Renault Cleo!

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
15 October 2016 03:50
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Right very off subject of modeling, See if anyone has any ideas, Sisters Cleo wont start turns over but won't run, Had computer hooked up to it not showing any faults on ignition system, We think it is an imobiliser fault. tried the usual and had a spark plug out and tested for a spark, None present, Also plug was dry ie no fuel seems to be getting to combustion chambers. Probably a trip to scrap yard is in order its an 04 plate so probably cost more to fix than what it is worth.

KT101 is off-line
15 October 2016 05:48
kt101
Photographer
kt101
Hertfordshire
Borehamwood

I know it sounds daft but have you tried locking and unlocking with the remote. They sometimes glitch up if opened too quickly.
Also check for red flashing imobiliser light on dash. If its either staying on or flashing, the vehicle is imobilised and will not start.
Other than that, if I remember correctly, there is a wiring fault with clio's down the back of the engine. Wipes out all ignition circuits and as the ignition circuits aren't working neither will the fuel pump.
If there are no faults coming up from the computer, it's got to be something simple but usually they are the hardset to find.

Good luck.
What do I know about photography..... I'm a mechanic/milkman/driver/dogsbody. etc. etc. etc.

15 October 2016 07:54
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Only ever locked or unlocked using remote, Engine management light is on though, Probably more of detecting unburnt fuel though as far as I can tell, Crankshaft sensor is a problem with the Cleo as far as some on seem to think.

Matthew G is off-line
16 October 2016 17:06
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Extremely off topic and I'm sure there are lots of better places on the net to post but I might just know the fault and the solution.... If it is a 1149cc 16V engine it is more than likely the wiring loom that goes through the bulkhead behind the engine. It was a common fault with them. You plug them in to diagnostic machines and they tell you all sorts of faults. To fix :....

Put your hand behind the engine when it is cold. It should fit. You'll be able to feel at the back of the engine a whole bunch of cables that are all going through to the car it's self. Grab hold of them and wiggle them around.... And hey presto the engine starts! It was caused by not having enough room for the 16 valves as opposed to 8 so the cable rubs on the hole in the bulkhead going through to behind the dashboard. I had the same on an earlier Twingo. Eventually they will need a new wiring loom which is a really quick job.... or it would be if the engine wasn't in the way! So eventually you'll have to bin the car but mine only ever did it once.

Good luck. Hope it does the trick. It might of course not be this at all but it;s worth five minutes to find out! And if it is it just goes to show that sometime it really is just a loose wire! :-)

Redimages is off-line
24 October 2016 12:08
paule
Photographer
paule
North Yorkshire

fuel pump..

When you prime the ignition - turn the key so all dash lights come on - but not so the starter motor turns the engine to start it... you should hear a little electronic whine.. that is the fuel pump priming to start.. if you don't hear it, the electrics to the pump may be faulty ( check fuse first ) then connectors... or just go straight to the next check below...

Take the fuel pipe off the injector inlet & crank it over ( no smoking while you do this & don't check using a candle ) if no fuel squirts out problem if further back & probably a new fuel pump..

** crickey mick.. it's quiet on the forums.. just noticed the date..

Bob is off-line
08 November 2016 05:35
BobWright
Photographer

Hampshire
Fareham

Maybe a little late, but it could be the crank sensor, I had an intermittent problem with this, you can see it attached on top of gearbox just spray a brake cleaner or similar through the small window in gearbox, you may have to move the air intake pipe a little, these are easy to replace if it is the problem and cost around a tenner, hope this helps.

12 November 2016 16:38
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Replaced crank sensor not solved problem, Although not tried what you have suggested, might give it a try.

Bob is off-line
13 November 2016 07:36
BobWright
Photographer

Hampshire
Fareham

Maybe it's the key, I replaced the battery in my wife's key and it would not start the car after just turned over but didn't start, Renault quoted £75 to reprogram the key so I got another non-programmed cut and it was fine, this was before sensor played up, only bug bear was one key for unlocking and one for starting, but wife didn't mind. There is a lot on the Clio forums about resetting key place in ignition press this press that juggle one eye from one socket to another (joke) but that did not solve anything but worth a try every car is different it seems. Good luck anyway.

34 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ChloeT chosin inversexpression lett66 MercedesScouse paige_hendrix rob452
ad360photo alt andyritchie bob claypaws cliffc david1500 diphoto doughnut Flipcourt GerryS2 gilespj hylander iestyn jyp Kjoservices modelimaging moritz78 Musicman peteb pixelking rayhaslam spiritofwales steveh32 Thunder_Photos timbham willysmb
chosin