Reminder Secure

Shooting In A Hotel Room

This thread is being watched by 2 people
08 November 2013 10:42
shapeman
Photographer

I normally shoot on Location or in a Studio, I have recently working in Hotel Rooms (1 Model mixed style of images up to Nude), my question is what would be your ideal Kit for this type of shoot taking into account the Room is of average space.

Lights or Flash
Fixed Lens or Zoom

etc.

I have played about using various Lenses and Lights but as yet I have never been 100% happy. 
If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. John Lennon

redgauntlet is off-lineSilver Member
08 November 2013 12:27
redgauntlet
Photographer
redgauntlet
Essex
Loughton

Have as part of shoot used a soft box(s)with Flash Zoom Lens have found best less fath about..
Its about what you want from the shoot
Decide on desired result and work backwards to achieve it.
Red G

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
08 November 2013 14:52
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

It depends slightly on the camera, full frame Vs crop sensor as to what lens you carry, personally the very thing that's hard on location i.e. taking loads of gear is slightly easier when the car is only parked 2 min away (normally). I've used 70-200mm in a Best Western with results that I liked, again depends on your goal if you are planning to bring much of the room into the composition you'll need wider! I'd stick to what you know you like and gives you good results.

With the available power in the room i'd take 2 small 400 watt studio lights, the SBs i'd normally carry on location with external power maybe 50% smaller than a small light but the studio light isn't overly big anyway! Bring a 4 Gang Extension Lead (5 Metre) it will power the lights, battery charger and the models phone that for some reason is always low on juice!

Dominic.

08 November 2013 16:05
shapeman
Photographer

Cheers I have myself a canon 5d mk2 24-105, 50mm and 70-200 2.8 I have in the past brought 2 modelling lamps and 4 off camera flashes (strobes)

If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. John Lennon

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
08 November 2013 16:35
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Are the hotels aware you are doing photography, using lights. They usually require PAT ( portable appliance test) certificates for everything you are using, including extension leads. They will also require you to have indemnity insurance.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
08 November 2013 17:00
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from magpie1
Are the hotels aware you are doing photography, using lights. They usually require PAT ( portable appliance test) certificates for everything you are using, including extension leads. They will also require you to have indemnity insurance.

I don't think that's strictly true, its not compulsory in law, how could they apply that to chargers, laptops, mobile phones, camera chargers, batteries, vibrators (plug in) that guest brings in, there's nothing specific to photography lights, They (the hotel) have a responsibility to their employees to make sure equipment is safe to use, The person testing doesn't even need to be qualified and a to quote the HSE website "a simple visual check is recommended to verify the item is not damaged" no certificate required!

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
08 November 2013 17:29
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Hotels and public places I work in do require such documentation. As well as a responsibility to their staff there is also a responsibility to their guests. The onus is to show that one has taken reasonable measures to ensure the equipment is safe, it could be a matter for a court to decide if the measures taken were adequate. If equipment caused damage, eg fire, then no documentation leaves one wide open to a claim, and if persons are injured, possible prosecution.

09 November 2013 05:53
DBIphotography_Toron
Photographer

You can likely manage with a 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom (I hear the Canon version works well), and a couple of speedlights. Watch shadows :/ I shoot FF Nikons, and I usually use just my 24-70mm lens & a few speedlights. I set 2 off-camera bouncing off of the ceiling, but I try to get them pretty high & mind where I'm placing them. So I don't have any shadow-disasters. I trigger them with the one on-camera, which I either have inside a diffuser or I just set it to emit no flash and act only as a trigger. It still emits a tiny bit of light, but not enough to change anything. At-worst, I can spin my light around so it shoots behind me

I don't shoot in them often. I only shoot in studio's a few times each year (and that's averaging every year I've been shooting!). I shoot mostly with either no-light added at concerts, or with filler-light at events, for retail and model-work, etcetera. Below is a converted proof from the most recent image I created in hotel-settings, for an online-magazine being published next month:

“The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.” ~Oscar Wilde

raw and the cooked is off-line
09 November 2013 10:11
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

I have done this with speed lights, but also my Eli ranger quadra is ideal! Small heads useful in small spaces, plenty enough power!Clear the room of everything identifiable of hotel, and remove any mirrors, or framed pictures that might give you a nasty reflection. Also shove a towel at the bottom of the door to stop flash leaking out. The pat testing thing is rubbish, and frankly, book the room, pay your bill, and don't tell them anything about shooting, unless you are a glutton for punishment!

Lens wise, you might need something fairly wide, whatever format your shooting…..

09 November 2013 16:47
shapeman
Photographer

Thanks everyone that has posted all interesting and good advise. Will keep reading your advise

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Brightonblonde mandymack Sammy_Louise stevepm
azurphotos bbphotos daseinphoto dave@studio99 dorrian ev0 fetishphotoman firstforimages funky JohnWindsor moritz78 panda49 redbaron sigmasd14 Smoking_Allowed UKPHOTO
Lensmaster