Reminder Secure

E Cigarettes are safer than 'real' cigarettes .... (apparently) ...

Jonathan is off-line
19 August 2015 12:44
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

So, 'Public Health England' say they have the eveidence - E Cigarettes are 95 % safer than real cigarettes.

Since Disque Bleu were no longer made and Gitanes withdrawn from the Uk I now smoke them.

Do you agree with PHE ?

Do you care ?

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

Profile Pictures is off-line
19 August 2015 15:38
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I don't really understand what 95% safer means? Surely, they are either safe or not safe. If not safe, what's the identified risk? How long did these tests last, its certainly not years and years is it. Who funded the tests, who standardised and monitors the e cig contents?

Sounds irrelevant really, but everyone's going to miss the revenue from fags if they stop selling them. With a chancellor who's off his tits on coke allowing big business and his mates to avoid tax, we'll need some income.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 August 2015 02:02
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The bit that disgusts me is that they're calling for E-cigs to be on prescription, so basically the tax payer will be funding drug addiction. A bit sickening really, especially as they're meant to be cheaper and people could bloody well pay for them themselves.

In a perfect world I'd like the prescription ones to be loaded with trace elements of arsenic to accelerate their demise by a few years. Smokers are so stupid they'd still take them, and at the same time kill themselves off quicker and save the tax payer a few bob
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Rupert Rudd is online
20 August 2015 03:05
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

If ecigs get on prescription I want my claret and single malt whisky on similar terms. As a treatment for my addiction.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Tony Wright is off-lineSilver Member
21 August 2015 13:15
photogenia
Photographer

Lincolnshire
Spalding

This is one of the best references to this news:
http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Government-officials-urge-GPs-to-Prescribe-ecigs-on-the-NHS

As for 95% safer, that's a conservative estimate. The PHE report was based on a variety of evidence based, peer reviewed reports and is effectively a summary of the current state of (lots of) research and the market. The ingredients of so called 'eLiquid' are all pretty innocuous (vegetable glycerine, propylene glycol, nicotine base and flavouring) and any 'nasties' are at a substantially lower level than conventional cigarettes - so while vaping may not be completely harmless it is more about substantial harm reduction by comparison to cigarettes.

There is no 'second hand vape' to be concerned about. Nicotine per se is not considered to be any more harmful than caffeine. Most if not all negative propaganda can be traced back to Big Pharma and Big Tobacco who see their revenues declining as smokers switch to vaping (currently 2.6M in the UK). Roughly speaking, tobacco tax generates £12bn against the cost of treating smoking related ailments of about £3bn.

It is generally felt that emissions from vehicles represent a higher risk to human health than vapour from these devices. For a start, there are no particulates, unlike exhaust emissions or of course cigarettes.

Many 'vapers' also disagree with prescriptions funded by the NHS, since PVs (personal vapourisers) and eliquid are much cheaper than actual cigarettes. However, there may be a justification for help in low income households where 'tobacco money' is always found (smoking prevalence is also much higher in deprived areas), but precious little else and such a committed smoker with limited funds might have trouble making the switch to vaping Vs the 'safe' route of purchasing tobacco.

Whilst one or two of you may hate smoking and smokers, your arguments might be considered weaker if you are overweight, drink too much, or drive almost any sort of vehicle.

I imagine there will be one or two replies to this... :-)

Paul Hodson is off-line
22 August 2015 11:47
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from profilepictures
I don't really understand what 95% safer means? Surely, they are either safe or not safe.

For every 100 smokers real ciggies kill - they only kill 5?

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
22 August 2015 18:56
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Quote from RupertRudd
If ecigs get on prescription I want my claret and single malt whisky on similar terms. As a treatment for my addiction.

Sounds like a good idea.

24 August 2015 10:06
pmeu
Photographer

Quote from photogenia

I imagine there will be one or two replies to this... :-)

Plus the money not spent on treating smoking related diseases may now be free up to be spent other demands in the system. Seems like a good decision to me.

Profile Pictures is off-line
24 August 2015 10:39
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Other than that smokers produce between 7&9billion in taxation beyond their related health costs. I still think its odd how persecuted smokers are, whilst the drinkers cause bloody mayhem. Nobody ever had one too many B&H and started a fight.

24 August 2015 11:05
pmeu
Photographer

Quote from profilepictures
Other than that smokers produce between 7&9billion in taxation beyond their related health costs. I still think its odd how persecuted smokers are, whilst the drinkers cause bloody mayhem. Nobody ever had one too many B&H and started a fight.

Taking into account a wider perspective of costs the cost of smoking is still thought to exceed the tax revenues. Its not really possible to know how much of the 12 billion tax revenue goes towards the NHS as its all fungible.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Dadshouse12 missminiskirt PrettyDiamond RISelene rob452 Zhiying
beaverray biggles485 BOBREEVES djb1 fannmore frankpht geoffmarchant James7799 Jse_photography mrdl muz Nwphotosinc1 paulj1980 photage_images photostudiokk Platidonio quercus RupertRudd siclews