Reminder Secure

Website designers

18 October 2016 14:03
wiltshiretog
Photographer

I am currently trying to build my own website,using Wordpress and i was wondering if anyone on here has used wordpress for site building,or if they know a better way.I have looked at the other ones like wix etc,but these won't be suitable for what i have in mind.I am looking at building a multimodel site,like the bigger sites online.with image sets etc.
Any of you more knowledgeable people point me in the right direction.
I have the site name and hosting setup,happy to pay for someone to help.
It's all in the detail

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
18 October 2016 15:44
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I should have thought half the photographers on here have wordpress sites. I have one for the business. Not quite sure what you mean by a multi-model site though. If you are talking something like Purestorm best of luck with that. Worpress is too vulnerable and does not offer the functionality needed. These sites are generally built from the ground up using php or aspx.

If you are talking about an adult site it serves if you know how to set it up right. Been there done that but there is a huge amount of work involved and the returns were pretty feeble compared to what I get spending the same time shooting people or their pets. Plus one slip up on keeping up with security patches and it will get hacked
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

KHV is off-line
18 October 2016 16:19
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

You talking about a CMS site ?

18 October 2016 16:54
wiltshiretog
Photographer

Thanks for the replies.

Yes i am talking about a cms site.
Redbaron,the site i am looking to make is similar to the big sites online.I do realise that there is a lot to learn and wordpress isnt the best way forward.I have built a small site using it just to get started.
Any tips on the best way to go about it.I know security will be a massive part of it.
It's all in the detail

Matthew G is off-line
18 October 2016 19:19
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from wiltshiretog
Thanks for the replies.

Yes i am talking about a cms site.
Redbaron,the site i am looking to make is similar to the big sites online.I do realise that there is a lot to learn and wordpress isnt the best way forward.I have built a small site using it just to get started.
Any tips on the best way to go about it.I know security will be a massive part of it.

Not the kind of reply you want to hear but unless you have 20k burning a hole in your pocket and then another 20 to 40k for getting traffic to it... forget it! If you have then just email Matt on here. He would be delighted to sell you an existing site that he has up and running alongside this. I think he wanted 45K for it all up and running.... so much potential. Comes with a great domain name too... :-)

19 October 2016 01:04
wiltshiretog
Photographer

Well i have offers to build a site for me for 1500 so....
It's all in the detail

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
19 October 2016 07:56
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from wiltshiretog
Well i have offers to build a site for me for 1500 so....

That is going to be a pretty basic site. I'm expecting my studio site to cost a lot more than that. Yes I could do another update myself but I can earn a damn sight more in the time it would take shooting client sessions.

If you are determined to match the likes of Purestorm using an off the shelf CMS system then I think you will find something like Joomla or Drupal a better option tp honest. They are more geared towards that type of site than Wordpress, which at the end of the day is just a blogging platform with dreams of grandure.

Joomla Community builder will keep you amused until you realise just what you are trying to achieve and why it is taking the likes of Matt here and James at NM so long simply to update an existing site
https://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension/clients-a-communities/communities/community-builder
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

19 October 2016 13:00
wiltshiretog
Photographer

Redbaron,thanks for the reply.
The site i am planning is nothing like Purestorm,totally different.It will feature image sets of models.So that will give you an idea.I know that £1500 is very very basic.It was what someone offered on Twitter,he showed me some of the sites he has built and they look ok.I would prefer to save the cash for shooting,and try and build something myself.
I thought wordpress was a CMS system?I have heard about the others,but not really looked into them,as i had read wordpress was the best (internet talk) The hosting i am using had an install wordpress button,so i did.
I realise i have much to learn,and i am in no hurry to get a site built and out there,security is my main concern,and i would eventually like it to be a monthly subscription site,so need to look at billing.
It's all a looooong way off.Just thought i would see if any of the more experienced among us had any tips.
It's all in the detail

Paul Jones is off-line
19 October 2016 16:36
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from wiltshiretog
I thought wordpress was a CMS system?

Wordpress is a CMS system. As is Joomla and Drupal.  CMS = Content Management System.

I built my site in Wordpress -  http://www.pauljones.org/  - using a free theme from - http://www.fabthemes.com/

Best regards
Paul

www.PaulJones.org

19 October 2016 17:11
wiltshiretog
Photographer

Nice site Paul
My problem is,i want site where i can post image sets of models like many of the subscription sites (onlytease,and similar) i dont know if i can do this using wordpress,or joomla.i know sites like onlytease will be purpose built,and without coding knowledge i have no idea where to start?
It's all in the detail

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Jenna84model mandymack Marielouise92 recycler
ad360photo admiralphotography bob cliffc Daveinsurrey david1500 digitalmood ellessephotography eosfan Essexjohn fannmore Ladiesman MauricesImagery Photochroma Photojoe670 rod_m99 roger forrester rscott360 RupertRudd SteveSJS55 whitepython