Adobe Lightroom

Dave Bourne is off-line
30 August 2017 15:48
djbphotography
Photographer
djbphotography
Hampshire
Gosport

I dont know if I've imagined this or misunderstood but am I right to think that Adobe offer the full versions of their older software for free but with no support?  If so then how do you go about getting a license key?  I dont want to be messing around with key-gen's everytime I need to re-install (which wouldn't be that often).

Thanks
To some people it's just light, to me it's raw material

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
31 August 2017 01:49
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

First I've heard of it, and would be amazed if they gave away any software for free, even if it is old (even early versions of Lightroom are highly capable).

There was talk a few years ago of them doing this with Photoshop but I get the impression is was an urban myth as I seem to recall a lot of confusion over it and remember people saying it only worked with genuine licences etc.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dave Bourne is off-line
31 August 2017 02:08
djbphotography
Photographer
djbphotography
Hampshire
Gosport

I think that's where I was getting confused as I spent a bit more time looking into this and it seems there was a lot of mis-understanding a few years back when Adobe turned off the activation servers for CS2. Everyone thought Adobe were handing out "free" licenses but in actual fact they were issuing replacement keys to those who had already purchased the software.
To some people it's just light, to me it's raw material

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
31 August 2017 04:21
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from RedChecker
First I've heard of it, and would be amazed if they gave away any software for free, even if it is old (even early versions of Lightroom are highly capable). There was talk a few years ago of them doing this with Photoshop but I get the impression is was an urban myth as I seem to recall a lot of confusion over it and remember people saying it only worked with genuine licences etc.

Not an Urban myth. It was with PS version2. and due to them turning off the activation servers for that product. Details about it  in link below. What they forgot was that because this revised version did not need to activate or check online as long as you had a valid code you could use it on as many computers as you wanted. surprise

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/creative-software/adobe-denies-free-cs2-downloads-are-giveaway/
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
31 August 2017 09:11
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from redbaron
Not an Urban myth. It was with PS version2. and due to them turning off the activation servers for that product. Details about it  in link below. What they forgot was that because this revised version did not need to activate or check online as long as you had a valid code you could use it on as many computers as you wanted. surprise

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/creative-software/adobe-denies-free-cs2-downloads-are-giveaway/

This myth should die already.
It was never a free version to anyone, it was for those with valid CS2 keys.

31 August 2017 10:45
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from PHP_Photography
This myth should die already.
It was never a free version to anyone, it was for those with valid CS2 keys.

Legally perhaps but the problem was that once you had a legal key you could share it around as much as you wanted, so effectively they had given the software away. Its not hard to find a legal key. The problem until then was it would only unlock two machines at any one time and you needed to deregister one ot those if you wanted to put it on another. I think there was at least some suggestions this was not entirely an accident but a way of allowing people to learn on a deprecated version with the hope they would then move on to the subscription option.

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
01 September 2017 07:45
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from redbaron
Legally perhaps but the problem was that once you had a legal key

If you didnt have previous licence for CS2 then the key Adobe published was not a legal key for you.

01 September 2017 08:53
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from PHP_Photography
If you didnt have previous licence for CS2 then the key Adobe published was not a legal key for you.

I never suggested it was legal, nor did anyone else. Only that it was 'free' in the sense that anyone with an ounce of nouse could find a working key online. As someone who pays out more than a small amount each month on software licensing for my business I'm certainly not approving that behavior. Or the talk of key cracking by the O.P.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
02 September 2017 03:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from redbaron
I never suggested it was legal, nor did anyone else. Only that it was 'free' in the sense that anyone with an ounce of nouse could find a working key online. As someone who pays out more than a small amount each month on software licensing for my business I'm certainly not approving that behavior. Or the talk of key cracking by the O.P.

Going off on a tangent... photography has to be one of the most hypocritical groups in this sense.  I've seen endless posts over the years from photographers screaming blue murder that their copyright's been violated in one way or another, and how can they get recompense for their work and yet there seems to to be a very blasé attitude from photographers when it comes to copyright theft with software when you think they'd know better, especially from those running businesses who you'd think would appreciate the value of being paid for work.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Cody JuliaK
callmekev Daveinsurrey diphoto ElegantCaptures GlasgowPhotographer Jb3329 JOOPninja Kjoservices Lenz Look_Sharp malpro Mattcairns MIB paulj1980 Platidonio plld Skystudio sniffer stevefitzhulme TheStudioMK Tink7 viewphotographic Willjamieson zzdigital
harbourstudio