Reminder Secure

Camera article on the beeb

AGS is off-line
24 March 2017 08:33
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Little article on the beeb about camera tech over the years I thought you guys might enjoy. Thankfully it's not exhaustive, and filled with fun facts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/56z3PCZbHlBp60HcG3QkwnZ/five-game-changing-cameras-that-turned-us-into-photographers?intc_type=singletheme&intc_location=arts&intc_campaign=iplayerfooter&intc_linkname=artcile_cameraschangedworld_contentcard17

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
26 March 2017 14:46
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Shortened hyperlink

That has got me trying to remember some of the other advances that came and went over that time. Flash bulbs gave way to those magic cubes, though I stuck to the real thing in one of those folding reflectors of course. Cokin filters were a must have for quite a while. And we argue about degrading the image by leaving UV filters on these days! My one attempt at using very high speed film. (3200 ASA/ISO) produced results more akin to a poor impresssoinist painitng. Kodak having to scrap their entire line of polaroid copies after losing and expensive court battle. Oh the irony in retrospect. I still recall the many articles imperiously explaining why digital would never beat film. Just a few years before I bought my first Digital camera a Canon 300D.Just before that I am sure there was a digital insert you could put into your SLR to replace the film

I seem to remember getting fleeced over the latest 'colour developer' that was going to solve all thse critical developing issues by putting the chemicals into easy to use spray cans!

The thing that amzes me is that the modern digital SLR is still using the same basic mechanics in terms of shutter and lens as the first SLR's though. I do remember trying a Fuji with a digital viewfinder and being less than impressed

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

AGS is off-line
26 March 2017 23:25
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Yeah that wasn't the greatest. I don't remember the spray cans, but I still have some rotary cubes somewhere, got loads from boots back in the day for the Colour Swinger II ( http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/112101707521-0-1/s-l1000.jpg ) - sorry about the URL's and thanks for correcting that one, but url's are a pain on the current PS, hope that gets sorted in the upgrade.

Haven't heard about that court battle - details ? sounds interesting...

G Jack B is off-line
28 March 2017 04:47
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

The recent BBC4 ? profile of photography was very interesting but the presenter looked down on digital (and colour!) formats so came over as very a**l..
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
28 March 2017 06:01
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Plymjack
The recent BBC4 ? profile of photography was very interesting but the presenter looked down on digital (and colour!) formats so came over as very a**l..

That's a far cry from a BBC technology documentary I saw some years ago which looked at some new compact digital camera in which Kate Humble claimed that it's better quality than film simply because it was digital (yes, I scratched my head at the time too)
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

35 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alibama alishaa CrystalBlue cuddlygurl donnaaustin Krystald Mattharris1985 Teela
AlletunYL alt azurphotos BeautyWithinTheI1 Christianscott Davetse Dukke eosfan flashharry funky Gordee hylander Ian123 James7799 johntisbury Kjoservices martinbell mike0048 NigelAdams Paul_Jones philippahh rscott360 sammylhel Steveh32 thelook Vltavakrtek
barlowstudios