Thank you

Profile Pictures is off-line
21 November 2015 18:55
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Amongst the portfolio are some nice shots, though there's a repetitive feel to them as a collection and I think a significant cull would present your style more favourably.
There are also a lot of non events recorded, even duplicates of these, no narrative, nothing in the costume or pose or narrative to give interest.
Its plain you can take a good picture, but not that you know when that's happened beyond the parameters of exposure and focus etc. Just occasionally, there are hints of great things though.

22 November 2015 09:23
PaulManuell
Photographer

Thanks for your review. I totally agree that a cull should be on the cards. Not just for the reason you give though, but also because I'm at the limit of my allowable number of photos for Silver membership. I also agree that there's a lot of samey stuff on my profile; maybe time I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something a bit different. Not being very creative myself though, I might have to rely on my models to come up with ideas (not that they don't already have significant input on my shoots, I hasten to add). And that word 'narrative' - I see it often in magazines and forum discussions, but tbh, to me it's just a bit pretentious. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking photographers who want their work to tell a story or have a meaning, but me, I just want to take nice pictures of models. And finally, thanks for the compliments in your review, they're much appreciated.

diipii is off-line
18 February 2016 07:18
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

"maybe time I stepped out of my comfort zone"
Spot on.

"rely on my models to come up with ideas"
No, who's work it this ?

"have a meaning"
Without this your forum post title is right on the money.
It only happens all the time.

19 February 2016 15:03
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from diipii

"rely on my models to come up with ideas"
No, who's work it this ?

If the shoot's tf, I consider the work to be ours (mine and the model's). If I'm paying the model, the work's mine. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like or appreciate any ideas or input from her.

19 February 2016 15:14
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from diipii

your forum post title is right on the money.

I know, that's why I chose it. I'm not precious about my photography, I don't consider myself an artist, I don't make images that capture a moment in time or any other of that pretentious PaulManuell is a naughty person . I'm simply a bloke (or guy) who happens to love taking photos of attractive women and I own a camera with which to do so, hence I'm a GWC.

21 February 2016 18:14
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Clinging to the word 'pretentious' has become a little bit of an intellectual figleaf I suspect. If you're staying a picture of a lady flagging down a car whilst secreting a hand gun you really are telling a story, narrative, whichever word currently jars you least. You suggest a collaboration of ideas which is a creative process, hence imagining a story, however short, you will try to tell.

Face it, its your opinion of others that's holding you back, and you'd have to ask yourself why, wouldn't you?

21 February 2016 18:17
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

And since you're not making technical photographs, sorry, you are an artist. Its ok, nobody will think any worse of you for that. You're producing intellectual property, enjoy.

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
roxsanniebel ryansd
Daddylonglense davidn dorrian eosfan imageatthemill Images1854 jccj1 lify mlp Mwphotos plymjack powerbook92 Reynard scott24 stevegosh Steveh32 Steveharratt talldave68 vjmatt wayne Willjamieson