Website designers

Paul Riddell is off-line
24 October 2016 05:51
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

As others have said. There is no easy way around this. You need to write or get written a site from scratch.

Personally I'd use HTML / CSS, and throw in a bit of javascript if needed.

Many would swear by PHP.

Wordpress? Wix? No chance.

£1500 budget? Very, very tight. I bet they'll build x amount for you and soon start asking for more.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

GrahamWhite is off-lineSilver Member
24 October 2016 06:26
grahamwhite
Photographer
grahamwhite
Warwickshire
Leamington Spa

Hey Martin, as you know I'm in the same place as you, shooting loads of content but with no website yet

I am told that Model Centro is an easy way to get going, they handle all the payment processing and you update yourself, but they take a slice (25%?) of the revenue. That's better than the web-geek that offered to do it for 50%

Let me know if you get any joy?

Anyone tried Model Centro?

Graham

Facethelens is off-line
24 October 2016 11:45
wiltshiretog
Photographer
wiltshiretog
Wiltshire

Modelcentro is dump,more towards models than photographers,i am in no hurry for my site,i am just busy shooting stacks of content for when it launches,going to build it myself
It's all in the detail

NTN Photography is off-lineGold Member
28 October 2016 15:54
NTN_Photography
Photographer
NTN_Photography
London
East Dulwich

You could try "Squarespace", which is designed for photographers and one that I am seriously considering using when I am ready to produce my own website and its not expensive either.

Each photograph I take gives me the thrill of acheiving something great, (not there yet, but i'm working on.

Facethelens is off-line
29 October 2016 02:08
wiltshiretog
Photographer
wiltshiretog
Wiltshire

Quote from NTN_Photography
You could try "Squarespace", which is designed for photographers and one that I am seriously considering using when I am ready to produce my own website and its not expensive either.

That would be an idea,but my site is not for my photography,as in,it isn't a portfolio,it will be a paid subscription site
It's all in the detail

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
29 October 2016 05:44
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from wiltshiretog
That would be an idea,but my site is not for my photography,as in,it isn't a portfolio,it will be a paid subscription site

Martin, as presumably from your comments you are not an experienced web developer I suspect you are going to have to shell out a few thousand quid to somebody who is in that business to create and maintain a commercial paysite for you. It is also worth bearing in mind that as this is a commercial paysite you are proposing, where you could be held personally or financially responsible for any hacks and security breaches or data losses, you really need to find an experienced web developer to build you a secure and well-functioning site rather than just a web designer.

I trust you have researched in depth your market to ensure there is:-
1] sufficient demand for your photo sets to warrant charging for them.
2] an unique selling point to cash in on.
3] a high enough profit margin to make the necessary investment financially viable.

As your current website states "I have been shooting models for just over a year" and as you have previously expressed reluctance to shell out for a decent lightmeter, likely to cost around a third of commissioning a popular paysite model or experienced web developer for a day, I suspect you may be trying to run before you have learned to walk.

A few experienced professionals who have been around this scene for a long time have previously offered you some sage advice. You may not like what they say, but if you ignore them you risk digging a very deep hole for yourself. If viable paysites were cheap to create and easy to maintain, we would all be running one.

Bob

Facethelens is off-line
29 October 2016 06:22
wiltshiretog
Photographer
wiltshiretog
Wiltshire

Thanks Bob
Ref light meter i bought a new one in the end,and yes i understand the importance of them.

Thank you for pointing out all the other bits,security,hacks and security breaches or data losses.Although i am using wordpress,this is just the beginning of the site,i wouldn't be launching it there.I would prefer to have a pro site built,but the money side is a bit to much for me at present

I have listened to the advice of you and the other photographers here,and i know that without shelling out thousands it is going to be a struggle.I am chatting with a few people who might be able to help.
I do believe there is a market for the stie i am planning,i have researched and found nothing that does the same.I am not in any rush,i don't mind if it doesn't happen until next year,i would rather get it right.
I am looking for photographers to help me shoot sets,i will pay for the model,and location,and also the photographer himself,but i need someone with a proven track record of this kind of shooting.

It might all come to nothing,but i have to try....
Cheers
It's all in the detail

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
linesteiner
gordon Thunder_Photos TonyHazell