Reminder Secure

PC to Mac - considering the switch

Alan Johnson is off-line
14 March 2016 09:29
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

An interesting and recent review at http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsoft-windows-10-1/page/0/5 

"..........But, critically, this will be the last time Windows users should ever need to go through such an upheaval. Never again will they need to move from Windows 10 to Windows 11 or beyond. Instead, Windows is becoming a service, and just as the Insider builds  progressively introduced new features and interface elements during the development of the new OS, the public release of Windows 10 will continue to develop over time. There may not ever be a Windows 11, in fact: major features that would previously have been saved up for a major release will now trickle out through Windows Update as they become ready.

This makes Windows 10 very much a moving target. It might work one way when you install it, but turn into something quite different in a year’s time. For businesses, Microsoft is providing options to keep things stable, but for consumers running the Home edition of Windows 10, Microsoft has taken the bold decision to disallow the skipping or deferring of updates. Like it or not, upgrading means taking an open-ended leap of faith......"

".....
That being the case, you might understandably be concerned that your hardware could start to struggle as the OS develops. The user experience could be volatile too: Microsoft has already showcased the idea of interactive Live Tiles for a future update. With a few changes like that, Windows 10 could morph into something quite different to the platform before us today, and there’s no guarantee that we’ll like it....."

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

AGS is off-line
14 March 2016 09:48
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Poking fun at them as they fight though lol - priceless.

I was upset when Win95 went Win98, didn't like it, then I learned to get a long with it. Vista was dragged out of the abortion bin and set lose on the world, avoided that one in favour of XP for the longest time. I made the transition to Win7 and haven't looked back... most stable of the Windows OS that doesn't feature tiles or other §hitty tablet functions.

All OS's evolve, you would barely recognise Win7 next to GemApps these days, or Amiga OS4 compared to its Workbench 3.1 beginnings. Mac has gone from blue and white basic interface with macdraw and macwrite (yes I once owned a mac, and an amiga, and an atari st for midi, and a commodore vic20 for that matter)... to well, it looks good, performs good; but then so does Beos, Hackintosh, Ubuntu and other nix clones... They all have their pros and cons, and stretch out in directions people couldn't even conceive of just 10 years ago.

So my advice, put your money into something that suits you best that's within your budget. Brand loyalty is for mugs... keep your options open, and do your research. Stay away from proprietary solutions and people who tell you what they want you to use instead of allowing you to make your own decisions like an adult.

Alan Johnson is off-line
14 March 2016 10:32
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

Quote from AndyGStudios
Poking fun at them as they fight though lol - priceless. I was upset when Win95 went Win98, didn't like it, then I learned to get a long with it. Vista was dragged out of the abortion bin and set lose on the world, avoided that one in favour of XP for the longest time. I made the transition to Win7 and haven't looked back... most stable of the Windows OS that doesn't feature tiles or other §hitty tablet functions. All OS's evolve, you would barely recognise Win7 next to GemApps these days, or Amiga OS4 compared to its Workbench 3.1 beginnings. Mac has gone from blue and white basic interface with macdraw and macwrite (yes I once owned a mac, and an amiga, and an atari st for midi, and a commodore vic20 for that matter)... to well, it looks good, performs good; but then so does Beos, Hackintosh, Ubuntu and other nix clones... They all have their pros and cons, and stretch out in directions people couldn't even conceive of just 10 years ago. So my advice, put your money into something that suits you best that's within your budget. Brand loyalty is for mugs... keep your options open, and do your research. Stay away from proprietary solutions and people who tell you what they want you to use instead of allowing you to make your own decisions like an adult.

I don't think anyone is poking fun.
That is a straight talking review that raises an important consideration.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

AGS is off-line
14 March 2016 12:03
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

I was relating to my previous post, but im not serious, it's all a bit tongue in cheek.

I don't harbour any brand loyalty, so efforts in that regard are wasted on me, I go to what suits me best at the time; for example, I own Nikon, Canon, and Mamiya. I have Playstations, Xboxes, a Gamecube and a Dreamcast... I have a Ford and a Toyota. I have 5 PC's (1 laptop, 1 media pc, 1 graphics machine, 1 midi machine, and a general use system)... a CUBE tablet, a Samsung phone... a Korg controller, a Yamaha DJX2 and a Roland D10 - you get the idea... whatever works best to your needs and suits your budget.

People get trapped in this "mines better than yours" thing, and the brands they look at are mainstream and narrow minded. How many on here have for example considered getting a PhaseONE, or a lightfield camera ? Amiga in the 90's was THE go-to media machine, heck they rendered tv show Babylon 5 on one back when the mac had a blue and white 9 inch screen, and a pc went "BEEP" and displayed 4 colour CGA unless you were lucky enough to own a digisolve pixel-engine. Printing at the time was limited to dot matrix and hot wax okimate's printing sub on a checkout roll was the norm.

People keep relating back to days when problems with both platforms were many... I mean WHY ! those niggling issues people used to bully others have largely been solved now. It was true in 1992 sure, but it's 2016 now, and those old systems aren't even comparable to what we have today; I learned DTP on a 12 megabyte Amstrad 2386 with a black and white HiRes Herc card, and did my CAD training on an Olivetti M24 !

Gotta open your mind, look around, take in the reviews, look at the software and the support, does it do what you want for the price. Beware the big brands imho, that's how they control, and turn you into an advertising drone... saves em millions. the other, and last consideration too when asking advice online is... are the people you're asking, paid or sponsored in some way to tell you that product is great; a real mindƒuck that one lol, great way to get free gear too. Food for thought, take opinions with a pinch of salt and source your info from as many places as possible before handing over your cash.

Folks, just be yourself, unique, not a sheep, and don't listen to outdated and endlessly recycled arguments.

G Jack B is off-line
15 March 2016 12:07
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Indeed - I use Android phones & tablets for most of what I do... and they can run office apps so an android "PC" would be easy to use. Yes if you want high end production gear then go ahead and spend a fortune but for most mortals less is indeed more!
Who knows what we will use tomorrow?
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

AGS is off-line
15 March 2016 22:12
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Yup, my Samsung Fame android phone does the same things an iDevice does (minus itunes), but it cost £25 2nd hand, not £399 with a case & screen that act as a fingerprint magnet. It's a phone, it rings people, posts on twitter, does facebook, takes pics, has a radio and plays mp3's... even has a spirit level, games and some party apps So if I HAD the remaining £374, what COULD I have spent it on ! studio time ? studio and model ? 6 model days - the mind boggles lol And that's just the phone !

Think I paid about £110 for the tablet, a quarter the price of the equivalent iDevice. It can be renewed/replaced by newer revisions 4 times in the time the iDevice has to last and keep up.

diipii is off-line
26 March 2016 06:18
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

I have used Macs for the past 30 years and am now considering a PC because:
Macs are not reliable and not honestly priced.
Apple is obsessed with fashion items not pro equipment or software.
User upgrading Macs is very difficult or impossible.
They don't work any better than a PC.
Even the new Mac Pro has issues with graphics cards, recalls, overheating.
iMacs are the worst for overheating grilling themselves to death in a very few years. (from personal experience)
Stick with what you know and concentrate on the photography.

It only happens all the time.

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
GeorgiaEmilyAustin
andrewf azurphotos Cheshunt83 firsttake HarishPadalia Ladiesman mrdl PhilStorm pompeytog psn rcimages rscott360 Scottda spiritofwales Steveh32 talldave68 westend_portfolios Zuiko zzdigital