Reminder Secure

What do you do when you're near the end?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Chris is off-line
18 September 2016 06:02
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

I have thought about this before but never seriously until now. When you think you maybe near the end of the photographic chapter in your life, and thinking of leaving the whole thing behind, what to do with all the images you have stored from all your shoots? It seems a shame to just throw the whole lot in the bin. Years of shoots, all for nothing. It would be nice if someone wanted them. I can't take any of it to my grave, it has to go somewhere. I feel I'm at a turning point. I feel like I'm at the end. Cameras can be just sold, but archives of unedited images?

Does anyone ever have anything planned for all your passed work? Are you giving it to someone or is it all being destroyed? This is something I can't put of much longer.

matt is a moderatorPlatinum Member
18 September 2016 10:17
matt
Peacemaker
matt
East Sussex
Brighton

If I were you I would back the images up on to a hard drive. You may change your mind at a later date and regret getting rid of all theimages
If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.

Chris is off-line
18 September 2016 12:52
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from matt
If I were you I would back the images up on to a hard drive. You may change your mind at a later date and regret getting rid of all theimages

Yes great idea thanks. Put it all on a hard drive, destroy the cd archives. I will do this.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
18 September 2016 15:15
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Why destroy the CD archives? They're probably more hardy than hard discs (or at the very least if the odd disc fails at least most of it will still be readable, when a hard disk goes the whole lot's as good as gone). Surely they won't take up much space in those plastic cake-boxes that CDs come in?

I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Derek Rowlands is off-line
18 September 2016 16:12
Dirkus
Photographer

Clwyd

Greetings

Donate them to a photographic museum or photo library, maybe pass on to a family member or photographer friend that may be able to make use of, or sell them, its a life times work, dam shame to destroy them, I would like the results of my work to be still appreciated long time after I've gone!!!!!! :-)

Have fun

Chris is off-line
19 September 2016 05:37
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from RedChecker
Why destroy the CD archives? They're probably more hardy than hard discs (or at the very least if the odd disc fails at least most of it will still be readable, when a hard disk goes the whole lot's as good as gone). Surely they won't take up much space in those plastic cake-boxes that CDs come in?

Ah but that's the thing, they do take up room. I have boxes taking up too much room on shelf space. Brings me back to the subject of what to do with them. I can't take them to my grave. At the end of the day, I actually get depressed knowing they're there, well mixed feelings really. Photography never got me to where I wanted to be, it's been a waste of time looking back at it all.

Chris is off-line
19 September 2016 05:48
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from Dirkus
Greetings Donate them to a photographic museum or photo library, maybe pass on to a family member or photographer friend that may be able to make use of, or sell them, its a life times work, dam shame to destroy them, I would like the results of my work to be still appreciated long time after I've gone!!!!!! :-) Have fun

No museum would want them, nor library. What sort of museum would have even my most favourite models, up on their walls, showing their bits off? Members of my family would throw them straight in the bin. They're all religious, and think everything around is obcene. Maybe the archives should be buried with me. That is quite a nice thought actually.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
19 September 2016 05:51
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Donate the discs to some religious charity as a time-capsule to be opened in (say) 10-20 years time (while the stuff might still be readable). The horror that may ensue !!
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Chris is off-line
19 September 2016 08:38
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

In 20 years time, we will probably have holographic tv, still images will be like the old faded black and white photos of our great grand parents in equivalence. Either that or this planet may be destroyed by then in a holy 3rd world war.

Preswylfa is off-line
19 September 2016 14:02
gwentman
Photographer
gwentman
Caerphilly
Blackwood

Quote from CCP
In 20 years time, we will probably have holographic tv, still images will be like the old faded black and white photos of our great grand parents in equivalence. Either that or this planet may be destroyed by then in a holy 3rd world war.

One out of three aint bad although we're only in the early stages.

Mike. :-(

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Essexjohn gshocker30