Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
27 February 2016 12:53
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Moorlane
lots of suppliers on Amazon - does anyone have a recommended supplier? The difference between Panasonic eneloops and Sanyo eneloops ? And what does 3rd generation 4th generation mean? Thanks

Sanyo were the original manufacturer of the Eneloop battery trademark.  Since their introduction Sanyo have merged with Panasonic and obviously somewhere along the line the decision was made to brand them as Panasonic (since they are trademarked they will be the genuine thing although other other manufacturers have since brought out similar technologies but they cannot call them 'Eneloop' ).

As for the 3rd / 4th generation... the 4th generation ones are obviously a newer design (being a generation ahead of 3rd generation), simple really.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

King13 is off-lineSilver Member
28 February 2016 14:23
kingnorman13NK
Photographer

London

These batteries are described in Amateur Photographer this week (27 February 2016) under 'Accessories, page 47, but
doesn't say where best to buy them.

Moorlane is off-line
28 February 2016 15:20
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Thanks there s a supplier on that auction website ( ! ) based in Stockport with delivery in 3 days so that will do! £28 for a dozen of the pro ones

Paul Riddell is off-line
29 February 2016 11:24
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Thanks all for your info.

Obviously keeping the charge for years is of very little interest to myself, I'll probably get through 2 or 3 sets in a day sometimes.

What would be more of interest (and price doesn't really matter much) Is are there any better batteries for pro use?

I see industrial batteries which claim a higher Mh output, but what is it like when used in a flash that constantly needs to keep draining in a stop start fashion. Need a fast recycle rate for this reason.

Also how do they tail off? Slowly or just suddenly die?

And what would be the quickest chargers?

I'm not totally convienced that rechargables re the best option, but I'm spending a fortune on Duracell ultra, which I find are the best in a flash gun.

www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Profile Pictures is off-line
29 February 2016 14:03
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Keeping charge is of use, then when you charge a load up you can leave them ready to go and grab however many sets you'll use that day. Gives you time to charge them when you're not so busy and store.

If your needs are higher output and longer duration of use, you'd be better to consider an external battery pack rather than individual rechargeable. I can rely on a set of black eneloop for a whole wedding, though in winter might make a change during the evening for safety sake.

Eneloop are 2-3 seconds recycle before firing not much difference in the short term between the 200mah and 2500mah but with extended use the extra power does show up and they last longer, becoming a little faster than the 2000's as time passes. The difference isn't massive so you'll want to do a cost/benefit thing perhaps. Tail off is gradual as recycle time extends towards the point they give up. You might note eneloop rated at 1.2V, but they charge at 1.5 or above.

I dispute the results in this test in terms of recycle time, but it is useful comparatively. The chaps says seven seconds, I count three, sometimes less with white or black eneloop. From SLR Lounge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cueMf2tj4HY

For charging, I like these type, they are avaialble under various brand names https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzxmd5LbQhg

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
dby47 diphoto eosfan fannmore jackw paulreeves RupertRudd russelanthroof Skystudio smooth_image Thunder_Photos violins WellandPhoto Willy_O xcellent
Charlottealom
barlowstudios