Reminder Secure

bringing old decking back to life...advice?

Moorlane is off-line
09 April 2017 11:31
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

I have some tired old decking that I am trying to revive. Can I ask if anyone has attempted this and the best way to go about it? Thanks

Moorlane is off-line
09 April 2017 11:31
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

I have some tired old decking in my back garden that I am trying to revive. Can I ask if anyone has attempted this and the best way to go about it? Thanks

w4pictures is off-line
09 April 2017 17:31
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

In terms of trying to revive tired old things, you couldn't find a better place to ask.

Don't you just replace decking? Its fairly cheap.

Moorlane is off-line
10 April 2017 03:27
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

agreed it isn't too expensive to replace and there are a couple of pieces do need replacing. I have slapped some fencing preservative on but it still doesn't look great! I wondered if there were any better treatments

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
10 April 2017 03:38
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I never got around to finishing off the decking at the old house. Left that to the new owner. I did use a pressure washer to clear off all the old mould and fungi that makes it a bit grim. If you do this probably worth a decent one though. You will want it to keep the deck clean later and the cheap ones don't have the pressure to clean a decent strip on each swipe. They can do it but take an age. You can also buy a chemical to kill off the mould. With any sort of surface treatment the key is in the preparation. If you don't get that right then whatever goes on top will look rubbish no matter how much you pay for it. May even be worth hiring a floor sander.

Really once you have a decent surface there are plenty of decking paints and stains to choose from and I'm sure they will all do what they say on the can. But only if everything is prepared right to start with.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Moorlane is off-line
10 April 2017 16:53
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply to my post. I will pressure wash it and see how it looks then

Profile Pictures is off-lineSilver Member
11 April 2017 01:57
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Jeez, you pop in to see if there's anything of interest on here these days, and get a decking thread?

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
11 April 2017 03:10
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from profilepictures
Jeez, you pop in to see if there's anything of interest on here these days, and get a decking thread?

Simple solution. Pop on here more often and post something yourself you deem interesting. Or post on a thread where you comments could be of use, like showing a little support for models that have recently posted to say they are back. Sites are more than just the software. If all people see when they come are people bitching and whining on every thread that goes up then of course the place will start to empty
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

HowardJ is off-line
11 April 2017 16:39
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Have you got some petrol and some matches?

diipii is off-line
13 April 2017 05:53
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Get a woodturner and use it as fuel.
It only happens all the time.

36 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
apriluk caz0054 Chandni23 chosin Civilianproject clark123 EvaJohnson JennyJen julia1984 mandymack michellehush Ndcent007
Antony13 conceptOL9 davejarvis DecimalDan digitizer eosfan Fluffypup grahamh jackw jayfish jb3329 jyp kfred Ladiesman mlp mrdl nige_nw Parlour_photo Platidonio rob_owen ron southernsnapper Vltavakrtek wq0pco
chosin