What sizee HD do use in a NAS box

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
28 August 2016 12:19
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi All

I looking into getting a NAS box! I need be help with some information please? I look at a 4 bay box.

1] Do you down load your images strait onto your NAS box please?

2] So far i have about 7TB off images! What size hard dish should i go for 2TB, 3TG or 4TB?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regard

Brian

KHV is off-line
28 August 2016 17:08
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

It's entirely up to you Brian but I have been looking at My Cloud EX2100 12TB but if you mean an empty box and need hard-drives to fill them, I use WD 3TB and my backup solution is very simple, in that I have two caddies, so just slot them in, and away I go.

Aegean is off-lineSilver Member
28 August 2016 17:34
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

Are you looking to work as RAID 0 (all drives used to simulate a single large disk), RAID 1 ( 2 pairs of drives mirrored) or RAiD 5 (4 drives sharing the data with redundancy = approx 3/4 the total combined disk capacities) or JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks i.e. 4 individually named drives)?
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

Star Shots is off-lineSilver Member
01 September 2016 12:33
Star_Shots
Photographer
Star_Shots
Northumberland
Blyth

I use a Synology box with 4 x 4tb drives so 16tb in total. About 10tb is used. No redundancy set up as want so also have another backup of everything on smaller 1tb - 4tb external drives. Also have a Time Capsule that does constant backups. Depends how important the data is to you.

Alta_Igor is off-line
02 September 2016 04:42
Alta_Igor
Photographer

London

I would use a 'WD red NAS 27/7'4TB drive. If you just use the NAS box as storage and they show up as independent drives then back up each drive with external USB drives [belt and braces approach] If you do this then there is no point in setting up RAID and loosing space [4tb on RAID5]. Your backup drives do not have to be expensive ones as they are not being consistently on.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
02 September 2016 07:27
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Seagate now have 10GB drives on the market in case anyone's wondering, not cheap though but they're there if your needs require them.

I'd personally estimate your data needs for (say) the next three years (which is a decent enough approximation for the lifecycle of working/regular use drives and you'll likely be replacing them after such time). So if you shoot 2TB per year and have no immediate desire to change cameras (which will likely be higher pixel count) then you'll need at least 6TB spare.

Bear in mind that it's also a good idea to have mirrored (or partity) storage with NAS boxes so the array can be reconstructed in the event of a drive failure. A secondary backup (eg. external drive) is also recommended.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 September 2016 03:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Another thing worth mentioning... do double check on the NAS manufacturer's website for drive compatibility. When I bought mine there were certain NAS drives that were incompatible with the NAS box.

They also seem to publish a lot of firmware updates which improve drive compatibility and reliability, and as such it's the first thing that should be done (IMO) prior to formatting the drives and uploading data to them.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexa_red alishaa chosin Kazab3 paige_hendrix
AaronKent Andy_B antoinewynn bdj2454 Blue_Hummingbird borninsheffield dby47 digitalphotos dorrian Glam2K guitarman jdunvillephotography kimsandman2 Kjoservices mlp orca_photography peteb philippahh PhilStorm RUPERT skymouse southernsnapper squirty standrewsman stevegosh steveh32 Stuh teo
chosin