect...

What sort of furniture is good to shoot on at your own place? A bed and sofa with nice covers?

I need advice people
*dont let go of something you cant go a day without thinking of* <3

Paul Hodson is off-line
17 April 2012 05:09
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from cathfazaxxx
Okay so when I finally move to the South East, I'll hopefully be able to shoot in my own place. Wondering where you photographers and models most enjoy shooting? Do photographers like using studios or location... Or models do you prefer to shoot at your place to cut out travel expenses ect... What sort of furniture is good to shoot on at your own place? A bed and sofa with nice covers? I need advice people

I don't like studios - but interesting locations are not always easy to find. They are however significantly cheaper! Outdoors of course the weather can be a problem

I guess a model who lived in a stately home and......
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Spike is off-line
17 April 2012 05:16
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

I normally shoot in either my own studio or locations known to me(often local) where I know what to expect, lighting required etc. Planning a shoot is far easier knowing the location.
Plus in the case of location shooting should the weather turn for the worse it's easier to have a back up plan.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

Grime & Glamour Photography is off-lineSilver Member
17 April 2012 05:19
GrimeAndGlamour
Photographer
GrimeAndGlamour
Tyne and Wear
newcastle upon tyne

1.Outside
2.Cool location(bar,tattoo studio, etc)
3.Models place,or other house/flat (if suitable)
4.My flat
5.Studio
"I wont give in until I have complained about everything"

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
17 April 2012 05:50
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

Without an shadow of a doubt, outdoor location. But to me, it's got to have scenic value, so I look for a landscape I want to put a model into. Or a blaze of colour, such as a poppy field or bluebells. I avoid making arrangements in advance, I've learnty it's extremely risky to do that, the weather is always unpredictable. I'll ring a model on the spur of the moment, on the day, - if she's otherwise engaged I lose out, but at least it saves a shoot being called off or being rained out. I shoot in a studio if the weather's unsettled, but I find the generic white background so boring, and a lot of trouble to clean up in post-production. Of course you don't have weather problems!

17 April 2012 06:02
granite_and_grace
Photographer

Outdoor location wins all the time.
It is far better if you have checked out the location beforehand; some look their best on certain times of the day or weather conditions. Also some sheltered locations may be ideal if the weather is a bit iffy.

Unfortunately the south east is fast disappearing under concrete, there are still a few great locations around, but you will need to hunt them out.

17 April 2012 06:10
barone
Photographer

I'm guessing by "location" you mean your house/flat?...If that's the case, you're not going to please everyone...Keep the decor clean & simple, if possible have a plain wall, which can be used as a studio type backdrop.

Look at the windows you have, try & keep them clear, they could be a good source of natural light.

A bed/sofa are always a good fall back, again, clean & simple colours to start with, as time goes on you could possibly add to you linen range (duvet covers of superheros or disney characters, "always" go down well )

Search the local areas to you, for places of interest, noting the quiet times.

Take some pictures of both your interior & external locations, so that you can show interested photographers what's on offer.

One last VERY important thing...keep the place clean & tidy...all your day-to-day crap should not be on display!!!

Next Model Day...23rd March 2014...http://purpleport.com/portfolio/angie...Interested?...Ask me for details.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
17 April 2012 06:54
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Indoor location for me, the bigger the better - Barone's words are well worth noting (clean, simple and tidy)
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Danimarie is off-line
17 April 2012 07:08
DaniMarie
Model
DaniMarie
Staffordshire
cannock

I like to vary things...that way you don't get too bored and your portfolio doesn't look the same. When using a home location you want to go for natural light, its great and certainly fab for lifestyle, portrait and lingerie shots. Maybe use your sofa and bed, perhaps even a table and chair. You can always buy cheap sheets in different colours, couple of cheap bright candles and vases to change the look every so often...

Mike Riot is off-line
17 April 2012 07:19
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Personally, I like to shoot at a models place.
The big advantage for me is that every home is different and it means that all my shots in my portfolio look different (Unless I shoot with the model a couple of times).

I don't really like studio work, I find it too restrictive. I think its great for Art nude work but not great for glamour, espcially if you use a studio local to you. It just ends up the same thing over and over and over. Besides, A white background is a white background.

So, my order of things:

1) Models Home
2) Awesome indoor location (Bar, tattoo studio etc)
3) Awesome outside location (Something round near me lacks)
4) Studio
"Mike - The riot even the Kaiser Chiefs didnt predict" - clearview_photography

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Beckyh1871 Belane hussy247 NikkiLee ryan_jm
doovid fuff66uk Glam2k gwentman ionosphere jhphoto kemphotograph Kjoservices luchik Madforce66 rscott360 silverstar tony_hetherington urbanomoda yellow_peril