18 January 2017 02:19
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Moorlane
Im trying to understand why 8 hours is so important

From a photographer's point of view (obviously depending on location & potential variety of scenery change) it allows for a decent amount of changes & styles to be shot with several breaks.  Plus the fact that models often do whole-day deals, and when you're forking out for a location (and possibly a MUA too) it makes more sense to shoot the whole day to make the most of your financial investment (and likely a day off work to do the shoot).

When I've shot 8 hours in the past in interesting locations (such as manor houses or abandoned factories) it allows for  (say) four completely different setups in different rooms.  So say it takes half hour to set up the lights, half hour to dismantle & move them to the next set and 30-45 minutes shoot time, that still gives a 1 hour break in the middle and two shorter 15 minute breaks between shoots... it's actually quite a good way of working if your stamina's up to it.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

CGW is off-line
18 January 2017 08:17
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Quote from Moorlane
Im trying to understand why 8 hours is so important

I read this as a shorthand way of saying "all day shoot" rather than 8 hours having some intrinsic special importance
Also, if you look, most models specify 8 hours as a full day day shoot, I've never seen one advertise rates for a 10 hour day

David Hunt is off-line
19 January 2017 05:28
dhuntuk
Photographer

Surrey
Camberley

Quote from cgwebster

I read this as a shorthand way of saying "all day shoot" rather than 8 hours having some intrinsic special importance
Also, if you look, most models specify 8 hours as a full day day shoot, I've never seen one advertise rates for a 10 hour day

If you take out the 'unpaid' lunch hour, it is actually only 7 hours...

I have endured a few 6 hours bookings in the past. These are split into 2x3 hours sessions with a 30 minutes break in between. Seemed better..?

Matthew G is off-line
19 January 2017 18:43
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I was about to say it is a bit silly to arrange an 8 hour shoot as you'll both get tired and you won't be productive.... But then I met a model last year, went and stayed at her house on the Saturday evening and shot all day Sunday, leaving around 9pm on the Sunday.... I'd never met her before, went with largely no plan at all and got the most amazing shots. Of course we weren't shooting the whole time. It was all on location and travelling time was a fair bit but

So the answer is if you are comfortable about how the day is going to be filled and you are both happy then shut up and shoot! haha

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 January 2017 03:20
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Despite being stupidly overweight and unfit, some of my best shots have been towards the end of exhausting, all-day shoots.... maybe it's the adrenalin kicking in as I force myself to continue through the pain in my muscles/joints & sheer exhuastion? (it's not unusual for me to be shaking like a leaf at the end of a shoot).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dave Williamson is off-lineGold Member
23 January 2017 05:08
Rhadamanthus
Photographer

South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Thank you for your replies.

As many of you have surmised one of the main reasons I have decided on an all day shoot is to take advantage of deals offered by the model/mua/studio. I have a number of ideas I'd like to try out and an eight hour shoot (with breaks of course) seemed a ideal solution if planned properly.

My friend's concern was that of booking a model with whom I'd not worked before for eight hours, relying solely on her references. It seems he's not the only one with such reservations which has given me food for thought.

Dave

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Sacha4creative Winterlilly
antoinewynn bengie david1500 gperl Jan77 jccj1 jonnywoo Kentrichuk Lenz MIB modelboutique oro plaatjesmaker powerbook92 sniffer Snooper911 Willjamieson
barlowstudios