This thread is being watched by 1 person
Barney Douglas is off-line
24 November 2013 04:32
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
West Sussex
Worthing

http://www.slrlounge.com/photographer-wins-1-2-million-lawsuit-agence-france-presse-getty-images
"Simplicity in Photography for over 25 Years"

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
24 November 2013 05:32
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

GREAT! I experienced a blatant copyright theft when one of those dating agency ads you see on Facebook and elsewhere, appeared with the photo of a model I'd taken on a private paid shoot that I'd posted on one of my model sites. The ad said something along the lines of "meet attractive women in your area", and there was the photo. I immediately contacted the website, claimed ownership and copyright of the image, accused them of copyright theft, demanded a lump sum payment and threatened legal action if they didn't pay, or remove the image forthwith. It was gone in a couple of hours, (they never replied though). This link is well worth keeping as it sends out a clear warning to anyone who 'nicks your pics'!

Rob Keynsham is off-line
25 November 2013 11:21
basil
Photographer
basil
Avon
Bristol

Quoting from the article - During the trial, the lawyer for Getty, said Morel was asking the jury “to make him the best paid news photographer on the planet.”

Lawyer speak for we'd like all our images for free but if the photographer notices and complains then we'll pay him the standard rates.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 November 2013 13:43
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The irony of all this is that if anyone takes an image from the likes of Getty (even non-profit) they will come down like a ton of bricks and go for the jugular with their lawyers so it's nice to see the tables turned on them for once.

There was a case of a small church group using a small sample image from a stock library to promote a 'save our spire' campaign or something along those lines IIRC. At the very best probably a few hundred local people may have clapped eyes on the site. The stock library involved sent their lawyers in and subsequently sued them for ~£6000 IIRC. Yes, they'd done wrong but it the library's response seemed overly harsh IMO.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Hodson is off-line
25 November 2013 14:04
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from RedChecker
The irony of all this is that if anyone takes an image from the likes of Getty (even non-profit) they will come down like a ton of bricks and go for the jugular with their lawyers so it's nice to see the tables turned on them for once.

There was a case of a small church group using a small sample image from a stock library to promote a 'save our spire' campaign or something along those lines IIRC. At the very best probably a few hundred local people may have clapped eyes on the site. The stock library involved sent their lawyers in and subsequently sued them for ~£6000 IIRC. Yes, they'd done wrong but it the library's response seemed overly harsh IMO.

+ lots and lots!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
mandymack Sammy_Louise stevepm
azurphotos daseinphoto dave@studio99 dorrian ev0 fetishphotoman firstforimages funky JohnWindsor Jpdo nuclear314 panda49 PhilWinterbourne redbaron sigmasd14 UKPHOTO