Reminder Secure

calculating electricity cost

Moorlane is off-line
15 March 2017 20:29
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

My leccy has taken a bit of a hammering this last 2 weeks. Is there any way of roughly calculating what it has cost me?
starting meter reading ...39959
end ...40083

Thanks

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 March 2017 04:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The average (according to a Google search) is around 12p per kWh, so you're looking at around £15

A few years ago I had major issues and wondered what the hell it was. I bought one of those testers and couldn't find anything that was that greedy (I'd bought a lot of things like TV, Hifi etc. at the time). It turned out it was the tumble dryer, which didn't occur to me and was costing 36p per hour to run, and it was being used several hours a day due to the awful weather.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Moorlane is off-line
16 March 2017 15:25
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Many thanks - so not too bad then!
john

HowardJ is off-line
18 March 2017 14:23
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Well they recommend household appliances consume the following amounts of energy:

Tumble dryer: 1 hr = 21p
Washing machine: 1 wash = 10p
Dishwasher: 1 load = 18p
Mobile device charge: 12 hrs overnight = 1p
Laptop: 2 hrs use = 1p
Games console: 2 hrs play = 4p

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
19 March 2017 03:54
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from HowardJ
Well they recommend household appliances consume the following amounts of energy: Tumble dryer: 1 hr = 21p Washing machine: 1 wash = 10p Dishwasher: 1 load = 18p Mobile device charge: 12 hrs overnight = 1p Laptop: 2 hrs use = 1p Games console: 2 hrs play = 4p

As I said in my post, my tumble dryer worked out at almost double that (3kW at 12p per kWh) so I'd take these with a very big pinch of salt.

Those little monitoring sockets can give you a good indication of what devices are consuming, but don't forget to add everything being used (eg. for a games console you will have the TV and possibly a seperate speaker system, not to mention the latest generation of consoles (esp. the PS4) are pretty power hungry so a crude estimate for my PS4 setup will come in at 20p for two hours play which is 5x that estimate you quote).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

HowardJ is off-line
20 March 2017 18:23
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from RedChecker
As I said in my post, my tumble dryer worked out at almost double that (3kW at 12p per kWh) so I'd take these with a very big pinch of salt.

Those little monitoring sockets can give you a good indication of what devices are consuming, but don't forget to add everything being used (eg. for a games console you will have the TV and possibly a seperate speaker system, not to mention the latest generation of consoles (esp. the PS4) are pretty power hungry so a crude estimate for my PS4 setup will come in at 20p for two hours play which is 5x that estimate you quote).

My figures came straight off a Scottish Power bill.

Your actual usage will depend on the energy efficiency of your appliances. If you have an old tumble dryer it's likely to be less energy efficient so it'll use more energy in the same period of time. If you have a larger capacity tumble dryer than average then... guess what... yep, that's right, it's likely to use more energy than an average capacity one.

If you use a CRT TV then it's likely to use more energy than an A+ rated LED TV.

And there was me thinking people used games consoles without using a TV....

It ain't rocket science.

AGS is off-line
22 March 2017 13:44
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Single rate meter I assume ?
Provider ? Tariff ? or just post the kwh rate...
Alternatively, consider trying a smart meter ?

Personally I avoid anything with the word 'smart' in it (aside from the phone), but that's just me.

Moorlane is off-line
22 March 2017 19:04
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Thank you everyone. The cost was based on use of a 2-3 bar electric fire in use during the 2 week period

diipii is off-line
13 April 2017 05:55
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

If you use electricity for any kind of heat it's expensive. Other than that just enjoy life.
It only happens all the time.

Len Maynard is off-line
05 June 2017 12:09
Skid2
Photographer
Skid2
Cheshire
Stockport

26/04/2017

standard rate 0.16527
units per quarter
standing charges 0.16422

start final useage days Charges Standing Sub VAT Total
39959 40083 124 14 £20.49 £2.30 £22.79 £1.14 £23.93
"I never cared for fashion much, amusing little seams and witty little pleats: it was the girls I liked." - David Bailey

35 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
apriluk chandni23 Pinklilly ryansd speed84 Superhawk8
abouncer BOBREEVES cliffc Dandelion davejarvis dg_Images djb1 ElegantCaptures eosfan geronimo GerryS2 gwentman James7799 Ladiesman lify Mattcairns MIB mlp modelboutique NeilScott oscar philippahh PhilStorm poah riddell RupertRudd steevrosewood steveh32 Thunder_Photos