Paul Hodson is off-line
17 July 2016 09:00
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from exuphoto
Conventinally, I'd say that the 85mm f1.8 would be the next step for portraits... ... But if you feel that the 50mm is getting 'too close' on your crop sensor, then it won't do you good. So my recommendation would be - 1. Work on your interpersonal skills (not saying yours aren't good, only that it tends to dictate outcome more than the lens you pick...) 2. Have a look at the 35mm or even 24mm - that'll give you some more space in the frame

Depends if he means he is too close to the subject or not........
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

exuphoto is off-line
17 July 2016 13:17
exuphoto
Photographer

London

Quote from mph
Depends if he means he is too close to the subject or not........

True... He said "it" gets up to close... which I, upon reflection, suppose means that the portraits are too tightly cropped (and too much blemishes visible *S*). So, I'll still maintain 24/35 to get some distance.
Or, do the opposite of F. Kappa; get FURTHER away from the subject.
Or, and I'm not joking, put a thin stocking over the 50mm 1.8 and shoot 'softer smooth portraits"

Paul Jones is off-line
17 July 2016 15:11
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from exuphoto
Or, do the opposite of F. Kappa; get FURTHER away from the subject.......

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."
Robert Capa

www.PaulJones.org

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment Hazelstephens lawrenceadanion SuzyMonty
colinpierce D_H_P david1500 dorrian Fluffypup FotoAuto Hotdrj HowardJ john_at_tina_spice Kphoto NigelAdams Phiesta1 Pictureimage Porlus Puremoods robsloane sammylhel siwalters smooth_image Snooper911 Steveh32 StuartCollinsPhoto studio1910 vicpics