Reminder Secure

New models - no experience - Professional Status - Fashion only - Paid only?

AGS is off-line
06 July 2016 12:12
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Nope... i've seen models destroy photographers on social media for even the most insignificant of reasons... rep, gone. Spinboard to fame, depends who's viewing your public profile. Financial disaster - depends if you get addicted, you could ride headlong into that one if you have no control... most people do though. I just wish both sides were valued equally.

RKD Photographic is off-line
29 July 2016 10:42
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Quote from profilepictures
I think its totally relevant and an opportunity for you to reflect on how you might be perceived in the same context as those models you're trying to poke a finger at. A model without experience or portfolio in fact does stand a good chance of being paid if her look/wardrobe/dance abilty etc appeals. There's nothing unexpected about that and never has been. The concept of having to be humble or work through some kind of apprenticeship including TF and low rates in order to allow every berk with a camera their entitlement to a shop before eventually being snapped up by the fashion or film world, is a bad photographers fantasy. Really excellent potential models just need to walk into an agency appointment to be employed. So, you feeling some kind or righteous indignation, while proving pictorially that you have little more than a very average hobbyist to offer, might seem like a dig. One you're pretty much asking for too.

Pretty much... Some girls can model right out of the box while some models with XX years' experience seem a bit wooden when you work with them - some maintain a fresh approach, but a lot of them seem to go through the motions...
Likewise, some photographers seem to confuse the time they've owned a camera for 'experience'... All those words on our profiles mean nothing if the images don't come up to scratch.
"When I hold a camera, I know no fear..." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Paul Riddell is off-line
15 September 2016 07:47
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

The very first and very least thing they need is proper professional photos.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
15 September 2016 12:14
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from riddell
The very first and very least thing they need is proper professional photos.

Why?
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 September 2016 02:49
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from redbaron
Why?

+1

Doesn't matter whether they're professional studio shots, or selfies in the bedroom, as long as they're clear they'll be good enough for most who frequent this site.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

GEORGE RICHARDSON is off-linePlatinum Member
17 September 2016 05:28
tabloid1
Photographer

Middlesex
LONDON

We pay model fees all the time to the right person. (new or not).

diipii is off-line
21 September 2016 11:10
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Having experience is irrelevant. It's all down to how photogenic the model is. Great looking models should charge from day one. Photographers should pay from day one to protect ownership and control of their work.
It only happens all the time.

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
21 September 2016 15:25
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from diipii
Photographers should pay from day one to protect ownership and control of their work.

Photographers (in  Great Britain and Northern Ireland) need to pay nothing whatsoever to anybody "to protect ownership and control of their work" as their ownership and control is enshrined in law, and has been for 28 years; however I acknowledge photographers might need to pay court and solicitors' fees to seek recompense from those who break or ignore the law on ownership of images.
Bob

diipii is off-line
13 October 2016 05:23
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Quote from StreetModel
I love this place for comments like that last one. Completely irrelevant, avoids the point of the question totally, but a good opportunity to poke at someone.

Maybe you would like to make a relevant comment about the question? How do you feel about new models coming on a site asking for money when they have no experience, no portfolio and have never modelled before?

Discussions often take a point and enlarge it making the discussion more valuable. It's called adult conversation.

"a good opportunity to poke at someone." Just like you're doing.

Back at the ranch..I always pay models. I wish to retain complete control of my work and don't want to see it on the net under someone else's name. It has happened and it's why my portfilio is small, hasn't changed in the age of a pig and contains only work to validate my presence here.

Models deserve something for their time and expense unless it's a mutually convenient collaboration.

Generally speaking there is always a male-club atmosphere about these portfolio hosting sites that reeks of misplaced smugness that I find repugnant. It's totally irrelevant to good photography, spawns a meanness of spirit towards models and does nothing to enhance anyone's reputation as a photographer or a person.

If you care about your photography and not your male ego pay up.

It only happens all the time.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
FirstLifePhotography GYMSTAR Photojoe670 traius zbojan