Good laptop

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
14 January 2017 06:28
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi All
I look to upgrade my old laptop! So I was doing bit looking about and I look at about a core I5 or possible a core i7 with 8GB ram!

Now I don’t have a big budget and also as I may be using it on location get it stolen or drop it!

So I looking for something that has a good battery life (or a battery back up out there?) and has a good Screen Resolution? Also is worth using the built in card read?

I look forward to your thoughts on this!
Thanks
Brian

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
14 January 2017 06:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Only 8GB or RAM? I'd personally only consider 16GB upwards for any serious work, especially if you're into heavy editing or multitasking and memory's so cheap nowadays there's little excuse not to. It may be worth checking expandability and whether it may be cheaper to buy a machine with less memory and immediately replace it with a third party RAM kit (say from Crucial.com), that's what I did with my laptop anyway and it's perfect.
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

w4pictures is off-line
14 January 2017 08:53
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

How about something like this
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/a1-refurbished-toshiba-satellite-l50-c-22l-intel-core-i5-5200u-8gb-1tb-15.-a1-pskwne-09w082en/version.asp

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
15 January 2017 06:59
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Thanks for the help guys i be looking into it thanks!

Hammertime.. is off-line
15 January 2017 15:29
Nemesis
Photographer
Nemesis
Surrey
Sutton

I had to upgrade when my old Puter and Laptop could no longer handle Lightroom, Got myself a great HP Envy core i7 16gb RAM, stand alone graphics card and its 17", multi tasks like a dream and sturdy two as I found out when I forgot to do my bag up and it did the whole length of the London Bridge Tube Escalator.. Also has Beats by Dre and two built in Subwoofers ?? Allegedly... Was not cheap, about £1200 but again if you are going to be multi tasking or running memory heavy programs get completely up to speed..

Emz is off-lineSilver Member
16 January 2017 17:40
GymnastEnPointe
Model

Lincolnshire
Peterborough

I have a ROG G752VY and I can't speak a single bad word against it! Best machine ever! Handles all my images as you'd expect a decent machine to, but it also plays ALL games on highest settings. 32gb RAM, multiple solid state drives, huge cooling, just incredible power. It takes exactly 8 seconds from pushing on to it being fully loaded and raring to go

HowardJ is online
16 January 2017 19:52
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from GymnastEnPointe
I have a ROG G752VY and I can't speak a single bad word against it! Best machine ever! Handles all my images as you'd expect a decent machine to, but it also plays ALL games on highest settings. 32gb RAM, multiple solid state drives, huge cooling, just incredible power. It takes exactly 8 seconds from pushing on to it being fully loaded and raring to go

And all for a mere £2000....

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
17 January 2017 04:53
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Top end gaming laptops and ones with 17" screens are neither affordable or portable both in terms of size and weight (even 15" are cumbersome enough if moving around a lot).
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Doug Ross is off-line
21 January 2017 07:00
DougRossPhotographic
Photographer
DougRossPhotographic
Central
Falkirk

If you are on Ebay - look for crocodile computers in the Durham area; the build one off machines at decent rates, ditto have a good range of re-conditioned machines.
Good Luck.

Doug
Smile.......'Today is the first day of the rest of your life!'

Trevor Matthews is off-line
02 February 2017 11:01
Trevormatthews
Photographer

Greater Manchester
wigan

I Cant advise on a specific laptop but i can say i do a LOT of lightroom editing with bits and bobs running in the background and have no problems at all with a 4gb ram so i dont think you will need 32gb ram etc.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Falcker666 Jeffjeeb2 joelipo95 paige_hendrix RobieX tim xamberx Xgreeneyesx
alta_igor Antony13 bninja bradder carshaltonkev cliffc djb1 freddie Galaxypro HowardJ jackcalling James7799 Keithhendy kimsandman2 Philski skinz Thunder_Photos tigerman urbano
tim