Reminder Secure

New models - no experience - Professional Status - Fashion only - Paid only?

Street Model is off-line
20 June 2016 16:17
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

Am I being overly critical, or do some models come on here with totally unrealistic ideas of what to expect?
It could be Lupus.... It is NEVER Lupus!!

w4pictures is off-line
20 June 2016 17:14
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

As with most places, there's wheat and there's chaff. You just need to know which you're looking at.

Street Model is off-line
20 June 2016 17:22
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

I just wonder if they seriously expect that photographers will be lining up to book them - with no pro photos, no experience, and a desire to shoot fashion only - and in many cases oversized fashion...

Is there a 'what you should know before you sign up' section for new models?

Profile Pictures is off-line
20 June 2016 19:43
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

No more unrealistic than some photographers I'd suggest, experienced pro's with a portfolio full of snapshots for instance.

Street Model is off-line
20 June 2016 21:32
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
Essex
Upminster / All UK

I love this place for comments like that last one. Completely irrelevant, avoids the point of the question totally, but a good opportunity to poke at someone.

Maybe you would like to make a relevant comment about the question? How do you feel about new models coming on a site asking for money when they have no experience, no portfolio and have never modelled before?

Profile Pictures is off-line
21 June 2016 01:43
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I think its totally relevant and an opportunity for you to reflect on how you might be perceived in the same context as those models you're trying to poke a finger at.

A model without experience or portfolio in fact does stand a good chance of being paid if her look/wardrobe/dance abilty etc appeals. There's nothing unexpected about that and never has been. The concept of having to be humble or work through some kind of apprenticeship including TF and low rates in order to allow every berk with a camera their entitlement to a shop before eventually being snapped up by the fashion or film world, is a bad photographers fantasy. Really excellent potential models just need to walk into an agency appointment to be employed.

So, you feeling some kind or righteous indignation, while proving pictorially that you have little more than a very average hobbyist to offer, might seem like a dig. One you're pretty much asking for too.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 June 2016 03:07
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from profilepictures
I think its totally relevant and an opportunity for you to reflect on how you might be perceived in the same context as those models you're trying to poke a finger at. 

^ This
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Havoc is off-line
21 June 2016 04:45
Havocphotography
Photographer
Havocphotography
East Sussex
Brighton

PP is 100% right, sorry OP, but you have (at least) 8 years experience but your port... well. And here you are criticing models for acting as more than they are. Pot, kettle.

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
21 June 2016 05:55
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from StreetModel
Am I being overly critical, or do some models come on here with totally unrealistic ideas of what to expect?

If a model has the right looks for the shoot, has a good attittude and is happy with the subject matter, then I'll consider them for the shoot. I don't disregard them just because they're inexperienced. In fact, content featuring a new model sometimes has a premium in bankability.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

AGS is off-line
21 June 2016 06:34
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

The harder I have to work, the less they are going to earn

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
GeorgiaEmilyAustin Katreena
andrewf azurphotos Cheshunt83 eosfan firsttake HarishPadalia Ladiesman Modelboutique mrdl NigelAdams PhilStorm psn rcimages rscott360 Scottda Skystudio spiritofwales Steveh32 talldave68 westend_portfolios Zuiko zzdigital