Reminder Secure

moving from Canon 40D to 60D- a good move?

Moorlane is off-line
23 October 2016 04:23
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

I'm thinking of moving up from my Canon 40D to the 60D for the extra megapixels and the video .Is this a good move and will my 28-135mm USM lens from my 40D work with the 60 D ? Can't think why not .Has anyone made this move up ? Thanks

Matthew G is off-line
24 October 2016 06:10
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Yep, it's a good move, the 60D is a far superior camera although there are a few downsides... but go for it. The benefits are far greater than the negatives. I have used both. And yes, your lens will be fine. You'll need SD cards as opposed to CF cards though.

Paul is off-line
24 October 2016 09:54
paulcase
Photographer
paulcase
Lancashire

Big improvement.

Moorlane is off-line
01 November 2016 16:08
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
01 November 2016 19:18
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

I'll just add another positive note. I use a 7D MkII for wildlife and sport, but as I enjoy macro photography too, wanted a second body that I could keep ready with my macro lens and ring-flash permanently attached so I didn't have to get it all set up whenever I saw anything I wanted to photograph. I bought a new one after it's successor was released so I got it at a good discount, one magazine announcing that it was probably (at that time), the best value camera on the market. I've had absolutely no issues with it. I don't need fast focus/tracking capability or fast f.p.s. & it's well up to the job of taking pictures one by one in a controlled manner, image quality being as good as I ever need. I quite like the folding screen, it's the first camera I've owned with one, and I feel more secure with it rather than simply an exposed screen. I can't comment on the 40D, but it's a big positive from me for the 60D.

G Jack B is off-line
06 November 2016 03:54
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

As a general comment - such a move can only be good .. I went from a 450D to a 70D which was a huge leap and very pleased with it too..
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Anthonygh is off-lineSilver Member
16 November 2016 12:21
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I think it depends on how good you are.....is the 40D holding you back?

There are quite a few historic posts on the web concerning the image quality of the 40D...all very positive. I remember testing a 5D against a 40D way back......and decided on the 40D for that reason.

I later bought the 5D....and still use both....all my pics on here were taken with those two bodies. My kit still exceeds my talent.

It all depends on what you want to photograph of course.....but if IQ is your concern, you might want to look at the lenses you use...and the software you are using. A couple of years back Adobe changed something in ACR and it really improved the 40D files. I do tend to use prime or L lenses however.

G Jack B is off-line
21 November 2016 12:52
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from anthonyh
I think it depends on how good you are..... My kit still exceeds my talent. ....... I do tend to use prime or L lenses however.

Love that quote and its true for many of us Im sure.....

Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Paul is off-line
22 November 2016 07:01
paulcase
Photographer
paulcase
Lancashire

I would agree for the most part but 40d-60d has such a huge leap in low light high iso shooting that is not necessarily about talent. It just does a better job and enables more possibilities.

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
emmawillis kamazoo Keira1 mandymack Sophiek
ad360photo bdfoto Camerawerks cliffc copperbronze Creativedge djb1 ezzagood GatorBoi GerryS2 grahamsphotography HowardJ Ladiesman latch Mattfinishphotograph MauricesImagery michael_cameraman michaelangelo Modelimages4u numb Photochroma pixelking rscott360 sirspread Stoker TROY4 two_stops