Recovering your Photographic Mojo

This thread is being watched by 1 person
AGS is off-line
01 April 2017 11:28
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Best way, was just illustrating the turmoil that seems to be present every time you pop your head up from the parapet these days. Good money, to quote Clarance Bodiker from Robocop... is where you find it... (still looking.) Weddings, nah, had my share of abuse from brides, been there done that, had the grief after because they can't wait for the edits; because - photos edit themselves don't they - and instantly in camera too. Total disrespect is all I found in that genre, wouldn't mind but I took some crackin' images.

The race to the bottom is not a mindset I ever wanted to be a part of, and indeed do not partake in. Bloody annoying to be undercut beyond the point of basic insurance and lens rental though by absolute rank amateurs who wouldn't know what hit em if the single memory card camera suddenly stopped working with no backup, resulting in a ruined day and fleeting but magical moments missed. If anything THEE most important person at a wedding, other than the bride and groom of course, IS the photographer; providing tangible things you can take away from the day, while the day itself is transient, of the moment, giving you the best memories of the day.

Ye, im tired now of the loose crumbs. Have been invited to do a studio day tomorrow. £20 to attend - yay, more opportunity to pay to work. Tenner for models though - why ?

Yeah, despite only a third of my port being topless or nude, im thinking that's a good call. Initially I thought it being a modelling site, people would want to know what you are capable of doing... what your experience is... guess not if the key to success is avoiding posting nudes. Which takes us back to 'why use model sites when everyone is on facebook'? defeats the point somewhat. But I absolutely echo where you're coming from.

diipii is off-line
13 April 2017 05:12
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Phlearn: Never heard of this but it looks like a "Photoshop is what you must have to make great shots" site. Photoshop is something I would never want to be without but it won't make great shots and might furtle up a few if you think like that.

Weddings: From experience I know this is a great way to make some cash in a clean, social environment. But, don't chase the lowest price or that's the end of the market you will be dealing with. Not pleasant at all and will never make you any money.

Don't copy. Go out and shoot what you want and poop to anybody else.

Mojos come and go. That's what they do. Take a break, maybe shoot video for a while. Just use your phone and some basic NLE software and have fun. I am doing this now and it is fun.

Avoid camera clubs. This way lies madness. All that comparing of kit and fatuous up-their-own-botties jargon whores will destroy your soul.

Never shoot with other people (except models) concentration is important.

Always go your own way with photography and never listen to anybody (especially old gits like me who think they know it all) Originality is what pleases but it doesn't have to change the world. Experiment, experiment, experiment. I bought a stealth cam and put a 10x CU lens on it with gaffer tape and got some good stuff. I stopped looking through the viewfinder and just pointed the camera in crowds and got some good stuff. I shot video and told myself colour became all about the colour so shot in B&W and sound became all about the sound so shot silent and got some good stuff. Who says my stuff is good ? Me that's who. It's all about me and I love not having to please anyone else. Why the hell should I ???

Don't fret it - have fun instead.

It only happens all the time.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
13 April 2017 13:43
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from diipii
Phlearn: Never heard of this but it looks like a "Photoshop is what you must have to make great shots" site. Photoshop is something I would never want to be without but it won't make great shots and might furtle up a few if you think like that.

While I agree entirely with your comments on photoshop and would not put Phlearn on a pedestal if you think that then you have only given it a brief glance as quite a bit if not most of some tutorials is about the setting up of sets and the creative concepts before photoshop. Different people will draw inspiration in different ways. For me there are no absolutes. I put it out there because there will be some who have not heard of it and perhaps the odd person who finds inspiration from something on that site. As indeed others may draw that from something in your post.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

AGS is off-line
16 April 2017 09:46
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

There are many great alternatives to photoshop, and not all at that price-point. Gimp, Corel Paint, Affinity Photo etc... all worth looking into. Phlearn is just one small facet in a very large dynamically creative digital world. Besides, a lot of what they do can in some form be translated to most packages these days. Ya right on the weddings though, 100%. Disagree on the camera clubs though, some can be a lot of fun, I used to go to a local one till a certain jealous individual spoiled it for me... can meet some nice folks, you chat, you share technique, and you show photos - not much different to here really, cept... add some beer. lol. Beats sitting on your own thumbing through a photography magazine looking for ideas.

Anthonygh is off-line
21 May 2017 10:31
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Back to the OPs question.....I found film revived my interest in quite a few ways. First.....it revived a whole skill set that I might have lost.Developing film for example.

That led me to sites and publications that are analogue orientated.And exploring charity shops for interesting photo books and mags. Especially featuring B+W images.

I invested some money in additional MF lenses for my Bronica.....and got a couple of old Canon's out again.

I began exploring scanning techniques and ways to work with the scans in Photoshop.

I began printing stuff again...so another avenue to explore.

And for something totally different.....I bought a phone before Christmas with a 15 MB camera. And it is pretty good....which has motivated me to get more into landscapes etc...and using apps like Snapseed. Which I can import into Photoshop and continue working on.

And sometimes I import pics from computer to my phone or iPad and work on them using photo apps.

So lots to do!!

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
22 May 2017 15:22
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

Quote from AndyGStudios

(snip)
Seems to be all about paying exorbitant sums these days, comply or sod off. Hope the scene one day returns to the vibrant creative community it once was - I miss that.

omg how i agree with that.

northwalesimages is off-lineGold Member
24 May 2017 23:21
northwalesimages
Photographer
northwalesimages
Gwynedd

been in and out of hospital the last 3 years, but my wife has got me to do a few shoot to see if my mojo comes back.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
25 May 2017 02:34
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from northwalesimages
been in and out of hospital the last 3 years, but my wife has got me to do a few shoot to see if my mojo comes back.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you have a goodun for a wife. Hope the camera at least helps a little getting back on your feet.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Bob is onlinePlatinum Member
25 May 2017 11:41
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from AndyGStudios
Hope the scene one day returns to the vibrant creative community it once was - I miss that.

I, too, really miss the old scene and those involved in it on both sides of the lens who shot primarily to be creative rather than to exploit the other party.

Fortunately my photographic mojo does not depend on snapping models so I seldom lose it for more than a few hours.

Over the last ten days I have been fortunate to have taken over 6,500 images of everything from soldiers and military vehicles to civilian ambulances and operating theatre teams to a President so my mojo probably needs holding back at the moment, but while on that epic overseas assignment I still pointed my lens at trains and a church just because they were there and they caught my eye.

It really doesn't take a pretty young thing to fan my photographic mojo into action, but it would be nice if a few more models were more interested in shooting for art / creativity than in just emptying wallets.

On those occasions where I do need a good model for publication work I'm blessed in having that consumate professional victoriasummers only a phone call and half an hour's drive away, but it would be great to think that there were a few more like her on the scene to make it more vibrant again.

Bob

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment ChloeT inversexpression lett66 MercedesScouse paige_hendrix
ad360photo alt bob claypaws david1500 diphoto doughnut Flipcourt GerryS2 gilespj iestyn Kjoservices modelboutique modelimaging moritz78 Musicman rayhaslam spiritofwales steveh32 Thunder_Photos timbham willysmb