Neil Anderson is off-line
01 June 2013 11:29
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from PaulManuell

100% spot on. Everyone carries out some form of 'improvement' on themselves, be it merely shaving (as in my case), or, at the other end of the scale, tattooing and piercing. It's just a matter of degree. For those who don't like tattoos on models, it's as simple as has already been mentioned on here - don't photograph them. At the same time, though, respect those models' right to choose to be tattooed, not be derogatory to them. Personally, I quite like tattoos on models and have incorporated them into some of the photos of models I've worked with who have them.

Whilst people may or may not like tattoos as a generality or specific tattoos, that does not effect the fact that anything but the most trivial tattoos will restrict the flexibilty of a model to pose for some work. Like an actress the best models will be suitable for a wide range of work, not just being themselves, but being able portray a range of personas and show various costumes.
On a modelling site, I would have expected this aspect of tattoos to have been raised sooner, the 'debate' so far seems to just represent various evangelists of tattoos posting against people who hate them.
Just to be clear (because I know that both 'sides' of this thread won't actually read what is written before assuming I am posting something which contradicts their human rights) if a photographer wants to shoot (for one example) a 20's style lingerie shot most models with modern tattoos just aren't suitable. If you want to shoot thigh length socks, a tattoo that stretches from knee to waist is likely to be a hindrance etc. etc.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
01 June 2013 11:35
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

From a business point of view tattoos/ink/body art is not good news, the majority of the "fans", ie. the people who pay to subscribe to membership paysites or trawl the internet looking for free images, still do not like tattoos, although so many models have them, its something most people learn to accept.

Personally I'm going through a phase of liking nice ink at the moment and I'm actively seeking out models with body art. Although I would say from a work point of view a pretty girl who gets tattoos is making it even harder for herself, she may get work in spite of them, but in most cases she wont get work because of them.

I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

RubyRosetta is off-line
01 June 2013 12:58
RubyRosetta
Model
RubyRosetta
Derbyshire

This debate kind of reminds me of a story my boyfriend told me about learning to drive when he was a seventeen year old goth. A really fully on goth that is, with RubyRosetta is a naughty person loads of piercings, long black trench coat, black lipstick, hair like Cruella Deville etc. Now my bf is a really natural driver, and picked it up very quickly... but his first driving instructor thought, in his infinite wisdom, that it would be appropriate to tell my bf that if he continued to dress in that way he 'couldn't be a good driver'. Needless to say, bf stopped giving this moron his hard earned cash, and continued his lessons with someone who helped him pass first time. Personally, I thought his first instructor's comments were as ludicrous as telling an overweight person to loose weight in order to be a good driver.... or telling a model that she can't be any good if she has tattoos.

A beautiful model with beautiful ink, who is successful enough to appear in the various mags and websites that cater for this, is really not going to care if some photographers don't like their tattoos. They will just work with the people who like them instead. Of course it will be a limitation in some respects, but only one of numerous other limitations in an industry that revolves around looks.

01 June 2013 13:20
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from stolenfaces

if a photographer wants to shoot (for one example) a 20's style lingerie shot most models with modern tattoos just aren't suitable. If you want to shoot thigh length socks, a tattoo that stretches from knee to waist is likely to be a hindrance etc. etc.

I don't like garlic, therefore I don't buy garlic bread. By the same token, any photographer wanting to shoot in the style in your example, and for whom tattoos wouldn't suit that particular shoot, could surely just book a tattooless model.

Peter Hague is off-line
01 June 2013 13:25
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from RubyRosetta

A beautiful model with beautiful ink, who is successful enough to appear in the various mags and websites that cater for this, is really not going to care if some photographers don't like their tattoos.

Unfortunately, my experience is many of them whine like hell that they get excluded from some work. Every single time I advertise for models without tattoos, i'll get applications from those with them, who then go on to tell me how unfair it is that I won't consider them.

By all means tattoo yourself to your hearts content, just STFU moaning when you discover they exclude you from some opportunities.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

zoepinknose  is off-lineSilver Member
01 June 2013 15:49
zoepinknose
Model
zoepinknose
Spain
albox Almeria

Quote from tpryse
OK rant time

Ink..honestly ..why?

Tattoos...what a load of meaningless zoepinknose is a naughty person e.

Love beautiful natural women, why on earth does anybody think second rate art work improves whats allready there!!!

when models say..."got some great new Ink" what it actually means is just paid someone to deface me!!!! aghhhhhhhh

Oh dear ... What a plank
Never a dull moment

01 June 2013 15:59
dominicdean
Photographer

Quote from tpryse
OK rant time Ink..honestly ..why? Tattoos...what a load of meaningless dominicdean is a naughty person e. Love beautiful natural women, why on earth does anybody think second rate art work improves whats allready there!!! when models say..."got some great new Ink" what it actually means is just paid someone to deface me!!!! aghhhhhhhh

Dont like it, dont look, dont book, simples

www.dominicdeanphotography.co.uk/

Brian Buckland is off-lineSilver Member
01 June 2013 16:28
para
Photographer
para
Norfolk
Diss

Quote from zoepinknose
 ... What a plank

Haven't heard that saying for years.When I was a boy,living in London we use to say "fick (thick) as two short planks"

As a teenager in the 60s not many boys had tatoos and virtually unknown for girls to have them but then,that was the last century

01 June 2013 21:42
laylarc
Model

I'm sure the beautiful, nubile young tattooed ladies will be crying themselves to sleep over this thread.

As I'm sure when we're all 50, we'll have much more interesting things to worry about.

You don't like tattooed girls? That really is tough laylarc is a naughty person mate. Whether its a stupid fashion statement or something meaningful & personal, you're well out of the equation.
Sorry!

1 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Antz