Reminder Secure

experienced wedding photographer needed......for £10/hr waahaahaaa...

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
21 June 2017 12:48
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from MG
I'd photograph a wedding for £10 an hour and i am a working photographer. My stop watch will go on every time i do any work to do with the wedding, they'll need to dry hire the kitvi require or hire my own kit, pay my full travel expenses, the post production work, the hire of my computet, pay my insurance..... My point is weddings arent cost effective and once you take everything in to account i bet most weddi g photographers barely clear £10 an hour....

At least there you are adding up the full costs in time and overheads to cover a wedding and making an informed decision that what you are left with is worth it.

That is where so many go wrong. Whether that isthe  would be photographers or ill informed clients. They ignore everything other than the few moments a photo actually takes. If you are doing something as a business then every minute and every expense spent on that business counts. The hours on the website, the time doing portfolio work. The time spent chatting with the bride over what she is looking for and what you can provide. The coffee and biscuits provided in that meeting, the sample albums and usb's You have to include all those emails and the cost of your domain and broadband use. The ink used in the printer, the repairs and upgrading of equipment. There is the obvious like time spent editing and easy to forget like phone calls and text and business time on facebook -  because they are 'free' or you would be doing it anyhow. Oh and dare we whisper it... Tax?

Its not new of course. In the days of film there were still the weekend warriors, many of them damned good. The differenc I t hink was that the learning curve was steeper and more brutal. You had to pay for the film, pay for the developing and printing so the costs of incompetence soon started to mount up. When the cost is mainly your time it is easier to delude yourself you have the foundations of a business. Until you make the mistake of going full time or the taxman taps on the door.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Profile Pictures is off-line
23 June 2017 05:13
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Thoroughly enjoying running a full time wedding photography business, paying the bills for two of us and paying our tax too. Obviously it takes a bit of savvy to be profitable and to make the mechanics of it all work and grow - its also essential to be consistent and creative in making pictures which get you noticed, but it's a great way to make a living and gives loads of time to pursue other interests and enjoy free time. Low paying clients and all that awkward malarkey don't affect me since I don't court that level of the market.

Phil Black is off-lineSilver Member
24 August 2017 02:39
Dandelion
Photographer

Norfolk
Norwich

This attitude is peculiar to photography, they would not think of using someone inexperienced from another profession,
But will trust coverage that can't be repeated to a complete novice with ONE camera! Astonishing!
I gave up trying to explain the pit falls.

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
03 September 2017 06:42
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

Quote from Dandelion
This attitude is peculiar to photography, they would not think of using someone inexperienced from another profession,
But will trust coverage that can't be repeated to a complete novice with ONE camera! Astonishing!
I gave up trying to explain the pit falls.

no its not.

ever tried being a driving instructor?
the phone used to go off with people telling me "john doe school of motoring down the road is doing lessons at £5
i'll go with you if you can beat that.

my only response to that after many similar calls was to put down the phone and get on with
cutting the grass etc as even trying to explain was taking up time and energy.

18 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Charlenemarie Jamesdean111 stratman79 tashaholz wrenstar
andygstudios Boffa32 davidn Ghallgraphics lenspoynter magpie1 metro nemesis Photojames43 Ripleyphotos sniffer two_stops
matt