Reminder Secure

Where to start for wedding photography all feedback welcome

www.jonathantennantphotography.co.uk is off-lineSilver Member
02 November 2016 06:30
jonathantennant
Photographer

Surrey
chertsey

Been shooting weddings for 20 years, started in the old days of film and 2 1/4 and been to a lot of wedding conventions so I like to think I've got my finger on the pulse and sadly it happens all the time.

Wedding suppliers club together - venue, wedding car, florist, wedding dress supplier, photographer, get a couple of models and BOOM an instant perfect wedding picture.

Dave is off-line
02 November 2016 07:12
Davenwuk
Photographer

Lancashire
Lancaster

Thanks all I am glad of all the advice as to make sure I cover as many possibilities as possible and capable for those that just happen in time of course

Oscars Photostudio is off-line
04 November 2016 03:41
oscar
Photographer
oscar
Cheshire
Nr Warrington

Check out weddings taking place in your area. Go and watch. Don't intrude.
Everything needs to have a plan + plan B.
What happens if you are ill on the day? Who will do the shoot for you?
Work out your costs based on this being your prime income.
A wedding will entail 16/20 hours from initial enquiry to final images.

Any questions ask.

Matthew G is off-line
04 November 2016 06:23
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from oscar
Check out weddings taking place in your area. Go and watch. Don't intrude.
Everything needs to have a plan + plan B.
What happens if you are ill on the day? Who will do the shoot for you?
Work out your costs based on this being your prime income.
A wedding will entail 16/20 hours from initial enquiry to final images.

Any questions ask.

16 to 20 hours? It isn't unusual to shoot 2000 images at a wedding. You have at least a day or two's work before tje wedding takes place. I know that sounds excessive but each time you have contact and do any preperation it all adds up. The day can easily be 12 hours if not considerably more with travel. I have shot weddings where I have been working for 16 hours plus. Going through the 2000 shots, starting to cut them down, preparing the proofs, doing the edits, choosing the album, helping the client decide... I think realistically it's a couple of weeks work unless you get a production line going. Whatever amount you charge whether it be £250 or £2500 you won't find many wealthy wedding photographers.

I actually find weddings rather tiring and they can be quite lonely... Everyone spends all day getting merrier and marrier, they all sit down and feast whilst you are lucky to get a sandwich. Photographing many weddings certainly puts you off having one yourself ever! Haha.

Back to the original post, as others say, attend weddings, lots of them. Watch how others work, how they handle the situations. If you are not good at handling lots of stress then don't do it. If you are not fantastic with people, don't do it. If your photography sucks.... Then take your time and that can improve. Go on one of Andy Gaine's workshops. He won wedding photographer of the year last year. I have worked alongside him filming a wedding. His way of working is unconventional, laid back and quite honestly, I wasn't convinced that he was doing an amazing job at the time but he certainly was.... You could learn a lot from people like that....

Dave is off-line
04 November 2016 07:13
Davenwuk
Photographer

Lancashire
Lancaster

Wow thanks all some great advice

Oscars Photostudio is off-line
05 November 2016 03:18
oscar
Photographer
oscar
Cheshire
Nr Warrington

Quote from MG

16 to 20 hours? It isn't unusual to shoot 2000 images at a wedding.

Sorry to go off topic but in the days of film packages tended to be based on the number of rolls of film. Albums containing 24/30 images were basic with some containing up to72.
Somewhere I have a book which lists about 150 suggested images with 30 listed as essential.

Given the normal limited amount of time between the service and the start of the reception how and what do you capture?

Matthew G is off-line
05 November 2016 08:41
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from oscar
Sorry to go off topic but in the days of film packages tended to be based on the number of rolls of film. Albums containing 24/30 images were basic with some containing up to72. Somewhere I have a book which lists about 150 suggested images with 30 listed as essential. Given the normal limited amount of time between the service and the start of the reception how and what do you capture?

Completely agree with you but photography has changed somewhat now. I used to work in the film days too (just) but now it seems quite common to shoot 2000 shots at a wedding. The last wedding I shot I took 2,525 shots with two cameras. If you glance down in Lightroom for shots on jobs then I think most people would tell the same story. As I said, I agree that it sounds excessive but that was a 14 hour day. That is less than 100 shots an hour on each camera. I shot a shorter wedding that was around 6 hours in total and I shot just under 1000 images. 

Doug Ross is off-line
17 November 2016 05:22
DougRossPhotographic
Photographer
DougRossPhotographic
Central
Falkirk

Another alternative is to invest in some proper Wedding photography tuition - (serves two purposes - gives you hands on experience and confidence; plus a good course will offer post course support.) I trained with Ray Davenport in Southampton - sadly now retired. But there are a stack of equally competent providers around. Good luck
Smile.......'Today is the first day of the rest of your life!'

Dave is off-line
21 November 2016 15:07
Davenwuk
Photographer

Lancashire
Lancaster

Thanks to you all for your advice and feedback

42 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Asian_amy_Latina coven Darling Evelyn_knight FeliciaGracexx Jeffjeeb2 kkoch Krystald Liam9 paige_hendrix REDXXX Rosamund
ad360photo altf4images amber7 AndytheMaster big_err BobMac cliffc Daveinsurrey Davidhepworth dhuntuk djb1 fannmore gkeesuk hylander jackw Kiboko KrissB laurencejpower modelboutique plld rscott360 siclews Snooper911 star_shots Steveh32 stufreeman Take5 thelook tonyjolley tonyphoto