DVD truble

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
20 July 2016 08:25
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi all
I hope some can help me please! I have some DVD with images on I have burnt on my PC and some are show blank and not dater on them some are saying some images are corrupted and try again!

Is there any way I can get the images off the DVD please?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Brian

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 July 2016 08:55
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Try different drives if you can as some may have better luck (I suspect tolerances on the lasers may be the issue) but beyond that it's likely disc corruption that's unrecoverable (possibly due to poor burning in the first place).  Also avoid laptop-style drives like the plague, they're incredibly unreliable.

CD/DVD/BR discs can be incredibly fussy and care needs to be used in burning them (I use low to mid- recording speeds and only trust TDK/Maxell discs, all other brands seem hit/miss in my experience). I also always record two of every disc for archive purposes in case of scratches, disc rot etc.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
20 July 2016 20:45
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Agree with the above I'm afraid, once files are corrupt on a CD/DVD/Blu-ray, they can be almost impossible to recover. As stated above, always use the slowest recording speed possible for your media. Another vote here for TDK, I've also had zero failures with Verbatim +R media (I use Verbatim for 4.7GB discs & TDK for 8.5GB and 25GB blu-ray).

I've also in the past had trouble with Lite-on and Ricoh drives, and now only use Pioneer for my needs (DVD & Blu-ray)

21 July 2016 02:29
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from EllessePhotography
 I've also had zero failures with Verbatim +R media

I've had nothing but failures with Verbatim discs (it's odd considering people swear by them).  I suspect it may vary from drive-to-drive with which media works best, perhaps a tolerance issue with laser intensity or something that differs between manufacturers.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

21 July 2016 06:03
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Quote from RedChecker
I've had nothing but failures with Verbatim discs (it's odd considering people swear by them).  I suspect it may vary from drive-to-drive with which media works best, perhaps a tolerance issue with laser intensity or something that differs between manufacturers.

...and that is why I only use Pioneer drives.... Also, were you using +R or -R media (I must admit that I don't like the -R media)

At the moment I have the following

Pioneer DVDRW-DVR-221L
Pioneer BDRW-BDR-207
Pioneer BDR-XS05J (quad layer slot loading usb 3.0 external - had to source from japan)
(I should imagine all these have been updated since I purchased them)

I cannot remember the last time I had a failure using the any of the above drives, with any of the media mentioned above.  I recently came across a couple of boxes of written Verbatim's (mixed media of music, photo's and video) that had been stored in the attic for just over 5 years.  Looking at a random selection, every one of them was accessed perfectly.

21 July 2016 07:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from EllessePhotography
...and that is why I only use Pioneer drives.... Also, were you using +R or -R media (I must admit that I don't like the -R media)

Always +R  (I too have found -R to be fussy, and have never had any luck with -RW on both CD and DVD).

I used to use Plextor drives which were never cheap and regarded as the best years ago.  Now tend to just buy LG drives as there's not much choice anymore.  The only recent gripes I've had was a USB-powered Samsung BluRay drive that's packed in after a year or two (and only 3/4 BR discs burned), but that's common in my experience of laptop-style drives, they're just very poorly built.

Other than a few very early CD-ROMs I burned about 20+ years ago on cheaper media I've not had any problems with data when it's actually succeeded in burning it in the first place (I always use the verify feature in Nero).

21 July 2016 08:31
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Quote from RedChecker
Always +R  (I too have found -R to be fussy, and have never had any luck with -RW on both CD and DVD).

I used to use Plextor drives which were never cheap and regarded as the best years ago.  Now tend to just buy LG drives as there's not much choice anymore..

Never used Plextor, but do agree - choice is very limited now due to VERY low unit prices (you can ger a dvd-writer for under £12, and blu-ray for £50) 

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
27 July 2016 06:13
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi all
Thanks for the feed back it a help!

I do use TDK and Sony disk as well as Fuji! I do have 2 DVD player i tried them in and i do have other to try them on!

Thnak again for all your help!
Brian

AGS is off-line
27 July 2016 07:55
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

I've rescued photos from disc rot before, you always lose a few though. The BIG question is, are the files on the disc individual files (many will be recoverable providing warping / rot etc isn't too bad)... or did you buy a single .IMG (cue / bin) archive; because if it's the latter, and you have disc issues, the recovered file won't checksum and it's toast.

I also used to burn 2 copies, but drives are so cheap now I just use hard drives as backups (still burn 2), and store them in a drive friendly (foam passing / antistatic bags etc) location free from dust, magnetism, jarring or drops etc.

HowardJ is off-line
27 July 2016 15:36
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Put the disk back in the drive you wrote to it from and see if it can read it.

37 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa caz0054 Exoticangel julia1984 Paris ryansd Saphirerox Stacey27
antoinewynn bengie BOBREEVES CPI Davetse dby47 djb1 Dmcphotos dorrian eosfan gadzooks2 Hioctane jdunvillephotography JohnnyD kimsandman2 Ladiesman michael_cameraman Njsphotography numb paulford Photojames43 Puremoods redbaron redtail Rhadamanthus RupertRudd star_shots steveh32 studio17