Reminder Secure

You spend 30 mins carefully writing a PM, click on SEND...

Stan Taylor is off-line
21 June 2015 17:32
photoprogo
Photographer
photoprogo
Norfolk
Norwich

If there really is no technical solution to the problem of Purestorm just dumping your message when you click on send if your login has timed out, surely the least they can do is to post a warning to that effect above the message box. I bet every single one of us on this site found out that hard way that the detailed message you've just spent 40 minutes preparing will just vanish into a puff of smoke when you click on SEND.

So why not simply place a warning about this 'feature' above the message box, advising that you make a copy of the message yourself, or prepare it first in a word processor?

Moderator Advisory
Purestorm does NOT 'dump' your message if your internet connection resets - your browser does.
For most internet browsers simply using the Back arrow will return your message
but first you may need to open a new Tab and sign into the website again.

Stan Taylor Photoprogo

Chrissie Red is off-line
21 June 2015 17:40
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I have to admit I don't think its happened to me on pure storm..

Well I lie, my electricity went out once and I didn't notice that the internet had gone off.

I rarely spend 40 minutes on one message lol

G Jack B is off-line
22 June 2015 10:59
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Never lost a PM but I regularly mess up when posting on Forums - I click the POST REPLY button instead of the QUICK REPLY and lose it, but can normally get it back using the browser back button.
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
22 June 2015 19:26
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from HowardJ

You need to understand the client-server nature of the web. When you type a message its all held on your web browser (the client), so the server knows nothing about the content of the message you're typing until you hit the submit button when it sends what you've typed to the server to be stored as a PM. There are ways around this using AJAX techniques where the browser could periodically post the contents of your editor window to a scratch pad that forms part of your session. That scratchpad would consume memory on the server and additional programming would be needed to clear the scratch pad when you cancel your post. It would be possible but it adds complexity to the site to handle a relatively rare scenario, so probably not worth it in the long term.

I don't see any security concerns with it though.

Not a rare scenario, rather something that happens most times you write a non trivial mail, so i copy to memory before clicking send. Periodic saving would be very easy - as would be detecting keystrokes. Memory on the server, well is not exactly Facebook

HowardJ is off-line
23 June 2015 00:48
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from cziiki

Not a rare scenario, rather something that happens most times you write a non trivial mail, so i copy to memory before clicking send. Periodic saving would be very easy - as would be detecting keystrokes. Memory on the server, well is not exactly Facebook

I still doubt the benefits vs cost and complexity it adds.

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
23 June 2015 03:58
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from HowardJ

I still doubt the benefits vs cost and complexity it adds.

Cool, but do give your breakdown of why you say that - I don't know the PS code base but I don't know any common environment where there would be much cost and complexity. I guess PS is quite old.

HowardJ is off-line
23 June 2015 16:42
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from cziiki

Cool, but do give your breakdown of why you say that - I don't know the PS code base but I don't know any common environment where there would be much cost and complexity. I guess PS is quite old.

I think we'll leave that one to Matt. I suspect he has a long list of improvements people or the site owners have requested and there would be more value in focusing on those than this one plus I believe he has a day job that keeps him pretty busy.

I think PS works as per most other web applications and that should be something that users should be familiar with.

Don't get me wring I've sometimes lost PMs I've written when I've hit the submit button, but that's usually because I've lost connectivity. Now if I suspect I may lose my PM I do a select all and copy. However it is a fairly rare occurrence so I'm happy with the way PS works.

I've got a radical suggestion to solve the issue.

Spend less time writing your PMs. I really can't understand why it should take 30 minutes to compose a message.

Paul Hodson is off-line
24 June 2015 18:07
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from HowardJ

Spend less time writing your PMs. I really can't understand why it should take 30 minutes to compose a message.

Or if a long one then as was suggested - write it in a WP program and copy it to PS.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

David Hunt is off-line
03 February 2017 07:13
dhuntuk
Photographer

Surrey
Camberley

Quote from HowardJ

...I really can't understand why it should take 30 minutes to compose a message.

Wait until you have ADHD, and then you will understand.

The OP's dilemma has happened to me a few times on this site. But, I already know from experience to highlight and copy my text just incase the site times out.

Havoc is off-line
03 February 2017 11:23
Havocphotography
Photographer
Havocphotography
East Sussex
Brighton

Quote from dhuntuk

Wait until you have ADHD, and then you will understand.

The OP's dilemma has happened to me a few times on this site. But, I already know from experience to highlight and copy my text just incase the site times out.

If thats the case and there's a reason why it takes so long then that person, quite honestly, should be taking more precautions, like composing offline.

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa JoannaJoy SuzyMonty
antoinewynn bengie bninja brendan david1500 diphoto drew1299 GProductions gshocker30 ignite jayfish jefflewis john_at_tina_spice Ladiesman lester2705 liteangle muz natkins OTM_teresa peteb philippahh redbaron RupertRudd steveh32 swalsh58 Thunder_Photos Willjamieson Xcellent