Studio Flash Advice

Hammertime.. is off-line
05 December 2016 17:16
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Surrey
Sutton

I have a set of Bowens Gemini 500's (2) but want a 3rd fill in light, will any flash head work with these? ie flash along with them? don't need it to be a 500 and can be a cheaper light, I take it if they flash on activation of the first one then all should sync automatically? Thanks in advance..

CGW is off-line
05 December 2016 17:22
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Anything with an optical trigger will work. You can even get something like this to trigger a speedlight

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAGULL-SYK-3-Hot-Shoe-Flash-Light-Remote-Optical-slave-Trigger-for-Canon-Nikon-/371041482724?hash=item5663cbb7e4:g:ZMkAAOSww9VXhba8

Hammertime.. is off-line
05 December 2016 18:07
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Surrey
Sutton

Fantastic thank you, I tried syncing two 580EX IIs before to no avail.. I will try one of those to see how it goes.. Thanks again..

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
05 December 2016 18:54
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

In general you can't sync TTL flash units like the 580s with studio flash, partly because of their pre-flash that'll trigger the studio lights but also their infra-red communication between each other and the camera can trigger the studio flash also (as most are IR as well as visible light sensitive).

If you do want to use speedlights with studio flash, you need to run them in full-manual mode and preferably trigger everything with radio triggers to avoid these various issues.

Also bear in mind however that speedlights can be different colour temperature than the light from studio flash (In my experience they markedly cooler).
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Hammertime.. is off-line
05 December 2016 19:14
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Surrey
Sutton

Thanks matey, I used to have a cheap set of Pro Lines which I could have experimented with however they blew.. More than just the bulbs too..

I will look out for a cheap second hand light for now just so I can also backlight hair..

Dave Beasley is off-line
05 December 2016 19:15
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I can sell you a pair of mint condition Gemini 400s with stands/umbrellas for £400 including personal delivery.

Dave

Hammertime.. is off-line
05 December 2016 19:32
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Surrey
Sutton

Dave Thanks matey, can't really afford it just now though sorry.. otherwise I would be in there like swimwear..

DAVID SHARPLES. is off-line
10 December 2016 09:59
Dave@studio99
Photographer
Dave@studio99
Lancashire
DARWEN

Try one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yongnuo-YN-560-Speedlite-Olympus-Cameras/dp/B00PIIRO1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481378231&sr=8-1&keywords=yongnuo+560 I have one,it's fully manual and has it's own built in slave cell to trigger the flash.

Hammertime.. is off-line
10 December 2016 10:14
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Surrey
Sutton

Excellent, thanks never thought of those, I know where I can borrow some....

Doug Ross is off-line
15 December 2016 07:34
DougRossPhotographic
Photographer
DougRossPhotographic
Central
Falkirk

Good Luck and hope you manage to work something out.
Smile.......'Today is the first day of the rest of your life!'

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
carshaltonkev Reflextv