Reminder Secure

Hasselblads...anyone use them?

Anthonygh is off-line
22 May 2013 14:25
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I am thinking of going back to a 6 X 6 film format and have been watching a few cameras on eBay.

Part of me thinks it is time for a Blad.....but another part of me thinks the Bronica SQi makes more sense. Obviously they are a lot cheaper and having used an ETRSi (my current MF camera) I know the build quality etc etc and I am still amazed when I see A2 prints from the negs I scan.

I also lust after the Mamiya RF just to complicate things.  But back to Hasselblads.....anyone use them?...and are they 'that' good ref the expense of ownership? And status of course...surprise

Henry is off-lineSilver Member
22 May 2013 15:27
Henry_Artist
Photographer
Henry_Artist
Lancashire
Blackpool

Yes, I've used Hasselblad 500 series MF cameras. Would I own one? No. For what they are they are fantasically overpriced. It's like owning a thoroughbred racehorse or an Aston Martin - great at what they do so long as you look after them very carefully but horrendously expensive if something goes wrong. The accessories tend to be priced on the high side of extortionate too. I much prefer using an Arax CM/MLU.
I may as well do it. I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Laurence Power is off-line
22 May 2013 16:36
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Yes, and I completely disagree with the above, built like tanks, very reliable. Yes expensive to repair, but they used to last a lifetime.
Laurence J. Power

Anthonygh is off-line
22 May 2013 17:16
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Never heard of that company but have found it via Google.

As it happens, I have a Pentacon 6 stored away somewhere.....sort of basic but useable. Until the lens stopped working!

...still thinking the Bronica is the sound choice.....

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
22 May 2013 17:36
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

When employed as an industrial photographer, I used a Hasselblad on and off every day for 20+ years and never had any reliability issues. They do, like everything mechanical wear and need servicing. The magazines seemed to require most attention. It is subjective, of course, but the Zeiss lenses do have a certain 'something' whereby the images just seem more 'real' difficult to describe but you know it when you see it.
Pricing is on the rather high side and as a previous replier points out the little bits are very expensive but some used stuff is around, sadly quite a lot of crap mixed in as many 'pros' dumped hammered gear onto the market when switching to digital. a lot of the good stuff can still be found in excellent condition but takes a bit of searching.
Also other stuff (makes) are pretty good and when put through scanning I think a lot of the differences go.
Its very much my PERSONAL view but I'm not a fan of 'hybrids' I think if you shoot on film the best output is analogue, through an enlarger for the final result.

jivago Photographic is off-line
22 May 2013 18:06
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from LaurenceJPower
Yes, and I completely disagree with the above, built like tanks, very reliable. Yes expensive to repair, but they used to last a lifetime.

Totally! - "Built like tanks" is corect - And with superb optics. Highly reliable. No silly geeky 'GWC' gizmos - With Leica the best. They are not expensive repair:- Phone up Hasselblad Uk and ask for the associated 500 series repair company.

http://www.jivagophoto.com/

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
22 May 2013 19:30
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Unless you really want to shoot square, go 6x7.

If you crop to oblong at all, you may as well own a 645. And 645s are blown away by most modern digitals.

I used to own a 503CW. Lovely camera, but I preferred my RZ67II.

Jimbo is off-line
23 May 2013 01:20
jimbojetset
Photographer
jimbojetset
London
Uxbridge

Im selling my 501c with 80mm planar and mnt condition for £900.

Daz Smith is off-line
23 May 2013 02:37
Daz_S
Photographer
Daz_S
Norfolk
Nr Kings Lynn

I was an RAF photographer for 9 years. Before we went digital, our workhorse camera was a Hasselblad. Built like tanks is phrase commonly used, but totally justified in this case! I dropped one out of a SeaKing from 150ft (not on purpose), I retrieved it and carried on using it!! The lenses are awesome and we used to print images upto 40"!! The ONLY bad point is cost (not a problem for me in the military!). There is a lot on second hand stuff out there, but Hasselblad holds it's value well, so even second hand isn't cheap! You can however be sure that your Hasselblad won't lose much value over the years. If you want a free one, there are 6 of them on the moon - free to those who can collect them!!

Anthonygh is off-line
23 May 2013 03:05
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

"If you crop to oblong at all, you may as well own a 645. And 645s are blown away by most modern digitals."

I am afraid I don't agree with that statement.......I use a 645 format camera and a 5D and when I compare large prints from both there is no doubt the Bronica print has a quality the digital can't match...and that quality comes from the aesthetic qualities of silver being the basic structure of the image.

However…..that is for B+W. I wouldn't consider colour film anymore as digital is both cheaper and easier to use and at a pinch I can use software to try and introduce some semblance of structure to the image for print purposes.

I have considered the larger formats such as the Mamiya 7 RF........but I don't think I will ever need larger negs than the 645 produces for print purposes...but I like the aesthetics of the square format, have worked with it in the past, and am tempted to go back to using it. I don't want a large bulky camera just to crop down to 6 X 6.

1 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Antz