Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
19 December 2015 11:01
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Hi,
This is for techno's or  pc friendly guys..

I had my HP laptop updated years ago.....the guy was straight out off uni and downloaded  windows 7 pro software to update my ordinary 7.....Updates from then on have been added from microsoft,no issues come up...Now ive a msg saying i have a invalid copy.......i dont really want windows 10,but am i now gonna get it with no choices..
Can contact repairer as was abot 5/6 years ago & he now doesnt fix pc's....

Any none photographic replies just help avioding windows 10...if possible...

19 December 2015 11:05
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Oh and apologies if late replying,no internet at home.......will answer as soon as i can.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
19 December 2015 11:43
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

You've got a number of choices you could get a valid copy of W7. Go for W8 but I wouldn't or why not go W10. I bought a second hand PC with W7. I asked the guy if it was a valid copy he told me it does updates without any problems. In the end I bought the parts to build my own PC and used the HD from the previous PC. To my amazement the PC fired up with the W7 that was on the HD. Did not expect it to happen and I'm not sure it should have.

I think like yourself I one day received a similar message to yours from MS. I ended up buying legit copy of W8 from a computer fair. It was cheaper than W7 and I thought what could be so wrong with it as an OS. Wrong then 8.1 was released and this sorted some of the problems but not all.

Forgot to say but the W8 copy I bought was I think an upgrade version and it somehow managed to upgrade from the hooky W7 but I think this was the problem with my PC. You may have to think about how you upgrade from your dodgy W7.

You obviously have a problem with W10 but I upgraded to it as soon as I could after release and have had no problems with it. If I could have earlier I should have bought a legit W7 and stuck with it. This is mainly down to some of my hardware not working with W8 and W10. I think your only option is to buy a copy of W7 as you may not be able to upgrade from W7 you've got but I was able to. Don't ask me how maybe MS were happy to see I was upgrading to a legit Windows.

20 December 2015 14:05
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Yep, Thanks for that.My only negative about W10 is all the negative mail written in computer active mag,about software disappearing etc etc, my CS3 is a copy so dont want to lose that....
Think its the hard handed way MS has gone about wanting everyone to upgrade to W10.I have always been happy with XP and W7 pro,never needed to upgrade to other versions.....

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 December 2015 15:08
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Windows 7 is superb (I've got two machines running it) and would love to know if there's a way to stop them pestering me to 'upgrade' (I use that term lightly) with that naff icon that keeps appearing.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
20 December 2015 16:12
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

Quote from xtiggerx
Yep, Thanks for that.My only negative about W10 is all the negative mail written in computer active mag,about software disappearing etc etc, my CS3 is a copy so dont want to lose that.... Think its the hard handed way MS has gone about wanting everyone to upgrade to W10.I have always been happy with XP and W7 pro,never needed to upgrade to other versions.....

I didn't lose any software but I didn't do a fresh install. You can keep all your original files.  It's said the best thing to do is a fresh install which wipes everything but if you want to save your existing stuff.  Choose the save option don't ask me how it's done but it is simple from what I remember. The change is very straight forward but it's not an absolute guarantee you won't lose anything. 
I crossed my fingers, whatever way you choose to put a legit copy of Windows onto your PC.  You're going to have the problem of keeping your existing software I think W10 gives you the best option in saving all your old software.  I'm no expert 

Aegean is off-lineSilver Member
24 December 2015 15:30
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

I used to use Windows 7 because my Premiere CS3 would not work on Windows 8. I updated from 7 to 10 and it works fine! Windows 8 is rubbish but I now have all my PCs (3+laptop) running Windows 10 and it is stable and seems to run all my software OK.
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

Profile Pictures is off-lineSilver Member
24 December 2015 16:06
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

As I understand it, W10 is the last of its type, and no decisions will follow. I was happy enough with W7 and got issued a work laptop with 10, and subsequently specced up and had built a desktop for editing, also running 10. Some things have moved a bit or changed name a bit, but it seems pretty intuitive and I'd think a upgrade to your pc and OS could be very cost effective right now.

Aegean is off-lineSilver Member
24 December 2015 16:14
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

I may be being a little paranoid but I suspect that when Windows 10 reaches a certain level of usage and you cannot go back to earlier versions that Microsoft will suddenly announce that Windows will no longer be free but will be only usable by a monthly subscription the same way Adobe now costs me for Adobe CC.
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
24 December 2015 18:39
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from AegeanSoft
I may be being a little paranoid but I suspect that when Windows 10 reaches a certain level of usage and you cannot go back to earlier versions that Microsoft will suddenly announce that Windows will no longer be free but will be only usable by a monthly subscription the same way Adobe now costs me for Adobe CC.

No. But be very clear of one thing. When you get something free you are no longer the client. You are the product.

Microsoft have made a very careful calculation that the information you are providing them about yourself by using Windows 10 is worth far more than what they get by selling you an update every few years. Take a look at the default privacy settings. Virtually everything you do on your computer is monitored and recorded so Microsoft and anyone they pass your data to can give a 'enhanced customer service' At the moment if you are smart you can turn pretty much everything off but that won't last. At some stage in the future they will demand you are logged into a microsoft account online all the time. Rather than just make life awkward if you decline as they do at the moment.

Cortana, or whatever they call it is really quite horrifying. Everything you type. Every search you do. Every word said in front of this updated Microsoft paperclip is forwarded to Microsoft in the guise of being able to offer a better service. For those using it Microsoft will  quickly know more about them than their own partners. More than even a good PA would be trusted with.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

42 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Bayley Blondie1984 Chelsea_farley12 Chezibabe99 chosin Hollyrose joanajord14 ladysextasy Paris Sarahkawaiilondon Softgentle tashaholz v_laing
analog azurphotos covergirlpix davebarcs Davie46 djb1 dorrian elwood fannmore Gabby_d GProductions Ianmcculloch jayfish Joeycatina johntisbury Kjoservices londonglamourtog Mattcairns modelboutique Nebster555 Nik_bryant paulp_60 peteb photogenica photon skymouse Stuh wacTony
chosin