Reminder Secure

best place to buy eneloop batteries

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Moorlane is off-line
25 February 2016 13:58
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Please can anyone advise on the best place to buy eneloop rechargeable batteries. Also do they require a special charger? Thanks

Dave Beasley is online
25 February 2016 14:15
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Amazon - you can buy them with or without charger, with fast charger or not-very-fast charger. Usually (but not always) you get a better deal if you buy both as a package.

Profile Pictures is off-line
25 February 2016 14:36
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

They do deserve a decent charger, 7 day shop do one with facility to discharge and refresh and verious other,things with individual lcd displays for each battery. I've found it really good.

Paul Riddell is off-line
26 February 2016 06:06
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Can someone give me the technical details of why eneloops are so much better over other rechargables?

What is it about them that is perceived to be so good?

I hear several photographers saying they are the best, but no one can give me a real reason why.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Dave Beasley is online
26 February 2016 06:25
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I believe main reason is because they hold their charge when not being used.

Have a read of Panasonic's web site;

http://www.panasonic-batteries.com/eu/news/panasonic-launches-eneloop-rechargeable

w4pictures is off-line
26 February 2016 07:07
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

OP - No, they don't need a special charger. AAs are small batts so a slow charge will be kinder to them than a fast charge i.e. they will run for longer and last longer.Most chargers will charge NiCd and NiMH batts and you will get the longest life from your batts if you get a decent charger/discharger.

It is possible to find lithium AA batteries which would seem the obvious choice in 2016 but they are not yet widely available in the way NiMH batts are. This may be a transport/postage/airline issue but certainly worth looking into as they should outperform NiMHs in every way.

Riddell - Panasonic cells are well regarded. Many batts for pro applications are made using them and so Eneloops are similarly well regarded. The best? That's hard to say.
The 3 main elements of a battery are capacity, lifetime and shelf life. The first two ate linked by the proportions of chemicals in the cell, thus standard Eneloops advertise 4 times the operating life of Eneloop Pros but at the cost of reduced capacity. I don't consider shelf-life important as I would not go out on a shoot without having freshly charged batteries.
So there are also excellent batts available from Duracell, Energiser etc. but whether the performance difference is worth the research, I doubt.
On the basis that they will get lost, stepped on, inadvertently thrown away, I would get the highest capacity, shortest life.

Having said that, I've gone back to alkaline. Not very eco but at £20 for 100 with a shelf life of several years, they are definitely ever ready!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
26 February 2016 07:52
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from riddell
Can someone give me the technical details of why eneloops are so much better over other rechargables? What is it about them that is perceived to be so good? I hear several photographers saying they are the best, but no one can give me a real reason why.

You can leave Eneloops for 2-3 years and they still hold most of their charge.  Standard NiMH batteries will typically lose their charge after a few weeks.

Obviously for a professional like yourself who will use the batteries regularly it's not an issue, but for many of us amateurs who can go weeks/months or even years without shooting it's comforting to know the batteries are always ready and are more chemically stable (as allowing natural discharge often damages batteries).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Profile Pictures is off-line
26 February 2016 08:57
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Eneloop pro, the black ones are high capacity batteries which once fully charged will keep 85% of that charge for a year. During wedding season we run about 26 AA at every event, eneloop are my favourite and I never need to swap a set out for drainage ( but could easily from flash gun to transceiver unit if I needed the extra kick) the real beauty of them is that when the full compliment are charged up and you're shooting both days of the weekend, you're reassured that each set will have avoided the drain factor of some other rechargeables.

Moorlane is off-line
27 February 2016 09:06
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

thanks guys- much appreciated !

Moorlane is off-line
27 February 2016 11:25
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

lots of suppliers on Amazon - does anyone have a recommended supplier? The difference between Panasonic eneloops and Sanyo eneloops ? And what does 3rd generation 4th generation mean? Thanks

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
dby47 diphoto eosfan fannmore jackw paulreeves RupertRudd russelanthroof Skystudio smooth_image Thunder_Photos violins WellandPhoto Willy_O xcellent
Charlottealom
barlowstudios