Nikon D810 or D750?

Paul Jones is off-line
12 October 2016 15:30
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

I'm currently considering moving up to a new Nikon and am torn between the D810 or D750.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from users of either - particularly with regard to the video capability and use for studio photography.

If you could choose either, which would you recommend?

Thanks
Paul
www.PaulJones.org

CGW is off-line
13 October 2016 08:30
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Might be worth looking here for some interresting dicsussions re. pros, cons and some caveats

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1021

I've had a brief play with the 750 but never had a chance to compare with the 810.

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
13 October 2016 11:19
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

I bought the Nikon D610 as a replacement for my aging Canon EOS 5D Mk II, - there was absolutely no comparison, the Nikon is SO much better. I would like to have bought an EOS 5D Mk III, but the cost was prohibitive being in excess of £2k, as was the Nikon D800/810. I saved myself some £400 going for the D610, and wasn't disappointed. One review described it as being probably the best value camera on the market, (at that time), & I simply can't fault it. Since then, things have moved on with the introduction of several new Canon models and Nikons' D750, - but look at the cost! So my point is, do you really need to spend as much as you will if you go for either of those two models? You might find the D610, (still a current model with a 24.3mp sensor), is more than capable for your needs, & save yourself some £400. I've invested more in my lenses, bodies come & go. I won't be buying a new body now for a few years, whatever new comes out. If money is no object and no great concern, go for the D810 for the pixel count. The D750 won't be noticeably different from the D610 IQ wise, but will cost you more as it's a newer model with some technical upgrades. If you decide not to go for the D810 for any reason, consider the D610 as against the D750.

Paul Jones is off-line
13 October 2016 13:14
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Thanks both.

Good replies. I hadn't considered the D610.

Cheers
Paul
www.PaulJones.org

Redimages is off-line
14 October 2016 09:14
paule
Photographer
paule
North Yorkshire

I've both the D810 (best camera I've ever owned or used) & D750..

D810 is the better camera in my view: 8000's v 4000's - not that I go that high often.
D810 ISO 64 v 100.. not a huge deal..
Sync Speed: D810 - 1/250 v 1/200 D750... just a bit of a pain again..
I prefer the D810 dials & buttons

D750 - hotshoe issue: https://fstoppers.com/originals/stop-fighting-hot-shoe-your-nikon-d750-110295

D750 pluses:

Cheaper, you could get the D750 + 85mm f/1.8G + 50mm f/1.8G for the price of the D810...
Weighs less.. and smaller size (too small can be an issue for some)
24mp more than enough for the majority of my images over the huge 36mp of the D810... obviously for key images I prefer the D810...
Tilt screen on the D750.. if that is your thing, it's ok but it's no where near as useful as the Fuji X-series tilt screen
DxO rates it's ISO performance higher though I use both in low light, churches, to 6400 and have no issues with either.

I like both though feel the D810 is the superior camera..

Paul Jones is off-line
15 October 2016 13:16
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Thanks Paul. I value your hands-on experience.

www.PaulJones.org

John Enger is off-line
17 October 2016 14:11
JohnEnger
Photographer
JohnEnger
Norway
Nannestad

If you can afford the D810 it's well worth the extra spendings.
I never owned a D750, but I borrowed one.

The D810 is sturdier, and more rugged.
It's got a better ISO range (oth up and down).
The higher ISO is way better (less noise) on the D810.
The D810 with the higher resolution is AWESOME for studio stills. (that's where I use mine the most).
The drawback on the D810 is the size of the images and post prod.
Also the continuous high runs the buffer full pretty fast, and only at 5 FPS.

Hope this helps a little.

John

Paul Jones is off-line
19 October 2016 16:29
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Thanks John.

www.PaulJones.org

Laurence Power is off-line
24 October 2016 16:13
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Re comparing to the D610, one of my guys had one, focussing is not it's strong point, too few points when used for rapid movement, may not worry you but I had to dump a load of shots.
Laurence J. Power

Paul Jones is off-line
27 October 2016 12:52
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Thanks Laurence. 
www.PaulJones.org

35 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Amyjane1991 apriluk bonni_Cuffs jes v_laing
63jian anexquisiteeye anochecer Blancho casell Chriscazza91 doughnut hughspictures4u humphries IanHighlander kemphotograph kimsandman2 Kjoservices lc8neal Lpphotografix MauricesImagery moritz78 mrdl orca_photography paddyg peteb RCBB rizzo73 rscott360 sammylhel siclews Steel_tattoo stufreeman vicpics
morriganh