Reply's to mail.

Attic Studios is off-line
10 May 2014 10:35
PHIL
Photographer
PHIL
North Yorkshire
Harrogate

I think we have all experienced the "no reply" to a mail offering paid work to a model. This might also apply to the lack of responses from photographers as well.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to be able to place feed back on accounts concerning this issue. I know there is a percentage guide to mail responses but this way it would be more specific to the individual and for all to see.
It doesn't have to be more than a couple of answers, ie. Quick reply...Replied late or No reply.
At least then we would know what to expect and it may, just may, encourage a quick response from the individual instead of the photographer/model waiting ages for a reply.

Jesfish is off-line
10 May 2014 14:56
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

That's ridiculous!  No one is obliged to reply to mails, although I always do, I don't think it's fair to judge someone because they reply late!  Some people are really busy and might read their mails with intent to reply when they have time.  It does not mean they're unprofessional, merely priorotizing.

marlham is off-line
10 May 2014 16:00
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

I have unopened mail going back ages on some sites. I figure that if I don't get round to opening it within a reasonable period of time then its relevance will have passed and it might as well remain unopened. However I can't remember any model not responding to a message I've sent them. They're all angels compared to me!

HowardJ is off-line
11 May 2014 05:16
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

How about a public flogging instead?

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
11 May 2014 05:33
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from HowardJ
How about a public flogging instead?

No! No! No!
Burn the witch!!!

Any model who does not respond to a photographer's offer of payment must surely be a witch .....

..... unless, of course, she is simply just not interested in working with that particular photographer.
Bob

HowardJ is off-line
11 May 2014 07:29
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

or as Jes said the model read it, the world interrupted and she just forgot to reply. It happens... (it's almost like models as real people with other stuff going on in their lives and they're not sitting there 24 hrs a day seven days a week waiting for random emails to arrive. Weird or what!!)

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
11 May 2014 11:05
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

I'm going to leap to your defence Phil and say, brilliant idea, (although by no means an original one). Fought against by the majority of course, who will always spout the right not to reply, how people are prioritising, too busy etc. Come on Jes, say what you mean, - YOU always reply, - WHY? Because being the ultimate professional you are, you would think it unprofessional not to, poor manners or rude, - otherwise why do YOU make the effort? However I'd more like to see old unvisited profiles cleared out, that would be better in my book - other sites do it, it's even more important with a modelling site such as this. I've just been chucked off Channel 4 i-player because I hadn't logged in recently, (of course I did receive a number of warnings requesting me to do so and warning me of the consequences if I didn't).

Neil Anderson is off-line
11 May 2014 11:25
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Kiboko
I'm going to leap to your defence Phil and say, brilliant idea, (although by no means an original one). Fought against by the majority of course, who will always spout the right not to reply, how people are prioritising, too busy etc. Come on Jes, say what you mean, - YOU always reply, - WHY? Because being the ultimate professional you are, you would think it unprofessional not to, poor manners or rude, - otherwise why do YOU make the effort? However I'd more like to see old unvisited profiles cleared out, that would be better in my book - other sites do it, it's even more important with a modelling site such as this. I've just been chucked off Channel 4 i-player because I hadn't logged in recently, (of course I did receive a number of warnings requesting me to do so and warning me of the consequences if I didn't).

So how rude does the original message have to be before you think it is 'professional' to ignore it? Should it be necessary to write back to some chancer who offers TF work to someone whose profile says paid only, is it not normal to ignore someone who can't be bothered to read (or believe) your profile info ?
If models receive messages offering inappropriate work it is entirely expected that they will ignore them (or in more extreme cases report them). Without analyzing the content of messages any statistics/indicator would be meaningless. And anyway not all messages can be replied to... someone has to send the last message... 'no you hang-up first'.
There are plenty of indicators about how active a model (or photographer) is at a particular time:
Are they a paid member?
When did they last update?
When did they last login?
When did someone last leave a reference ?
When did someone else post/tag a photo of them,
and of course for higher member %message replies.
You can also read their profile.
If all this doesn't give you enough info, some silly message response ratio won't tell you any more. So not really a 'brilliant idea' at all!

If you are offering specific work it is sensible to indicate in the message that you are interested in blah, blah, blah and hope to hear from them, but if they do not reply by x/x/x you may have decided to spend your money (or time) on an alternative shoot.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

marlham is off-line
12 May 2014 08:52
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

I put up a casting last night and the final sentence reads "Please note I'm unlikely to respond unless you include all the requested information in your message."

Not a single applicant so far has heeded that request so my message response rate stats must be rock bottom at the moment. Point being that people might have a valid reason for not responding - you just don't know what that reason is!

Suzy Monty is off-lineSilver Member
12 May 2014 11:26
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Whilst as a professional model, I think it is polite to acknowledge all messages, so always reply to photographers ( or models requesting help from time to time)...

I did have a perfectly serious message the other day from a model saying she would like to model for me...The model was based in London and obviously hadn't read my profile properly and was sending out brief, but to the point Bulk Messages to everyone...even me, a model based in Outer Mongolia...i.e. Cornwall

Maybe there should be the facility for a ' No thank you' automatic return message.

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
jessicaliu1993
carshaltonkev Phiesta1