Reminder Secure

E Cigarettes are safer than 'real' cigarettes .... (apparently) ...

Profile Pictures is off-lineSilver Member
24 August 2015 14:06
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Three quick Google results suggested the income exceeds the cost. Hence my point.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
24 August 2015 15:55
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I have a feeling this is the big tobacco companies realising their income is on the cusp of disappearing so they are now pouring all that formidable lobbying and advertising power into pushing E-cigarettes instead.

I have no great problem with how others enjoy their lives as long as they dont expect me to pay for it or suffer as a consequence. If people can afford the cost of a packet of fags then as far as I am concerned they can afford to fund these glorified bubba bubba pipes. Please don't expect me to fall for all the tosh about using them to give up smoking though. It is quite apparent from the way they are used and advertised that they are simply intended as a new cool replacement not a cure.

That may not be an entirely bad thing of course. I watched a person die from lung cancer. Ironically after finally giving up smoking. Try to imagine being waterboarded for the last week or so of your life, that about describes what the end is like. If they save a few people from that it is some form of progress I guess.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Tony Wright is off-lineSilver Member
25 August 2015 03:58
photogenia
Photographer

Lincolnshire
Spalding

Big Tobacco was very late to the party, and the vast majority of suppliers are completely independent of BT and BP (big Pharma). BT has been buying up small 'cigalike' companies in an effort to jump on the bandwagon. However, none of the 2nd and 3rd generation devices are produced by BT or BP - and those are by far the most effective in keeping smokers off cigarettes. These are the ones that look nothing like a cigarette and more like a sonic screwdriver. The power can be varied and the amount of nicotine in the liquid is also completely variable, from zero to a typical maximum of 36mg/ml.

The so called 'cigalikes' produced by BT or companies such as eLite are not very good and turn out to be nearly as expensive as smoking. Since nicotine when separated from a cigarette has few contra indications, there seems to be no good (or proven) reason why PVs (personal vapourisers) should not be used long term and many vapers do not feel that there is any need for a 'cure'. However, it is true that some of the advertising is wrongly targeted - bear in mind though that by law PVs are not allowed to make any claims about being a quit aid.

It certainly isn't 'tosh' about using them to give up smoking - for many committed smokers (now ex smokers) they are by far the most effective way of doing so on a long term basis. At my local the other night there was a 50:50 split between smokers and vapers and there's an estimated 2.6M vapers now; that's risen from 2.1M in the last year.

You're quite right about BT and BP having formidable lobbying and advertising power and of course governments are losing a lot of tax revenue too. A further significant factor is the EU's TPD Article 20 (Tobacco Products Directive), due to become law next May. This will ban all current 2nd and 3rd generation devices leaving the market open for BT and their ineffective cigalikes. The TPD is clearly the result of a corrupted, unelected few, with decisions made behind closed doors and funded by tobacco and pharma. It's a big and complex subject and the big money has effectively finished vaping in Spain before it really started; California too has some ludicrous and completely unfounded propaganda - they've spent their money from the 'Master Tobacco Settlement' already and are now in a real hole as tobacco revenues drop. Their answer, at the expense of public health, is to try and maintain smoking tax revenues.

40 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Bayley Blondie1984 Chelsea_farley12 chosin Hollyrose joanajord14 katyburns ladysextasy Paris Sarahkawaiilondon Softgentle tashaholz v_laing
analog azurphotos covergirlpix davebarcs Davie46 djb1 dorrian elwood fannmore Gabby_d GProductions Ianmcculloch jayfish Joeycatina johntisbury Kjoservices londonglamourtog Mattcairns modelboutique Nebster555 Nik_bryant paulp_60 photogenica photon skymouse Stuh
chosin