Reminder Secure

Street Photography

Stefan Schiefer is off-line
01 April 2013 09:53
stefanschiefer
Photographer

South Yorkshire

I know this might be a little off topic but I have recently started to get into Street Photography (http://500px.com/stefanschiefer) and was just seeking advice from others

At the moment I'm finding it very hard to take photos of random people. How do you pluck up the courage to do it?

I was in London over the weekend and was told to p*ss off etc more times than enough haha.

Does anyone have any advice or interesting stories?

Cheers

Stefan

Sacredo is off-line
01 April 2013 11:00
Sacredo
Photographer
Sacredo
Surrey

I'm not doing street photography per se, but I am working a lot outdoors in London at the moment.
The security guards make me grin ... I see them coming ... know exactly how the conversation will go, and like seeing their reaction when I explain the way things are
Most of them are actually very polite and friendly, and I often end up chatting and telling them what I'm doing - but only after they acknowledge that it's none of their business.

I think 'Sacredo is a naughty person ing people off' might not lead to the best photos, but who knows? A project on confrontation perhaps? ;-)

Be quick, discreet, move ...the good old hyperfocal technique... Look at the work of HCB and weep ... I was in Stockholm last week - there's a big exhibition of his work (I'd go and see that if it's touring) - He had a beautiful, deft touch - very remarkable work.
Photographer

J K is off-line
01 April 2013 12:29
BenwellHopper
Photographer
BenwellHopper
Tyne and Wear
newcastle upon tyne

Look like you belong on the street and dont try to take sneaky shots...Its a knack and takes practice not for the timid....

Anthonygh is off-line
01 April 2013 15:00
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

The general rule seems to be to 'look' past the person at something happening behind / beside them......both before and after the photo. And be quick...you should have the shot framed in your head before pointing the camera.

In some situations it might be quite 'busy' so anything goes. Or try smiling and then take a photo.

Personally...I don't think street photography is for shy photographers.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 April 2013 15:04
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from anthonyh
The general rule seems to be to 'look' past the person at something happening behind / beside them......both before and after the photo. And be quick...you should have the shot framed in your head before pointing the camera.

That's pretty much how Joel Meyerowitz shoots.  There was a six part BBC documentary called The History of Photography (or something like that, it's available on DVD) and you see him putting his technique to good use in part of it.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

02 April 2013 02:10
Celt
Photographer

Have a look at the work of Jay Maisel. There are some videos about of him at work.It does require a certain frame of mind. Also, the RPS has a great little credit card sized legal advice card which is worth carrying. The most difficult part is establishing which parts of our high streets are actually private property - and security does have a right to move you on.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
02 April 2013 03:41
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Have a look here... valuable resource. http://www.flickr.com/groups/100strangers/

Me- 35mm prime lens, get close, shoot quickly, smile and say thankyou.

Not carrying lots of extra crap helps. No bag, no zoom lens.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Fluffypup is off-line
02 April 2013 04:13
Fluffypup
Photographer

Nottinghamshire

Zone focus if you can with a wide angle and get in close - people are less intimidated if you are closer to them rather than at a distance taking 'sneaky' shots - plus your photos will be far better. Fumble with your camera as well - Winogrand uses this technique and it does work.

Razoir is off-line
02 April 2013 05:07
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Wide enough lens and you can stand beside your subject and they think you are photographing behind them.
Carry two cameras. A huge big one on a neck strap and a little one that you take the photographs with tucked in your hand. Once upon a time you could convince people it was your light meter. No one knows what one those is these days!
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

02 April 2013 06:25
shapeman
Photographer

I mainly shoot Street Photography I tend to do grab shots, I use a 5D mk2 with various Lenses however normally a 50mm, always carry a Business card this has help me several times.

You do have to be a bit cheeky, quick, and have an idea what you want few is more.

Paul
If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. John Lennon

1 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Antz