John Enger is off-line
26 March 2016 14:29
JohnEnger
Photographer
JohnEnger
Norway
Nannestad

Heya'll,

I just wanted to share my recent experience with Canson Canvas HD 400g. I just got a pack to play with on my Epson R3000.
The result came out fantastic! Since Canson offer profiles for download on their website, I did not have to experiment the least bit. It was all just plug and play. And with a result to be amazed by to boot. I'll be offering clients canvas prints from now on!

Happy Easter!
John

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
26 March 2016 16:05
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Upload image to professional printer. Await delivery. Hand to client. No risk no hassle no experimenting no size limits.I understand the personal satisfaction, much like I used to enjoy messing around in the darkroom at times but commercially it makes no sense
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

diipii is off-line
31 March 2016 11:27
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Isn't Canvas a photograph trying to be a painting ?
It only happens all the time.

Paul Riddell is off-line
31 March 2016 13:06
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Have to agree with redbaron.

For commercial purposes, i.e. to sell to customers you shouldn't be printing yourself, it takes too much time, is a pain in the ass, and most importantly is not spectacularly great quality, after all anyone can print at home on their own inkjet.

www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

John Enger is off-line
31 March 2016 13:20
JohnEnger
Photographer
JohnEnger
Norway
Nannestad

I think it was pretty hassle free, quite fast. Like 5 minutes for A4 size. I have had several print-shops screw up colors for me. It was an experiment, initially, but if I can make the prints at the price of the ink and canvas, I see no reason to send the work away. It may not roll in the big bucks, but what the hell..

Paul Riddell is off-line
01 April 2016 05:15
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

> I have had several print-shops screw up colors for me. That's because you are not using one of the genuine professional shops. There are literally thousands of cheap places out there on the internet that cater for the average person. The quality if comparing them to your own efforts from your R3000 will be similar. For commercial sales, you should be going to one of the pro places. Massive difference in quality and no colour issues.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
01 April 2016 07:40
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from JohnEnger
I think it was pretty hassle free, quite fast. Like 5 minutes for A4 size. I have had several print-shops screw up colors for me. It was an experiment, initially, but if I can make the prints at the price of the ink and canvas, I see no reason to send the work away. It may not roll in the big bucks, but what the hell..

Five minutest to print. PLUS
  • An hour fitting it to quality stretcher bars, making sure it is evenly tensioned, the edges taped, the hanging fitments added
  • An hour carefully coating with archive quality varnish/laminate to protect the finish. (I include cleaning you equipment)
  • The costs of protective wrapping to keep the product safe on the journey home by your client

I assume of course the canvas is a heavy 405gsm museum grade canvas, which is pH Neutral and meets the archival standards set forth by the ‘Fine Art Trade Guild’. (Good for 100 years)

I send them away because I am a professional photographer. They in turn are professional printers and paying clients quite rightly expect a professional finished product. The result is I almost certainly make a lot more from each canvas I sell that you ever will, despite the extra cost.

As I have said. I can understand someone doing it for their own fun and experience. If you imagine that doing this is somehow saving money from a business perspective though then sorry but you really need to book yourself onto a business course.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

John Enger is off-line
01 April 2016 11:52
JohnEnger
Photographer
JohnEnger
Norway
Nannestad

Thank you all for the great advice. The original posting was a product recommendation. I ended up getting business recommendations. Nice going guys!

AGS is off-line
01 April 2016 14:23
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Have to agree with RedBaron here... we ran a printshop at my old studio, bubblewrap at £14 a go, pain in the ass HP printer, scores of binned prints that had line skip issues or banding, and if the client isn't happy - can yo up the saturation and do it again so it's "fit for purpose" (a legal statement you have to adhere to if you want to keep their money.)

I go Pro now, someone else's issue. Take Photobox for example, I printed my first port book through them... they scuffed the cover on the first, glued together a couple of pages on the second, and had duplicate pages in the third. They got it right on the fourth attempt, kudos too em as well, it's mint, but they probably spent the profit of a single sale getting to the 4th one. So all the effort, and not much to show for it; great result mind... and I have 3 spares I can throw around while I keep one for best in it's wrapper.

Our experience was similar, oh we did tees, mugs, the usual stuff. Maintenance on top of the gear to keep up with deadlines, building pine and mdf frames into the night, which all have to be drum tight or they sag... right ballache, best to just be a studio, and let the printer guys handle the printing. It's nice to own a poster size printer, novel even for a while, but ultimately - a waste, very hard to make your money back on them if you take everything into consideration per sale from canvas and ink wastage to buying parts, the electricity, your time @ X whatever per hour, broken frames, accidental water drops or print issues. Good grade print materials and good grade inks cost, remember they have to last and be anti-fade. Cheaper canvas companies kick these £15 to £30 canvases out, and while they look great initially - they are garbage long term. No better way to stop return business.

John Enger is off-line
01 April 2016 17:21
JohnEnger
Photographer
JohnEnger
Norway
Nannestad

It still wasn't a request for business advice.
But thanks...

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa danixhale Dolphin Lushlolly Pinklilly tanyacox
abouncer azurphotos barrysmiles Blancho david1500 diphoto Essexjohn fannmore FlyingShot GlasgowPhotographer Hioctane ism1967 James7799 just_lez Kjoservices KrissB Ladiesman liteangle orca_photography philippahh Skystudio sniffer tonyk1
harbourstudio