Your Advice Needed for Purchasing a New Photographer's Computer Please

Dragon Graffix is off-line
10 August 2017 07:55
DragonGraffix
Photographer

Hampshire
Portsmouth

Hi Good Folks

Can I pick your brains regarding what make and specification of computers you as photographers are using these days, and where you may suggest I can get a good deal with good service?

I have been using an HP computer running Windows XP for the last 10 years and for the last 5 years it has been attached to an Eizo ColorEdge CG241W monitor.

I just purchased a new HP computer but my images are very highly saturated on it particularly red and skin tones are very unnatural, even after a great deal of manipulation of the monitor settings. After several hours on the phone to HP tech support I will be taking it back to John Lewis where I purchased it.

Any help / advice you can give me in purchasing a good photographers‘ computer would be greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Rob 
"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." - Sophia Loren

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
10 August 2017 08:21
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

My editing computer is a water cooled beast with mirrored drives from Chillblast Had it for a few years now and has taken everything that gets thrown at it day in day out. Nor sure of the model other than they had a few set up specifically for photoshop. The monitor is an Eizo 27" so not a cheap combo. In fairness the monitor I bought with it at the time was not bad for the price

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
10 August 2017 08:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Lots of memory is the main thing you need to look for if you're into heavy photo editing. Even my 16GB laptop used to struggle with memory issues after a period of time, so I opted for 32GB on my desktop machine (money permitting I'd have gone for 64GB in all honesty) and imo 32GB should be what you should aim for as a minimum for any serious work machine.

Video card wise, don't forget you need either an nVidea Quadro, or ATI/AMD FirePro card in order so fully support 10 bit per channel on high end monitors (and you'll need to use the display port connector), as all other options are 8-bit per channel colour depth.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

ChrisS is off-line
10 August 2017 15:56
TheChrisS
Photographer

Cambridgeshire

Mines from Chillblast too. They're a fantastic company, would thoroughly recommend them for computers

Dave Beasley is off-line
10 August 2017 16:43
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Mac Pro with Eizo colourEdge monitor

Paul is off-line
11 August 2017 01:33
paulcase
Photographer
paulcase
Lancashire

MAC

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
11 August 2017 05:40
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

For those suggesting Macs, it would nice to hear a good enough reason why.

Providing you don't find Windows difficult, a Windows PC that is arguably more powerful than a Mac Pro (which is aimed at video when you consider its poor memory expansion but massively parallel graphics processing capability) especially for photo editing (which needs memory, not raw speed) can be had for half the money.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul is off-line
11 August 2017 10:32
paulcase
Photographer
paulcase
Lancashire

Quote from RedChecker
For those suggesting Macs, it would nice to hear a good enough reason why. Providing you don't find Windows difficult, a Windows PC that is arguably more powerful than a Mac Pro (which is aimed at video when you consider its poor memory expansion but massively parallel graphics processing capability) especially for photo editing (which needs memory, not raw speed) can be had for half the money.

I find the Mac simple to operate, reliable (after 4 years) and quick. I am not a computer expert but I struggled for years trying to get light,contrast and coulor right with various lap tops and computers. Once I bought the Mac this all became so easy. I struggled swopping over to the Mac system for the first couple of weeks but now if I have to work on windows based systems I find them over complicated by comparison. Of course its personal choice but the Mac suits my needs perfectly.

Matthew G is off-line
16 August 2017 04:41
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

It's a difficult comparison when you just compare all of the numbers because they are not like for like. The old mac and PC war of words will go on forever. A trip to an applestore is a good idea. For myself, I've had a mac for around ten years now and never had any issues whatsoever with one. No virusses, nothing. I know some people do but I just find it easier overall. I was extremely experienced on PC's before Windows 10 came out and now I find PC's alien, I still have a sony Vaio that I use on occasion when I absolutely have to but I just prefer Mac. And I like using an Android phone too. My brother however hats Macs and loves Iphones.... Thats why you have a choice of Sunday roasts :-)

Dragon Graffix is off-line
16 August 2017 14:24
DragonGraffix
Photographer

Hampshire
Portsmouth

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE TRIED TO HELP ME, YOUR ADVICE HAS BEEN GREATLY AND GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED!

May I kindly ask you if you can recommend a good supplier that is reliable?

Many thanks
"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." - Sophia Loren

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Klara Michelledefeo1 Welshrose2009
antoinewynn Auctioneer Billyboy57 cgwebster ChrisD ElegantCaptures George99 john_at_tina_spice keltica lukaszmarcinkowski magpie1 martinchristie MauricesImagery mlp powerbook92 redbaron Rtnphotography stevegosh Steveh32 Steveharratt walton
kerandastudio2