Reminder Secure

Canon 5D vs Bronica SQ Print Quality?

Anthonygh is off-lineSilver Member
03 March 2016 05:19
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Most of my gear is pretty retro.....almost all my model shoots are with the above two systems.

I recently produced a 24" print from a 120 neg (A2 being the most I had previously printed myself) and was very impressed with the IQ of the print....it is obvious I could have gone a lot larger if I wanted. Sometimes size does matter!!

I used my 5D in the same session, and would like to print up some of the digital files to the same size...and square format (so effectively dumping a third of the file data due to cropping to sq format).

I wondered if anyone could recommend (from personal experience) any process or software to allow me to achieve this; a quality 24" sq print from a 5D file.

Dave Beasley is off-line
03 March 2016 05:44
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

What are you printing on? I use a Canon ipf5100 printer so can only do up to 17" on shortest dimension, for all my printing I use canon plugin for Photoshop, although Canons DPP software also seems pretty good.

03 March 2016 05:50
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I am using an Epson with Photoshop to edit the files.

It is more about file size than printer...I am reducing file size on the neg files to get the prints, but need to increase the 5D size a fair amount to get to even a 200 dpi print that is 24" sq.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 March 2016 05:58
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Have you tried ladder scaling? (although Photoshop's standard scaling works well enough nowadays so I'm led to believe).

Doing a gentle overlay with gaussian noise may give a slight grain effect if it's too fuzzy once enlarged.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
03 March 2016 06:11
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from anthonyh
need to increase the 5D size a fair amount to get to even a 200 dpi print that is 24" sq.

You should only need to multiply by 1.65 to give you a 24" image at 200dpi.
It would need a very good magnifying glass to spot that difference in pixel size once printed.
Bob

03 March 2016 09:14
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from Bob
You should only need to multiply by 1.65 to give you a 24" image at 200dpi.
It would need a very good magnifying glass to spot that difference in pixel size once printed.
Bob

I will be trying various experiments this evening but posted here in case anyone had an instant answerfrown

05 March 2016 16:20
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

For what it is worth...I am struggling to get a print where the 5D matches the MF neg scan....particularly as I have used software to improve the scan....but it might be I am too fussy!

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
adolfohdz charlie91 emmawillis JenNev Nicoletoone Paige_hendrix
ad360photo antoinewynn benny1 copperbronze djb1 Dolayley GerryS2 James7799 jbdefty keltica Kjoservices Mharris michaelhoward mike0048 mikebee modjo30 NigelAdams philippahh Pixeleight8 skymouse stevegosh thelook wbasset
harbourstudio