NAS

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
23 May 2016 17:29
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hello all
I looking into getting a NAS set up which NAS would your recommend please and also i looking at maybe a 4 bay NAS can you put into it say 2x2 TD drives and 2 x4 TD drives please?

I looking forward to hearing from you!
Thanks3
Brian

Profile Pictures is off-lineSilver Member
23 May 2016 17:49
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I'd wonder 'why' first? I understand being careful with files before they are worked and delivered, then a copy on a drive and a blu-ray will do for me as back up, but all those drives (assumedly non ssd or m2?) sounds like a lot of clutter to hold lots of clutter before eventually going wrong anyway.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
24 May 2016 02:39
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from profilepictures
I'd wonder 'why' first? I understand being careful with files before they are worked and delivered, then a copy on a drive and a blu-ray will do for me as back up, but all those drives (assumedly non ssd or m2?) sounds like a lot of clutter to hold lots of clutter before eventually going wrong anyway.

A NAS drive is NOT for backup, it's for 'live' storage (think of them like a mini server), you still need a backup strategy in place when you have one.

Anyway, there's plenty of them nowadays and they all do what they say on the tin but I'd recommend a Qnap TS-431 as I've recently got one in work and its performance is superb compared to my Netgear one at home (it easily sustains 50+ MB/s on large multi GB transfers) and can accept USB drives plugged into it too (and transfer on/off them without a PC's intervention).  It's also got a really nice interface too (though it needed a live web-connection when setting up initially)

As for putting any old disks in there I'm not sure.  It may support them as a JBOD configuration but certainly not with any striping, mirroring or parity.  Personally I'd only consider buying all of the same drive type & capacity (and dedicated NAS drives at that) to reduce any potential discrepancies in the setup when it comes to formatting/error checking etc.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Tim is a moderatorPlatinum Member
24 May 2016 07:16
Tim
Model
Tim
East Sussex
Brighton

Hi Brian,

Regarding the hard drives, what configuration were you thinking of for the 2x 2TB and 2x 4TB drives within a 4 bay NAS? I presume you were thinking of a RAID configuration for redundancy or are you not too sure yet?

As RedChecker said above, consider buying the same make and model of disks so if you do go with 2x 2TB make sure each 2TB disk is the same, like wise for the 2x 4TB drives. This can help with the performance within a NAS and RAID configuration. Plus nowadays each manufacturer has disks designed for NAS operation.

Tim.
many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

Profile Pictures is off-lineSilver Member
24 May 2016 08:45
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Ah, my mistake then. So what are we talking about? Like having extra scratch disk capacity or just storing loads of stuff to access as and when required? I'm still thinking that ssd and more recently the M2 memory I've tried has made a huge difference to all the relevant photo functions I need.

Dave Beasley is off-line
24 May 2016 09:46
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Western Digital my book EX2 with WD Red disks.

Laurence Power is off-line
24 May 2016 13:25
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

I'm afraid I will contradict most of you, I do use NAS units, originally I used a 2 bay unit running RAID 1 (mirroring the drives), this backed up a stand alone usb external drive. I now use 2, my original unit now has 2 6tb drives still mirroring and a second 5 bay unit running RAID 5 with 5 3 TB drives giving me redundancy in the event of any one drive failing.

Having 2 2tb and 2 4tb drives suggests to me RAID 10, striping between the drives of unequal size with mirroring between the other set, thus one should get a decent speed with a total capacity of 6tb
Laurence J. Power

24 May 2016 13:46
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from profilepictures
Ah, my mistake then. So what are we talking about? Like having extra scratch disk capacity or just storing loads of stuff to access as and when required? I'm still thinking that ssd and more recently the M2 memory I've tried has made a huge difference to all the relevant photo functions I need.

Like I said, think of them as a mini fileserver of sorts on a network.  They provide the basic funtionality of a server (ie. sharing drives across a network) without the cost and admin overhead of a 'proper' server.  So yes, it's a way of simply storing massive amounts of files but without tying them to a single machine (handy if you have multiple PCs or simply want to keep your PC admin/configuration to a minimum).

Yes, for local scratch storage, technologies like M2 are the way to go
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

24 May 2016 13:57
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from LaurenceJPower
I'm afraid I will contradict most of you, I do use NAS units, originally I used a 2 bay unit running RAID 1 (mirroring the drives), this backed up a stand alone usb external drive. I now use 2, my original unit now has 2 6tb drives still mirroring and a second 5 bay unit running RAID 5 with 5 3 TB drives giving me redundancy in the event of any one drive failing. Having 2 2tb and 2 4tb drives suggests to me RAID 10, striping between the drives of unequal size with mirroring between the other set, thus one should get a decent speed with a total capacity of 6tb

While various sizes and types of drives could work, it's somewhat messy and introducing parity can present its own problems when it comes to drive restoration. 

It also implies that one is wanting to use a collection of acquired / previously used drives (likely desktop drives) rather than buying new (NAS based) ones for the task at hand.  Not advisable IMO as not only do desktop drives run hotter/faster/higher power consumption than NAS drives but their MTBF and Workload Rate Limit are much lower too and thus a more risky option if data integrity / lack of downtime is important.

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
27 May 2016 14:09
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Thank you all for the feed back it a great help!:-)

Brian

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Chelsea_farley12 Kimmikitsch viennaplumplove
AndiCallen cliffc darimages duncanjames duncanpritchard grahamsphotography high_octane Ian_Wilson Iconoclast lysander Rhadamanthus Rumpofsteelskin Valdefernce Zakwindsor