Red dress looks orange - help!

JSP is onlinePlatinum Member
13 May 2016 06:23
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

I went out and about yesterday to do a fashion shoot in the late afternoon sun. My model wore a red dress. This is the 2nd time I have noticed that using my camera, reds tend to come out looking more orange than red - any tips on what I need to alter on my camra in order to get my reds to look red?

Any advice/tips would be very much appreciated.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
13 May 2016 06:31
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I always shoot with daylight (5500K) settings on the camera, never have serious issues. Any colour that's 'off' I correct by-eye in Lightroom

Get an X-Rite Colorchecker if accuracy is paramount. It works with Lightroom, and works well (and probably other packages though I've never checked).
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

13 May 2016 06:34
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from RedChecker
I always shoot with daylight (5500K) settings on the camera, never have serious issues. Any colour that's 'off' I correct by-eye in Lightroom Get an X-Rite Colorchecker if accuracy is paramount. It works with Lightroom, and works well (and probably other packages though I've never checked).

I use my camera in portrait mode. I'm a bit old-fashioned in that I use a grey card, but the reds still looks orange.laugh
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
13 May 2016 06:38
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The grey card won't correct all colour shifts though and is pretty crude compared to the Colorchecker. The Colorchecker (yes, it's spelt with the Americanised spelling of colour) does correct for colour shifts and excess sensitivity across the whole spectrum.

I presume your monitor's also calibrated?
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

13 May 2016 06:44
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from RedChecker
The grey card won't correct all colour shifts though and is pretty crude compared to the Colorchecker. The Colorchecker (yes, it's spelt with the Americanised spelling of colour) does correct for colour shifts and excess sensitivity across the whole spectrum.

I presume your monitor's also calibrated?

It sounds like I might have to get a Colorchecker to be 100% accurate. cheeky

At the moment that still leaves me with some beautiful shots of a lady in a red dress that looks slightly orange. laugh

Redimages is off-line
13 May 2016 07:18
paule
Photographer
paule
North Yorkshire

a calibrated monitor is a must..

I use Colorvision Spyder 2 ..I have a 4 but it's less configurable I find..

13 May 2016 08:50
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from paule
a calibrated monitor is a must.. I use Colorvision Spyder 2 ..I have a 4 but it's less configurable I find..

I used to use a spider pro 4 of my old high definition monitor. My new 4K monitor claims to be 99% accurate. 

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
13 May 2016 09:12
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

What white balance are you setting the camera to? Late afternoon sunlight is very warm- tending towards orange. A relatively quick and easy way to get a pretty good initial setting is to do a custom white balance using a gray card or even a sheet of white paper. I use an Expodisc which is a little bit more accurate but not a lot.

13 May 2016 09:28
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from magpie1
What white balance are you setting the camera to? Late afternoon sunlight is very warm- tending towards orange. A relatively quick and easy way to get a pretty good initial setting is to do a custom white balance using a gray card or even a sheet of white paper. I use an Expodisc which is a little bit more accurate but not a lot.

I use a custom white balance using a grey card. I shoot in Raw and JPEG. I am tending to find that the JPEG images are more accurate than the Raw files. Although obviously you can do more with Raw. frown

w4pictures is off-line
13 May 2016 10:59
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

What camera, what was the custom WB you used, was the dress in full sun, what do skin tones look like?

Late sun is much warmer than daylight and the colour temp can change quite quickly as the sun gets lower. But none of this should cause more than a colour tweak in post.

Before you spend money, run your monitor through this in the lighting conditions under which you usually edit and adjust accordingly

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
BBWKRYSTAL ElectraBlack evajohnson Katielouxox lucinauk Mattharris1985 Saphirerox
ad360photo carshaltonkev casell chandos clivemedia frankpht hylander iestyn kingfisher Ladiesman Mattcairns matthieulefevre moritz78 read redbaron Rhadamanthus rscott360 stevegosh Steveh32 Terry1964