Reminder Secure

Red dress looks orange - help!

Davkit is off-lineSilver Member
31 May 2016 07:29
davkit
Photographer

Surrey

I don't know what make of camera you are using, but, in general "portrait" mode will give muted colours. Faces are less red for instance. This could explain the red dress turning orange. Outdoors, on a Canon 5D Mk2, auto white balance works for me 90% of the time!

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
31 May 2016 07:34
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from StNeots
According to Wikipedia, Jasc owned PSP up to version 9. Paint Shop Pro is currently in 18 (X so your version must be version X2 (twelve). I think the menus haven't changed much and you want Adjust...Hue and Saturation...Hue/saturation/lightness. You can mask off the changes to only apply to one part of the image.

Thank you for your help. I will give that a go this afternoon. cheeky
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

31 May 2016 07:36
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from davkit
I don't know what make of camera you are using, but, in general "portrait" mode will give muted colours. Faces are less red for instance. This could explain the red dress turning orange. Outdoors, on a Canon 5D Mk2, auto white balance works for me 90% of the time!

That is an interesting idea that you have given me. I will try using my camera in standard mode and see if it makes a difference. frown

As you can see from my aviator, the image of Jade Samantha looks like she is wearing orange type of lipstick, when in fact I know it was bright red. This was in the studio using portrait mode. 
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Davkit is off-lineSilver Member
31 May 2016 08:41
davkit
Photographer

Surrey

Please remember that under studio flash you should always set your white balance on 'daylight', not 'flash' or anything else. If you look at my profile images you won't find any studio ones taken any other way! Picture style is always 'standard' on my Canon 5D Mk2 in this situation as well.

31 May 2016 14:43
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from davkit
Please remember that under studio flash you should always set your white balance on 'daylight', not 'flash' or anything else. If you look at my profile images you won't find any studio ones taken any other way! Picture style is always 'standard' on my Canon 5D Mk2 in this situation as well.

I usually do a custom white balance. I will leave my white balance on daylight from now on.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
03 June 2016 02:41
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Quote from Ladiesman

I have saved the website to my favourites and well test my monitor properly tomorrow. 

I've tried the white balance on auto and then changed it to a custom white balance using a grey card. The young lady is Asian looking and I would say that her skin tones are fairly accurate. On the bridge the dress does look red. But when I took to the open grass to photograph my model next to a gentleman who just happened to be practising with his violin, I noticed that her dress had definitely changed orange. I think the problem may well be that I forgot to add another custom white balance now that I was out in the open sun. 

Yes the dress was out in the full sun.

The model has just corrected the colour for me using colour inhancer on her mobile phone.

Not good when a mobile phone can correct the colour change, Remember though Actual colour on a monitor or print can vary immensely, A calibrated monitor and printer is ideal, Just to add something from a Nikon employee, (Not me by the way) if you set cameras screen to -1 it gives a much better idea of what you will get.

03 June 2016 07:59
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from paulford
Not good when a mobile phone can correct the colour change, Remember though Actual colour on a monitor or print can vary immensely, A calibrated monitor and printer is ideal, Just to add something from a Nikon employee, (Not me by the way) if you set cameras screen to -1 it gives a much better idea of what you will get.

No it's not good. On the plus side her versions in red are very low quality as whatever process she used, was definitely not very kind on the rest of the image.

I have tried photographing in standard & using natural daylight. I have found that the test images are definitely now red! cheeky

So I know how to prevent this problem in the 1st place, and of course thanks to you helpful members I now have a very good idea how to correct the problem on my older photos. frown

John Enger is off-line
03 June 2016 14:06
JohnEnger
Photographer
JohnEnger
Norway
Nannestad

If the red contains lots of cyan or blue, it will become more orange. Blues are the hardest color to capture. Some cameras are worse than others. Olympus older models suck at it. I changed to another brand.

45 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexa_red alibama Candykisses Casslass Claireb1 Fionajane Hollystoneukmodel JNewman Pippitsquips rubyrosetta tashaholz tiinak
BOBREEVES brianappleyard Cheshunt83 chrisuttley dhuntuk DJ200 drivenwild dsphoto GProductions grahamsphotography hughspictures4u keithpics Kjoservices lester2705 love MIB michael_cameraman mike0048 modelboutique munkeh musicman muz OTM_teresa Paulmanuell Photojames43 Picturemike redbaron seinfeld soulc spiritofwales TonyNutley yorkshire_dan
dorsetmakeupartist