Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
01 March 2016 06:01
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Hey all...
Im looking to finally update my ancient laptop,its handled my work load and internet useage,its a AMD Turion64,17" HP Pavilion,using Win 7Pro,i use CS3 its a heavy item and been upgraded as much as it can with extra ram,but still too slow.....
MY QUESTION IS..........im happy with AMD and dont want Windows10 if i can aviod it when buying a new pc,doesnt have to be a laptop but screen size needs to be 17" or larger....im thinking of changing to a Apple? Mac.....maybe a all in one.....
So im looking for advice and best models to aim for.....Ive always been a careful buyer rather than spending 'big bucks' cause its "in" or new.I dont have a iphone and dont desire one.....i dont download games,music or movies....

Thanks for reading.......

HowardJ is off-line
01 March 2016 18:16
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from xtiggerx
Hey all...
Im looking to finally update my ancient laptop,its handled my work load and internet useage,its a AMD Turion64,17" HP Pavilion,using Win 7Pro,i use CS3 its a heavy item and been upgraded as much as it can with extra ram,but still too slow.....
MY QUESTION IS..........im happy with AMD and dont want Windows10 if i can aviod it when buying a new pc,doesnt have to be a laptop but screen size needs to be 17" or larger....im thinking of changing to a Apple? Mac.....maybe a all in one.....
So im looking for advice and best models to aim for.....Ive always been a careful buyer rather than spending 'big bucks' cause its "in" or new.I dont have a iphone and dont desire one.....i dont download games,music or movies....

Thanks for reading.......

Don't buy a Mac then. You'll be overpaying.

You could get a hackintosh off eBay or a Windows PC and yep, you'll be stuck with Windows 10. There's plenty of companies advertising high spec desktops. You could even buy an NUC tiny PC and a big monitor.

It really depends how expandable you want it to be moving forward. Do you want spare drive bays? You want an SSD for system and application files, so it boots and launches programs quickly? Do you want the machine to have user upgradeable RAM and disk?

Most Macs, except for the more expensive ones, don't have user upgradeable anything e.g. the lower spec imacs don't have user accessible ram slots.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
02 March 2016 02:25
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The feedback from people I work with who have newer machines is that Windows 10 isn't too bad, it's certainly a massive improvement over Windows 8. And I think it's just one of those things that you have to (albeit reluctantly) accept change (I've got similar concerns when it comes to getting my next machine).

Of course if you build your own machine you can easily have Windows 7 installed so why not do that?
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

02 March 2016 02:40
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Lenovo still supply machines with Windows 7 if you want it, it's likely other manufacturers (who allow customisation like Dell) do too.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

AGS is off-line
02 March 2016 21:30
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Be much cheaper to pop a new hard drive in and do a fresh install surely, be blazing fast too. Win is notorious for building up digital snot in its folders, which over time can slow down and clog things up... also watch for buggered registry entries and malware taking up runtime. Have you considered trying to overclock it ? give it a go if you're going to ditch it anyway... you could be surprised by the results

The biggest shame in the world for me is seeing people bench perfectly good computers just because they get 'slow'. Maybe open it up, clean dust off the fan to speed it up - all the little things help, and then, if it's still not fast enough - upgrade. As said though hackintosh is the way if you want mac / pc - just don't update it... ever.

03 March 2016 02:11
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from AndyGStudios
Be much cheaper to pop a new hard drive in and do a fresh install surely, be blazing fast too. Win is notorious for building up digital snot in its folders, which over time can slow down and clog things up... also watch for buggered registry entries and malware taking up runtime. Have you considered trying to overclock it ? give it a go if you're going to ditch it anyway... you could be surprised by the results The biggest shame in the world for me is seeing people bench perfectly good computers just because they get 'slow'. Maybe open it up, clean dust off the fan to speed it up - all the little things help, and then, if it's still not fast enough - upgrade. As said though hackintosh is the way if you want mac / pc - just don't update it... ever.

Part of the reason many machine get 'slow' isn't because of clutter on the hard drives but lack of memory.  Many machines, especially consumer / gaming ones have very limited scope for expansion in this respect (most often due to motherboard limits on the amount of RAM they can take) and more often than not will be the bottleneck as the software and one's editing gets more advanced.  The OP has also already stated he's maxed out the RAM as much as it can go and thus this makes the most sense from where I'm sitting.

AGS is off-line
03 March 2016 08:39
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Lack of memory when you consider people put more weight and demands on the system as time goes on and software gets ever more complex and demanding, yes I agree, but when new, it's fast as feck, despite the unexpanded ram. I was just suggesting trying something largely free before going to the bank. That makes the most sense to me from where i'm sitting. Other opinions will no doubt be available; i'd sooner have more options than less... but that's just me. Once you overreach the systems ability to cope however, then yes, new one required.

03 March 2016 08:42
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

For a new machine I would consider 16GB to be a bare minimum nowadays, though 32GB+ is what I'd personally aim for. It's not just for whether you'd fill it but having oodles of memory allows the system to juggle around blocks of it more easily so having at least twice as much as you need is handy in this respect.

AGS is off-line
03 March 2016 08:43
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Have to agree, 32 is the new 8... well, 64 ideally to build a bit of future-proofing into it, and especially if you're doing a lot of video work.

Yum !

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/meet-the-laptop-with-64gb-ram-5tb-ssd-and-6-usb-ports-798862

(The maximum configuration can go up to a whopping $11,473) - some good expandability there !

03 March 2016 08:47
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The problem with 64GB is that most consumer based machines aren't really that stable with it.  Very few QVLs (qualified vendor lists) from motherboard manufacturers support it on i3/5/7 systems and so 32GB is the most sensible (and stable) limit at present.

If money were no object I'd have one of these fully populated... 1TB RAM! angry

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Casslass Heather94 paige_hendrix SophieLouise1991
Chris_Mansfield Darren27 gerryquiff jrdphotography jsp rscott360