04 August 2016 04:43
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Interesting article on F-Stoppers... 
https://fstoppers.com/originals/what-lens-should-i-bring-me-140752

Looking at images from when I used zooms the table of focal lengths used mirrors my own experience: 95% of my images were taken at the two extremes -  either 24mm or 70mm in the case if the 24-70 and 70mm or 200mm in the case of my 70-200 - with only a handful at other focal lengths. It was one of the deciding factors that influenced my decision to work more with primes: my 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm lenses combined still weighing less than my 24-70 and 70-200 was another. 
"When I hold a camera, I know no fear..." - Alfred Eisenstadt

04 August 2016 06:10
paule
Photographer

I think it depends on the subject you are shooting... & location.

I mainly shoot weddings and the flexibility of my 24-70 is invaluable. It's too short by 15mm & not wide enough by 10mm.. however it is the Swiss Army Lens of choice because for the majority of scenes it can get the job done.

I used 35mm & 85mm lenses on two bodies and I can get away with it. Indeed they are two of my backup lenses & two lenses I put on when I'm more able to take my time.

Zooms just give flexibility, one moment I'm shooting a portrait: 50mm-70 mm next I'm being asked to do a 10-20 person impromptu group photo with very little space.. 24mm usually is enough.

I like primes however sometimes I just don't have control over where I can stand & so a compromise is required.

Lenses are just tools to get the job done.

RKD Photographic is off-line
04 August 2016 06:48
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Quote from paule
I think it depends on the subject you are shooting... & location. I mainly shoot weddings and the flexibility of my 24-70 is invaluable. It's too short by 15mm & not wide enough by 10mm.. however it is the Swiss Army Lens of choice because for the majority of scenes it can get the job done. I used 35mm & 85mm lenses on two bodies and I can get away with it. Indeed they are two of my backup lenses & two lenses I put on when I'm more able to take my time. Zooms just give flexibility, one moment I'm shooting a portrait: 50mm-70 mm next I'm being asked to do a 10-20 person impromptu group photo with very little space.. 24mm usually is enough. I like primes however sometimes I just don't have control over where I can stand & so a compromise is required. Lenses are just tools to get the job done.

Do you shoot weddings when you go travelling? 
This isn't about 'work' - I carried 3 bodies and up to 8 lenses and 5 speedlights on various jobs - but for general days out and travelling. 

"When I hold a camera, I know no fear..." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
04 August 2016 07:02
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

24-70 and 100-400 seem to cover most of what I need for holidays/travel, though I'd also take a 16-40 when I get ever around to buying one.

If travelling was my thing and I did it more regularly then I'd consider one of Canon's 35-350 lenses to replace the 24-70 and 100-400.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

04 August 2016 09:01
paule
Photographer

as I said.. depends on the subject you are shooting... & location.

As for travel, easy: Olympus Stylus 1s - 28-300 f/2.8 fits in my pocket. & can double focal length with touch of a button.. images are fine for small prints & web use.

Ashley Mark Pomeroy is off-line
28 August 2016 12:48
ayearepee
Photographer
ayearepee
Wiltshire
Salisbury

The last time I went on holiday I took an Olympus Mju II and a big bag'o'film. The MjuII has a 35mm f/2.8. It's small enough to hide in a palm. In the US it was sold as the Stylus Epic. Overall I loved it to bits, although I love my XA even more, because the viewfinder is much better. My conclusion is that Weegee's advice about "f8 and being there" is sound. There are more important things to worry about than the lens. A 16-35mm f/2.8 or equivalent is enough unless you're going on holiday specifically to take photographs of birds or tiny insects or timelapse videos of stars. Looking through the comments on that blog post I see a lot of people who have other things to worry about than their choice of lens.

Over the last few years I've generally taken two different cameras on holiday, so that I don't get bored. Off the top of my head I have taken - in no particular order, and obviously not at the same time - a Mamiya C33, an Olympus Pen FT, a Mamiya 645 1000s, a Pen F compact, a Holga, a Canon 5D MkII, a Yashica Mat, an infrared-modified 10D, an old Ricoh rangefinder, an XA, an OM1. One thing linking them is that the lenses were almost always in the 20-40mm range, accounting for the different film/sensor formats (e.g. the medium format bodies had 65-75mm lenses, but the format is larger). Something in my heart responds to the 6x6 format, but on a pragmatic level my favourite of all those cameras is either the Pen FT or the XA.

The thought of taking a set of lenses doesn't appeal to me - although it's a personal choice. I'd rather take the shot and move on, accepting that there will always be images you cannot capture this time. One thing, though. It would be nice if there was an APS-C only 17mm f/1.2 or f/1.4. All these many many years later there still isn't a good compact fast wide prime for APS, whatever-the-system (although ironically there are several compact fast wide Micro Four Thirds primes).

Nick Skinner is off-line
30 August 2016 06:54
snapper47
Photographer

West Sussex
Horsham

Since I retired I tend to just take a 6D with 24-105 L lens and the 40mm pancake. Such a change from when I was working, on long holiday I may just throw my 200mm f2.8 or 35-350 into a suitcase, but they seldom get used. I used to follow the rule that if it wasn't on the camera it was to late, which was very true for the reportage and theatre work I used to do. However I am determined to get my ancient Horizont out of the cupboard, everything just appears so different using that and I will scan the negs into laptop with my Epson V700. I have been scanning a lot of my old negs lately and I realise how much I preferred shooting with film to digital.

JSP is onlinePlatinum Member
30 August 2016 13:11
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

I've just come back from a weekend in Lincolnshire. I found my little 50mm & 85mm portrait lens adequate. Although I was annoyed with myself for not taking my pen..... The one for cleaning my lenses when I get a stubborn smudge on the lens.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Paul Hodson is off-line
30 August 2016 14:17
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Ladiesman
Although I was annoyed with myself for not taking my pen..... The one for cleaning my lenses when I get a stubborn smudge on the lens.

What are handkerchiefs for?
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

JSP is onlinePlatinum Member
30 August 2016 18:01
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from mph
What are handkerchiefs for?

Blowing your nose.

Whereas my pen has carbon on the end, and therefore is ideal for getting rid of stubborn marks on your best lens. frown

Small and light very handy for keeping in your travel bag. cheeky
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa danixhale Dolphin Lushlolly Pinklilly tanyacox
abouncer azurphotos barrysmiles Blancho david1500 diphoto Essexjohn fannmore FlyingShot GlasgowPhotographer Hioctane ism1967 James7799 just_lez Kjoservices KrissB Ladiesman liteangle orca_photography philippahh Skystudio sniffer tonyk1
harbourstudio