A matter of some delicacy

RKD Photographic is off-line
30 July 2016 05:36
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

A model on my WTWW list contacted me last month after we bumped into each other at a local studio asking for a shoot - paid of course.To be honest, I didn't recognise her and had to check her port when I got home - that's not unusual though... Many models only bear a passing resemblance to their images and although her fees are at the higher end of the scale, judging by the majority of her port images, she's worth the money.
Unfortunately, in person she's not quite as lithe as her earlier images suggest and a recent couple of uploads to her port seem to confirm that she's been seriously neglecting her gym membership in preference for beer and sausage festivals. To be brutal, she's gone a bit podgy, most noticably around the waist hips and thighs. 
So how do you tell a model she's no longer worth the fees she's charging? Do you offer a lower rate...?  Or do you just do as I did and lie, pleading poverty and work schedules as the reason you no longer want to shoot her? 
"When I hold a camera, I know no fear..." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
30 July 2016 07:04
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Maybe a mix between a lie and some home truths, tactfully put tho.Models have thick skins,some more than most....

30 July 2016 07:53
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Quote from xtiggerx
Maybe a mix between a lie and some home truths, tactfully put tho.Models have thick skins,some more than most....

Hmmm... I have to say that's the polar opposite of my experience... Telling any woman she's getting a 'bit bulgy' can be a life-threatening experience... With a model? If you're lucky you'll just get blocked and FB-flamed... 

w4pictures is off-line
30 July 2016 13:33
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Time to bite the bullet, dig out the body armour, take a deep breath and say, "Looking at your profile, you've become a bit...sort of...more...erm..yes, I'd love to shoot and your rate is fine".

KevinJS is off-lineGold Member
30 July 2016 15:11
KevinJS
Photographer

London
London

Hi,
Just explain that you don't shot Roly Poly, after that she will return to the gym and all will be fine LOL
I want to die in my sleep, like my grandather. Not screaming like his passengers

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
30 July 2016 15:50
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Bit of a tricky one, especially if one is a reasonably 'nice' person who doesn't want to, perhaps, really cause a lot of upset to someone.
However, that said, one suspects a touch of 'denial' from the model, most women, imho/experience are EXTREMELY aware of how they look, and if she's a model of any practice will be sensitive to how a couple of kilos would affect her.

Regarding the 'not quite as lithe' aspect I had an experience booking a model, specified needing to have dance/gymnastic experience, ok strictly to the 'letter of the law" I didn't say it had to be current! She 'admitted' it was a while since she had done much training, though that had long been apparent by the poses she, couldn't manage! Being a softy I made the best of it and changed the shoot to something different.

Maybe a 'chicken' way out but I prefer the term 'pragmatic' why get into a lot of potential argument/friction when just saying money is a bit tight and not able to do a shoot just now.

30 July 2016 17:37
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Yeah... That's what I thought... Ruffty-tuffty photographers scared sh**less by (not so) sylph-like girls... Lol

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
31 July 2016 05:47
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from arkady001
So how do you tell a model she's no longer worth the fees she's charging? 

You don't. You do the decent thing and take one on the chin for the team.
Go ahead with the shoot and post several shots on your profile so others can see exactly what to expect.

31 July 2016 06:01
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Quote from Bob
You don't. You do the decent thing and take one on the chin for the team.
Go ahead with the shoot and post several shots on your profile so others can see exactly what to expect.

Screw that... Lol I'd rather use a Canon... 

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
31 July 2016 09:53
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Posting in General Chat takes care of all your problems.

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexa_red alishaa Cutesick Kazab3 paige_hendrix
AaronKent Andy_B antoinewynn bdj2454 Blue_Hummingbird Davelefant digitalphotos dorrian Glam2K guitarman jdunvillephotography kimsandman2 Kjoservices mlp orca_photography peteb philippahh PhilStorm photon RUPERT skymouse southernsnapper squirty standrewsman stevegosh steveh32 Stuh teo