model release---yes again ! please read on

Andy is off-line
15 June 2016 10:37
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

So,  i have spoken with another photographer who has also had this issue and i know it is regularly brought up on forums, and like others i have been burned before with "Removal requests" at a later date from models despite a signed release and having done it for the sake of peace and quiet i want some opinions from photographers and especially models on a thought i had

to give some background i have had a model in the past state that "even though she signed a release she would deny it was her signature anyway if i did'nt remove her images 
so as a solution what do you think about having a model state on video (most cameras are video equiped these days) at the start of the shoot/ memory card that she has read the terms on the release understands and accepts them, then video them signing the release at the time and also video the release as well ?

So thoughts from both sides, if i was a pro model i don't think i'd have any issue with this but thats just my opinion,  i rarely shoot these days but that makes it worse when i get asked to remove any images
lets get shootin

15 June 2016 11:36
wiltshiretog
Photographer

Ask them to bring two forms of Id to the shoot,one that will verify her signature,and photograph that document,if you sign a model release with me,and i post images,then you ask me to remove,it ain't going to happen,end of
It's all in the detail

Andy is off-line
15 June 2016 13:30
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Quote from wiltshiretog
Ask them to bring two forms of Id to the shoot,one that will verify her signature,and photograph that document,if you sign a model release with me,and i post images,then you ask me to remove,it ain't going to happen,end of

yep, good shout.

lets get shootin

Aegean is off-lineSilver Member
17 June 2016 13:58
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

Quote from wiltshiretog

Definitely. I always have a photo of the model holding her photo-ID by her face to prove she was who she says she was. If I have paid for a model then I will not remove her images without being recompensed for the cost of the shoot and return of her fees.

Photography is part of my business and as such I expect models to behave in a businesslike manner.

www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

click_gotcha is off-line
18 June 2016 17:48
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Model releases are not a legal requirement in the UK, unless you are using the images to defame the model she/he has no grounds for any legal recourse.

Millzy82 is off-line
19 June 2016 08:31
Millzy82
Photographer
Millzy82
Hertfordshire

Quote from click_gotcha
Model releases are not a legal requirement in the UK, unless you are using the images to defame the model she/he has no grounds for any legal recourse.

Indeed they're not a requirement but they're a good fallback in the event of a dispute. There doesn't need to be malicious intent involved with the images being published for a model release to be handy.

If a model comes back to a photographer asking/demanding that the images be taken down, the photographer can cite the release showing that the model waived her right to make such a request so the model's case is void.

With any content I have any intention of publishing, I usually tell the model in advance of the shoot that I'll ask for them to read and sign a model release and provide government issued ID.

AGS is off-line
19 June 2016 08:50
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Yup, shot of the model holding her age card and signed release is the way forward. They do video interviews at the end of stuff like 'kink university' or 'sexually broken' - so that's iron clad, just depends how scared you are or how stringent you want to be about it I guess; it's just as valid, bit extreme for modest photography, but yes, just as valid.

Like you, i've been burned, that's when I learned to do the above. I have Amazing shots just sat on my hard drive gathering dust that probably won't see the light of day till I die - after that, the angry boyfriend or hubby can't 'kill me' anyway. They can either ensure the images are deleted by buying the copyrights and returning the fees, or they can just do what in my mind is a temporary takedown request... there's no guarantee the images can be hacked out of your pc or appear eventually if you hold on to them. What if is a big thing on the net, what if 50 people downloaded the image? then post it elsewhere - it's out, the end all they are doing is damage control. What if someone uses it on say, a book cover ! and they see it before you do - yes you could sue, and then they will beg you to - will you wipe your hands of it? or sue anyway and choose not to share... they asked you to ignore the 'contract / agreement'. What if it's been added to one of those web archiving sites?

Takedowns achieve very little in the long run. Only way to be sure... don't take off your clothes in front of a camera in the first place.

click_gotcha is off-line
19 June 2016 08:52
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

They're handy to have but have no legal status in the UK.   A model can't just demand you take her photos down, they are your images, not the model's.

AGS is off-line
19 June 2016 09:13
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Also worth noting, a 'real' model (and as long as the pictures aren't frankly shiiiiiit)... will NEVER ask for a takedown. Free-loaders who SAY they 'want' to be a model, and do one shoot tf (new profile with 5 selfies they don't care about), probably will - especially if the goal is to take the photographer for a ride instead of actually paying for their time and skill to achieve the same images, it's a classic scam.

Harvey Gordon is off-line
19 June 2016 17:54
ziggypot
Photographer
ziggypot
London

Quote from click_gotcha

I aggree

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin davenport dillon1993 pinklilly
AaronKent cgwebster Chazablake cps dby47 guitarman jccj1 jdunvillephotography Mwphotos philippahh sammylhel stevegosh studio17 Visions11 xcellent