Ability to replace images

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
28 October 2014 04:03
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

We now have the facility to upload much larger versions of images than 895x760 which was the site's original size restriction but for many of us the thought of removing & re-uploading images along with relevant text & model links etc. seems somewhat daunting and we'd lose our image comments.  I'd personally love to upgrade all of mine but it would be too much work filling in the details (and would be sad to lose the comments on a couple of them).

Would it not be possible to simply replace images?  (another site has this and is very handy)

Sure, you'll get people subtituting completely different images but surely you can get around that by having a reduced-size version of the originally uploaded image available via some hyperlink and highlighting that it has changed?  I think most people however would be honest enough to use the feature properly.

If this is done, I feel in the intetrests of fairness these new uploads should also be excempt from the new image feed.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

G Jack B is off-line
28 October 2014 06:31
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

A good question but can I ask why you want to upload high res pics as I doubt you want people printing off copies of your work? (or am I missing something?)
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

28 October 2014 06:37
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

By 'high res' I'm thinking along the lines of (say) ~800x1200 pixels (assuming portrait orientation) which this site now allows following a change around 18 months ago IIRC, not a huge size increase but better fills modern screens and allows for better scrutiny of image quality. My main image is (I think) an 800x1200 one (uploaded as a test) but the rest of them adhere to the 895x760 constraint the site used to have.*

Whilst I understand some people would be concerned about uploading larger images for various reasons, it doesn't bother me in the slightest and nobody is forcing people to do this, but it would still be nice to have the option.

* EDIT  - my main image is actually 900x1350
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Paul Hodson is off-line
28 October 2014 07:54
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from RedChecker

* EDIT  - my main image is actually 900x1350

And too big for my 24 inch screen

Really think portrait format need to be smaller for the majority of screens.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

28 October 2014 07:57
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Don't care, I'm happy to scroll to see big images (and you can always use CTRL & +/-). Besides, I have 30" monitors at work and with the advent of 4K/5K screens on the market it'll be nicer to show images that impress.

marlham is off-line
28 October 2014 08:17
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Whilst I probably wouldn't upload images that are any larger than those already on my portfolio I do occasionally re-edit images. Sometimes for trivial reasons (eg cloning out minor distractions) and other times for more pronounced reasons (eg applying a different colour treatment or applying a re-branded logo). Sometimes it would be useful to replace an existing image rather than delete it and upload a fresh one.

I think it would be a useful feature if it could be implemented easily.

G Jack B is off-line
28 October 2014 08:18
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Ok... see where your coming from, and as you say it would be optional... so sounds good to me.
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Paul Hodson is off-line
28 October 2014 08:49
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from RedChecker
............. (and you can always use CTRL & +/-). Besides, I have 30" monitors at work and with the advent of 4K/5K screens on the market it'll be nicer to show images that impress.

No I can't - as I have it set to change text only as it mph is a naughty person s up most web sites otherwise!  And the number you will impress with the screens you suggest will be minimal!
But - your choice.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

28 October 2014 09:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

You may also want to do a collage (saw a superb one on the other site ages ago that was something silly like 4000 pixels high but scrolling through it revealed a story of sorts).

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment
FirstLifePhotography garydfreeman lysander MartinB